Print Thread
Hop To
F
Freezer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have been rescuing old neglected guns for years. Recently, a broke butt neighbor handed me an old SxS with a shattered stock and asked if I could repair it. Well..... I can't, it's shattered and I can't find a replacement. I did find one place on eBay, but they want $350 for a stock. I have been all over the net without success. I'm pondering making a poplar stock, but I'm not sure if I can, my tools and experience are limited for such a complicated inletting job. All in all, it's a nice old gun and would be a fun utility shotgun. I would mind Duracoating the entire thing if the parts don't match or if I make the stock.

Where can I get a stock? I remember from a long time ago a place in North or South Carolina that had old used gun stocks, but I can't find them.

Crescent Arms, Empire 60.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have made 3 stocks for SxS's. One Ithaca, and two Fox Sterlingworths. Even for a Crescent Arms, you probably won't want to pay what a stock maker would charge.

The inletting is challenge for the flat springs, safety, parts actuated buy the lever, triggers, and firing pins. Then worry about getting both sides to mate exactly with the back of the receiver. If you don't get the grain of the blank laid out right, it will crack in the neck.

You will pull your hair out by the time you make the forearm and get it fitted.

Once you have all that fitted, then you have to get LOP, drop at comb and butt, pitch cut correctly and I put cast on mine. If not, you won't be able to hit squat with it.

I'd buy the Ebay one in a minute.

Maybe someone on these forums can help you.

http://forum.foxcollectors.com/

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/crescent-double-barrel-shotgun.538752/

Here are two of the three I made.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The other Fox, I also rebarreled it.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/27/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Nice work, Vince.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Excellent....Well done!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
F
Freezer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I love it, but I'm not that good. That is the $350 or better kind of work that I'm not capable of. Did you inlet the stocks yourself? If so, how and what machines did it take?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The checkering up in front of the tang is incredible. I'd have been scared to go that far up there, no matter where the lines led. But I'm not great at checkering.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Freezer
I love it, but I'm not that good. That is the $350 or better kind of work that I'm not capable of. Did you inlet the stocks yourself? If so, how and what machines did it take?

I did it all myself by hand. Only power tools were a band saw to cut the blank, router to rough cut some shape and power sander in spots. I recently sold all my checkering tools to Mr.Fixit on here .My hands are all messed up from arthritis to do any fine work now days.

The walnut is from two 3" x 12" planks, 14 foot long that my brother cut off constructions sites and had sawn. It was in his barn for about twenty years. I still have enough to do about four rifle stocks.

Here are four more I made, Model 70 ,pre 64, TC Hawkin ML, a TC Black Diamond ML, and an old Marlin 94, 38-40

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/28/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Freezer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Oh! I like them! This SxS has some really intricate in-leting. I may try with some poplar before I screw up walnut. I need to buy the gun before I put too much work into it. I would be happy to paint the stock flat black and Duracoat the metal.

Last edited by Freezer; 01/28/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Poplar is arguably one of the crappier choices for a stock, but it's your circus!

It'll take the same time and energy to do it with walnut. Use a plain piece of walnut which is cheap, if you screw it up you're only out a couple bucks but if it turns out ok you'll have a stock and not have to do it all over again.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look up US Gunstocks in Marysville Calif.
There used to be a company in that area I believe. They made stocks and had patterns for old guns including sxs shotguns.
I think that company either sold out or burned. Since US gunstocks is in the general area, (IIRC) possibly they have the patterns
Good luck

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You indicate that the stock is shattered. If you have all the pieces is it possible to glue it together sufficient to use as a pattern?

Last edited by dian; 01/30/24.
F
Freezer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The stock is shattered and some Bubba repairs were attempted. There are some large chunks missing on one side, but there's enough left that I could use for patterning. I'll scrape and clean the shattered areas, apply wrap it while testing, then glue and wrap it. My tools are limited but with a drill press, router bits, Dremel tool, and hand chisels I think I can experiment with junk wood to prepare myself for a run at it. I have some plexi glass that I can develop patterns from. I've hand formed some simple stock in the past but a SXS is a different animal.

F
Freezer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thank you for the lead, their prices start at $350.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Mathew 22: 37-39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Amos63, 44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.