Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is there a consensus or at least what are your experiences with using a body sizing die between neck (say Lee collet die) sizings?

Or, is it feasible to simply take the decapping pin/mandrel out of a FL die and use that as a body die?

Before anyone asks "why not just use the FL die as intended", because I'd like to avoid dragging a sizing button back out through case necks.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Removing decapping mandrel from a full length sizing die will still result in sizing down the neck. All you've done is remove the expanding element after the neck is sized down.

Last edited by dye7barrel; 01/29/24.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Removing decapping mandrel from a full length sizing die will still result in sizing down the neck. All you've done is remove the expanding element after the neck is sized down.

See the above about not dragging a sizing mandrel back UP through the neck. A Lee collet die does not do this.

But yes, I admit it still works the neck of course. Its also free if i already have it.

Last edited by Igloo; 01/29/24.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you are using a bushing sizing die, then yes, you can simply remove the decapping pin/sizing button and bushing and it will function the same as a body die. If you are using a traditional sizing die like an RCBS or Lee, then no, it is not the same. A body die only sizes the body, it does not touch the neck. A Lee or other traditional sizing die will size the neck down dramatically and you'll have to use an expander mandrel to achieve the neck tension you want (when you remove the decapping pin/sizing button). A Lee Collet neck sizing die will not work to open the neck back up as the neck will be sized down so far, it won't go around the LCD decapping pin.

Last edited by Torque; 01/29/24.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Igloo, if you are willing to take the extra step, you can: 1. remove the expander and size the case 2. replace the expander and push it down into the die to decap and expand the neck so the bullet can be seated but without pulling the neck off-center as sometimes happens.

Having said that, I have almost completely switched to Redding body dies and Lee collets, it just simply works great.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Depending on your inventory you may have "body dies" already. For example, a 7mm08 FL sizer works fine as a body die for 243 Winchester. (Expander removed of course.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can remove your expander from a FL die, but you WILL be sizing the outside of the neck. Depending on the cartridge and what I'm using it for, I sometimes use a Redding Type-S FL die without a bushing or expander--essentially it is a body die in this configuration.

I choose to do this on progressive presses or for competition ammunition where I want the brass fully prepped minus the intended neck-sizing. I find prepping brass ahead of time, there will be different degrees of spring-back.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks y'all!

Torque, understood! I was unaware that it would end up sized down too far for the Lee Collet die to fix.

Really good info though, everyone. Appreciate it!

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Igloo, if you are willing to take the extra step, you can: 1. remove the expander and size the case 2. replace the expander and push it down into the die to decap and expand the neck so the bullet can be seated but without pulling the neck off-center as sometimes happens.

Having said that, I have almost completely switched to Redding body dies and Lee collets, it just simply works great.

Thanks for passing that along. THink I'll just go the same way, with Redding body dies and Lee collets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well mathman and I agree for once.

For a body die for my 260 Rem, I just take the spindle out of a 7/08 or 308 FL Die and I have a body die.

Use a 260 die for a body die for the 243, and an 06 die for a 270 die ( although I don't run it down as low, as its a little longer than an 06 case. )

Figured this out after buying a couple of Redding body dies for $30 each...

Use my 6 x 45 FL die as a body die for my 223 cases now... which is a small base die.

I size most of my cases with a "body die" as above and then use a Hornady neck sizer or a Lee Neck sizing die.

I've also been annealing most of my brass after each shot the last couple of years.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well mathman and I agree for once.

For a body die for my 260 Rem, I just take the spindle out of a 7/08 or 308 FL Die and I have a body die.

Use a 260 die for a body die for the 243, and an 06 die for a 270 die ( although I don't run it down as low, as its a little longer than an 06 case. )

Figured this out after buying a couple of Redding body dies for $30 each...

Use my 6 x 45 FL die as a body die for my 223 cases now... which is a small base die.

I size most of my cases with a "body die" as above and then use a Hornady neck sizer or a Lee Neck sizing die.

I've also been annealing most of my brass after each shot the last couple of years.

Interesting. So a Whelen die would work as a body die for a 30-06? Or am I not figuring this right.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Interesting. So a Whelen die would work as a body die for a 30-06? Or am I not figuring this right.

You got it right.

Because the Whelen has a larger neck diameter the neck of the 06 will never touch the neck of the Whelen die.

I still buy Redding body dies because they seem to produce less spring back when bumping the shoulders.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/29/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Igloo

See the above about not dragging a sizing mandrel back UP through the neck. A Lee collet die does not do this.

But yes, I admit it still works the neck of course. Its also free if i already have it.

But…LCD’s generally don’t like to size a neck UP. Puts a lot of pressure upward on the mandrel and the cap.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

You got it right.

Because the Whelen has a larger neck diameter the neck of the 06 will never touch the neck of the Whelen die.

I still buy Redding body dies because they seem to produce less spring back when bumping the shoulders.

Yeah it all makes sense, just one of those things that somebody had to prod my thinker with. Too busy figuring everything else sometimes and never gave it a thought. I suppose because body dies were never something I used or felt I needed, but it's a good trick to know. Thanks.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't shoot a 35 Whelen, but I do shoot a 338/06.

I use that as a body die for the 06 brass...and it works out just fine.

it is a Redding Die Set.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Igloo

But…LCD’s generally don’t like to size a neck UP. Puts a lot of pressure upward on the mandrel and the cap.

That was indeed the part I was unaware of! Didn't know the Lee FL die would reduce the diameter of a neck so much that the LCD shouldn't be used.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For you guys using body dies (or the appropriate FL die to act as a body die) what regimen do you follow for how often to use it? Every time? Every so many firings?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just me, I bump shoulders every time. .0015-.003 depending on the cartridge, but I have gotten to like not worrying about how a cartridge chambers, they always go in the same.

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
An honest question. Why not just full length size with a bushing FL die to set the shoulder back .002 and set neck tension at .002+/_? Cortina did a coupleYoutube videos where he asked the question of BR shooters including at least one BR Hall of Fame shooter and all recommend FL sizing for every loading. If you don't agree with full length sizing I can see the use for a body die.

I'm asking this to learn, not provoke.

Thanks.

Frank

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fshaw
An honest question. Why not just full length size with a bushing FL die to set the shoulder back .002 and set neck tension at .002+/_? Cortina did a coupleYoutube videos where he asked the question of BR shooters including at least one BR Hall of Fame shooter and all recommend FL sizing for every loading. If you don't agree with full length sizing I can see the use for a body die.

I'm asking this to learn, not provoke.

Thanks.

Frank

I am that guy, set my FL dies, both bushing and normal for a small shoulder set back each time. Works for me.

Some folks like neck sizing since you don't have to really lube anything and it can be faster maybe?

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 44mc, 35, 10 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.