Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Didn’t want to go off track on the other thread about Redding presses so am starting anew. Anyone here use one of these presses? Please share your thoughts. I realize they may not produce superior ammo but I really enjoy using quality tools and this tool just oozes quality and smoothness. Not here to debate if it is worth the cost. It doesn’t cost more than a good medium grade rifle or scope. Just trying to learn more from those who might own and use one.
Cheers

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool topic. Interested myself

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use one and so far as I am concerned it is the absolute pinnacle of turret press available. Should you purchase one make sure you purchase both the 419 shellholder set and the die nut set with it as it is just easier with them.

A local fella came around to give it a whirl and managed to crush the top of a new 7x64 Lapua case when he held the case slightly misaligned with his hand...he didn't even feel it.
I have the handle about half way in and it full length sizes 7x64 and 270 like they are 223, just smooth and no strain.

Setting up dies is an absolute breeze...and you just ignore primers.

Hearing this explained pales to insignificance when you first get to use it.

Worth every single penny!

And for what it is worth a local 'roo shooter mate purchased one as well.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
$1275. Wow!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
JS,
Thanks for the tips. I’m thinking I just blew up this months Visa bill, LOL.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using one of these since they came out. Absolutely worth the money.

Pros:
-smooth operation
-VERY consistent shoulder bump and seating depth
-proprietary shell holder set (sold separately, but you don't have to use them) allowed easy shoulder bump adjustments and is much cheaper than buying multiple Redding Competition shell holder sets
-no problems with spent primers, they land in an easy to empty tray every time
-proprietary die rings make set-up VERY easy, and you can use conventional rings if you wish
-easy to change turrets for swapping between cartridges--I put all my 6.5s on one head along with a universal die with a 262" mandrel, all my .30s on one, etc.

Cons:
-expensive
-not much room to work with small cartridges like .17 Ackley if you have big hands

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ultimate Reloader has a video or two covering this press and goes over it in detail. I would highly recommend you go check his youtube videos out if you are interested. Looks like an amazing piece of precision equipment. I just don't think I can justify it over my Redding T7 for the stuff I do with my deer rifles. If I was into serious precision shooting or matches, I would probably give this some serious thought.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh hell, I can't justify it either. But at 70 years old I don't have to, lol.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
It looks nice and costs a whole lot. (to me) just me speaking! For that much money, it should be fully automated. Just sayin!

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cs2blue
It looks nice and costs a whole lot. (to me) just me speaking! For that much money, it should be fully automated. Just sayin!

Costs way too much for what it is

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a pretty obscene price but it looks nice.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by cs2blue

Costs way too much for what it is

👍

There is a threshold where the return rapidly diminishes to nothing gained in terms of accurate ammo.

Take shoulder bumping—the precision of the bump and spring back has everything to do with the brass, and to a lesser extent the die.

Once within certain tolerances the alignment of the ram and die hole doesn’t make a difference because [/i]the brass follows the dimensions of the die.[i] Even with conventional presses there is a bit of self alignment (slop) between the brass and shelholder, and then the shellholder and the ram. This allows the brass to follow the dimensions of the die. The CO-AX press with its “floating” head is doing what is already being done with a conventional press.

Check out Gavin’s 14 Press Shootout and click on the links that compares runout, shoulder bump, etc between the presses, including the Prazipress which I think costs more than the 419 press. The Rockchucker comes VERY close to the Prazipress in most categories.

Note: I’m not advocating solely the Rockchucker because the Bosses and the Victory press will generally produce equally good ammo.

It’s one thing if we have to practically stand on the press handle to perform an operation, but most of the quality presses will easily crush any case out there short of the 50 BMG with only moderate effort.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Oh hell, I can't justify it either. But at 70 years old I don't have to, lol.

And that is where I have arrived at.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one, along with a Redding T7 and a Redding UltraMag. I like it so much that I rarely use the other presses. The lock nuts are an absolutely brilliant way to lock and forget dies. Well worth the money to me. I have my presses on quick detachable inline fabrication mounts so it's easy peasy to switch back and forth without taking up bench space. The way it captures spent primers is awesome too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I have one, along with a Redding T7 and a Redding UltraMag. I like it so much that I rarely use the other presses. The lock nuts are an absolutely brilliant way to lock and forget dies. Well worth the money to me. I have my presses on quick detachable inline fabrication mounts so it's easy peasy to switch back and forth without taking up bench space. The way it captures spent primers is awesome too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Prior to the Zero I had a T-7 with a creedmore head, and a big blue Simplex O frame, this thing replaced both and does a better job than both. I sold the two press' and they paid for almost half the purchase price of the Zero.

I am sorry these were not available when I was 'roo shooting, just a pleasure to use.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
None of us "need" what most of us own. We could survive just fine with a beater car, a used Savage or Ruger American and a $15 Mora knife. Yet the vast majority of us own guns, vehicles, knives, etc that cost way more than the basic items for no other reason other than we like them.

Appreciate the tips from the guys who own and use this press. I am 95% certain one will be coming my way soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a dude driving a new Raptor tell me that my Accuracy International rifle was stupid because he of what it costs. Then after I beat him in the match, I only won because of my expensive rifle. You really gotta take people for what they are and that’s a biased, flawed being.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by drop_point
I had a dude driving a new Raptor tell me that my Accuracy International rifle was stupid because he of what it costs. Then after I beat him in the match, I only won because of my expensive rifle. You really gotta take people for what they are and that’s a biased, flawed being.

When I see people with nicer gear than I have I am just pleased someone can have nice stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point

Damn,
You are nice.

Seriously, no sarcasm.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,063
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.