Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I’m looking at purchasing a Howa mini. I plan to swap out the bottom metal and I’m looking for opinions on the Jefferson outdoors and the oregun. I’m also going to replace the stock with either one from oregun or b&c. The oregun one seems much lighter, any feedback? Thank you all in advance

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have the Jefferson hinged bottom metal , it is superb. Have factory stock, though the carbon fiber "seconds" from Stockys Stocks looked good , they don't have a "second" listed that I can see at this time... Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can’t comment on the stock but the JO is the way to go for the bm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the Oregon bottom metal and had one helluva time getting it to feed correctly. With that being said, it works fine now. If I ever purchase another one, it will be the JO. I put a Stocky's corbon fiber seconds stock on my Mini and I like it. The thing that I think about it that after you buy a $175 bottom metal and a $300 or more stock, you have an awful lot in a rifle that is never going to sell for what you have in it. But, they do look and shoot good.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Can’t comment on the stock but the JO is the way to go for the bm.

Yes. Very nice unit.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have the Oregon bottom metal and had one helluva time getting it to feed correctly. With that being said, it works fine now. If I ever purchase another one, it will be the JO. I put a Stocky's corbon fiber seconds stock on my Mini and I like it. The thing that I think about it that after you buy a $175 bottom metal and a $300 or more stock, you have an awful lot in a rifle that is never going to sell for what you have in it. But, they do look and shoot good.

Having done it both ways, I think the easy way is to just buy a Carbon Stalker, then pick a BM solution and you’re done, unless you want to paint that slippery stock. Not cheap, but it gets you a very nice rig. If and when the SS versions appear, I’ll get one and swap over my goodies to it: Pendleton stock and J.O. floorplate.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Pappy, new to mini's, what is a BM solution ?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bottom metal solution. Jefferson outdoors is the answer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree on the Jefferson. Have had the Oregun Hinged, JO Hinged and JO CZ conversion. I really like the CZ the best of any of them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hangs down like any CZ 527 with a 5-round.

With a three round mag it is nearly flush.

With the "Bob Sled" it will feed Fireball cases really well. A major consideration since I plan to convert a .223 over to something on the Fireball case for a dedicated colony varmint gun.

I have the carbon fiber second on my current mini which I like for a general purpose carrying rifle. It is so light it kinda has a "toy" feel to it. I think the Oregun stock looks like a winner also. My heavy barrel(s) rigs will wear B&C or Boyds laminates.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by PatB

A BM solution sounds like something you ingest prior to a colonoscopy. eek

IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

You nailed it. Barreled action $400, second stock $300, JO bottom metal $200, barrel chop to 17 inches and rethread $150...I am over $1100 w/o scope and rings. I haven't even got it completely together yet and hope it shoots well. If I didn't want a 6ARC so bad, I'd have just got another Tikka and know it would shoot. Howa money pit is more like it.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sorry. Bottom metal.

I started with a OG hinged unit on my Grendel, then replaced it with a JO. When I bought a Carbon Stalker .223, I bought a JO CZ mag unit like MedRiver shows above. It limits the OAL to standard, but as you can see in the pics, looks really nice and works perfectly. I need to get another mag or two for that while the gettin’s good.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Glad to hear everyone saying they are pits. I picked up a 7.62x39 barreled action off classifieds a few weeks back, then a stock and scope. Trying to find bottom metal in stock. Then want to rebarrel to a 6 arc. For a “cheap” option sure spend alot. Lol

J
jdb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Anyone have the timney trigger?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is something wrong with the minis that all these modifications are necessary?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I agree on the Jefferson. Have had the Oregun Hinged, JO Hinged and JO CZ conversion. I really like the CZ the best of any of them.

Hangs down like any CZ 527 with a 5-round.

With a three round mag it is nearly flush.

With the "Bob Sled" it will feed Fireball cases really well. A major consideration since I plan to convert a .223 over to something on the Fireball case for a dedicated colony varmint gun.

I have the carbon fiber second on my current mini which I like for a general purpose carrying rifle. It is so light it kinda has a "toy" feel to it. I think the Oregun stock looks like a winner also. My heavy barrel(s) rigs will wear B&C or Boyds laminates.

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Sorry. Bottom metal.

I started with a OG hinged unit on my Grendel, then replaced it with a JO. When I bought a Carbon Stalker .223, I bought a JO CZ mag unit like MedRiver shows above. It limits the OAL to standard, but as you can see in the pics, looks really nice and works perfectly. I need to get another mag or two for that while the gettin’s good.

I use the JO bdl on a Grendel and an ARC. It's a great improvement to the rifle.

Recently picked up a Legend to play with. Was originally considering JO's aluminum bm that uses the Howa mags. After seeing MedRiver's, I think JO's CZ conversion with the 3 round mag would be pretty nice...if they work.

Will CZ 527 223 mags work with the .350 Legend?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by blairvt
Is something wrong with the minis that all these modifications are necessary?
No they work well without modifications. The only real big deal is the detachable mag and mag release. It is really easy to hit the mag release and drop the mag by accident. Need to make some mods to prevent this or be real careful... Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The thing that I think about it that after you buy a $175 bottom metal and a $300 or more stock, you have an awful lot in a rifle that is never going to sell for what you have in it.
Since folks have to piece together parts to get them right, it's also possible to part a rifle out and get most of your money back due to the demand for parts.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Will CZ 527 223 mags work with the .350 Legend?

Looks like 300 BO mags are needed due to the scalloped sides on the .223 mags. Feel free to add to or clarify...I've not touched a 527 so I'm ignorant.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/cz-527-300-blackout-magazine-length.1273999/

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Beware, the CZ 527 mags are already scarce as hens teeth and very expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 6 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,137
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.