Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let's assume a fellow has a very nice S&W Model 14-3 of late 1960's vintage, like most Model 14's it's very accurate, is in Very Good to Excellent shape with finish about 98% or even better, and came from the factory with a target trigger and hammer. Further assume this fellow's ability to resolve sights and target together has diminished somewhat, but he can still lay'em in the bullseye as good as ever with a reflex sight.

Would you drill and tap the top strap to mount a reflex sight - it only requires one hole under the rear sight leaf - or leave it original for whatever collector value it may have and use that as an excuse to go look for some K-frame .38 in much lesser condition to d&t?

So - drill or not drill?

I know which way I'm, uh, I mean this hypothetical fellow is leaning, but just curious of other's opinions on d&t this particular hypothetical Model 14 or any other older "collectible" revolver in general.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just sold a new in the box K-38 Target Masterpiece that I had since the 1980's. Would never dream of drilling one.

I wouldn't do an LS swap on an original 56 Vet for the same reason. Some things you just don't do.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I wouldn't drill it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There’s a lot of 14s out there, not like you’re D&T a Triple Lock Target.

If it’s truly near mint I’d sell it and buy a worn one to D&T and have the money for base, new reflex sight, gunsmith fee, and maybe a bullet mold or ammo. Or maybe I’d buy two well used ones to fool with depending on what the nice one brought.

But if you’re set on keeping the one in question and an optic is the only way you’ll be able to enjoy it, I’d say drill baby drill.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You can get a Taurus TORO, optics-ready revolver very affordably, without drilling a nice classic revolver.

Example,

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ainlessblack-revolver-6-rounds/p/1818136

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Did you buy it to shoot and enjoy or to sit in the safe as an investment to sell later?

That’s all I’d need to know.

I say drill baby drill.

MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It is yours ....drill the fooker.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Drill. They are great revolvers, but not exactly unobtanium and rocketing in value. It is not like you are destroying the finish or adding visible screw holes on the side of it. Use it and enjoy it. I have a 14-2 6" and may someday do the same for the reason you describe.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you plan to sell it or give it away as a pristine family heirloom, do what makes you happy. You don't owe anything to a chunk of steel and wood. Heck, you may be benefiting some person down the road by allowing him to buy something he ordinarily couldn't afford in pristine condition. (How's that for an enabling justification?)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait...we're having a discussion about whether a guy can justify buying another gun, when he's already got the reason all lined up and ready to go?!

Is this a trick question??

Actually: Drill the first gun AND buy the 2nd gun! Put red dots on both of them! How old are you now, Jim? 88? 92? Get whatever you want and bang away until the Lord punches your ticket!

OK...I know you won't do that (even though you should). I vote for drilling the existing gun. You like it; it shoots well; you shoot it well; and, you'll get more satisfaction at the range, shooting a gun you like and have had a long time. Any reduction in value is more than offset by your happiness. You deserve to be happy.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Make it yours and don’t hide it away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do whatever you want, but I wouldn't drill it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Drill baby drill

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If it's part of your 401G to cash out on retirement then don't.

If you just want to leave it as issued so your family can make money on it after you're gone, then drill it and enjoy the gun.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Waders
Wait...we're having a discussion about whether a guy can justify buying another gun, when he's already got the reason all lined up and ready to go?!

Is this a trick question??

Actually: Drill the first gun AND buy the 2nd gun! Put red dots on both of them! How old are you now, Jim? 88? 92? Get whatever you want and bang away until the Lord punches your ticket!

OK...I know you won't do that (even though you should). I vote for drilling the existing gun. You like it; it shoots well; you shoot it well; and, you'll get more satisfaction at the range, shooting a gun you like and have had a long time. Any reduction in value is more than offset by your happiness. You deserve to be happy.

You damn betcha.

While I personally don't care a lick about putting stuff like that on a handgun, I see the value to guys who do. If I felt otherwise I would drill the SOB and sleep soundly afterwards. What I wouldn't drill under any circumstances would be, for example, an absolutely mint pre-war Officer's Model or General Patton's SAA if it dropped into my lap. Such examples define historical/collectable value. Hell, I'd drill a nifty Colt Python if it suited me to in order to shoot it better (but thank god I don't care fothose kind of sights so it's a moot point). When I'm gone I won't care if value is subtracted, I'll be dead.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sell as is, buy another in lesser condition to drill is what I would do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What I wouldn't drill under any circumstances would be, for example, an absolutely mint pre-war Officer's Model or General Patton's SAA if it dropped into my lap. Such examples define historical/collectable value.

I'd sell them for $25 at a gun buyback.

Just kidding. Remember this one?

[video:youtube]
[/video]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You will get both answers & only you can decide. If you think you might ever get rid of it, then don't do it. If you plan on keeping it until your dying days & hand it down then enjoy it, that's what you got it for so why not get the most fun out of it while you can.

Dick

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A gun is just a tool that is meant to be used, so i say drill it and enjoy it.
A gun sitting in a safe , never to be fired seems senseless to me.
Collect stamps if you want something to save!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect that in the long run the hit to the gun's value by drilling that hole will be less than you fear, but that wouldn't have stopped me anyway in all likelihood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.