Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Pale rider šŸ‘
Iā€™ll second that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The opening scene and the writing of the prologue is one of the best in any movie of any genre. To me, ā€œUnforgivenā€ is easily in the top ten, certainly in the top 5,and maybe the top 3 Westerns ever..

She was a comely young woman and not without prospects. Therefore it was heartbreaking to her mother that she would enter into marriage with William Munny, a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition. When she died, it was not by his hands as her mother might have expected, but of smallpox. That was 1878.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Shoot out at the ugly outhouse

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ā€œJosey Walesā€ is top 5, ā€œPale Riderā€ doesnā€™t make the list.
Searchers is 1, Tombstone 2, Once Upon A Time 3, Josey Wales 4, Bend Of The River 5.
From there on back, the sequence will usually change depending on what I saw last!šŸ˜€
Shane and Highnoon are great movies, but not top ten.
3:10 (1963), Cheyenne Social Club, Jubal, Red River, Shootist. In addition there probably a dozen others I love just as much.
Magnificent 7 easy Good Bad Ugly too.
To put Unforgiven higher than these I listed makes 0 sense to me.
Very good, not great!
Reon

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 01/30/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." ļæ½ Wesley Pruden

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Gene Hackman's character is interesting. Hates the dime novel characters, but perceives himself as the real deal. Almost God like, he intends to enforce righteous behavior. " But I was building my house" has to be one of the most pathetic expressions ever uttered.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unforgiven was not very entertaining it lacked any sense of humor. The Eastwood spaghetti westerns had some humor. So did the magnificent Seven, remember McQueen saying we deal in lead?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unforgiven was meant to dispel the Hollywood western myths so anyone that loved the John Wayne westerns of the 50s and 60s may not like Unforgiven.
1. No heros in Unforgiven. Every character is flawed so it is hard to like and root for anyone.
2. The whores arenā€™t sweet and pretty. The only better portrayal of western whore life was Deadwood.
3. The sheriff ainā€™t a good guy on a white horse. He is a violent killer.
4. No one wins in the end and rides off in the sunset. Instead Will Munny rides the pale horse out of town on a mud filled street in a rain storm shouting threats to the town people.

I thought it was great but I have liked a lot of movies that donā€™t have a happy ending.
I never cared for The Searchers but I canā€™t say why.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Just watched it again last night.
Very good movie. Good plot, pretty good cast, but I still canā€™t put it in my top 10 Westerns.
To be honest, maybe itā€™s a little too dark for me. I want my cowboy heroes to be good guys I guess. But that ainā€™t completely it either.
I love Duke in ā€œThe Searchersā€ā€™and ā€œRed Riverā€, Fonda in ā€œOnce Upon A Timeā€ and Glenn Ford in ā€œ3:10 To Yumaā€. All top 10s for me, 2 of them top 5 easily!
I canā€™t really put my finger on anything definite but thereā€™s many others I like much more for whatever reason.
Reon

Watched it again late last year. I had stayed away from it because of the darkness. However, this time around I appreciated the darkness of the subject.

Many of us were raised up with the white hat cowboy. His killing and violence was righteous. Eastwood did a great job of portraying how much darkness, sin if you will, resides within all of us. Life isnā€™t black and white like weā€™d like it to be. Thereā€™s a lot of gray out there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by KFWA
Searchers is a dark movie for the 50's. Wayne's character was broken.

That's why I like Hondo, its classic Wayne

Yep. And Searchers is based very loosely on the real life story of Cynthia Ann Parker. Chief Quanah Parkerā€™s mother.

The Searches will always be the all time Best Western in my book, and also one of the best movies ever made. Period. šŸ¤ 

And Tombstone, which is 10 times better than Unforgiven, is definitely in the Top 10. Top 5 in my book, for sure.

Unforgiven was OK. But not one of the Top 10 Best Westerns of all time.

The best part of Unforgiven was when Little Bill was taunting the ā€œDuck of Deathā€ while he had him in jail.
And offered him his six shooter. šŸ˜‚
No no no the best part of unforgivin was the whore who said lil bill had a good name šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Anyone notice that the woman who played the whore with the cut up face was also in Tombstone. Her face had the same scars as in Unforgiven. Easy to spot a it was when S am E lliot saves her son from being trampled by the "cowboys".
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
No Country for Old Men isn't exactly a feel-good movie either, But I would include it in my top 10 westerns. Unforgiven in my top 3.

I never considered No Country for Old Men a western. smile

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by longarm
No Country for Old Men isn't exactly a feel-good movie either, But I would include it in my top 10 westerns. Unforgiven in my top 3.

I never considered No Country for Old Men a western. smile
Yeah, where did that come from?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Art, at its finest isn't meant to entertain if it is authentic and sincere. Entertainment is wonderful and enjoyable. Art delves into emotions, ideas, timeless situations that force human beings to face conflicts, challenges, and difficult choices that will change and define them profoundly forever. Loyalty, primal urges, herd mentality, fate, survival, hubris and greed and idealism all figure into this grim tale of good tortured by evil. And struggle for redemption, flawed as it is as well. It accomplishes a lot in a deceptively simple plot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Art, at its finest isn't meant to entertain if it is authentic and sincere. Entertainment is wonderful and enjoyable. Art delves into emotions, ideas, timeless situations that force human beings to face conflicts, challenges, and difficult choices that will change and define them profoundly forever. Loyalty, primal urges, herd mentality, fate, survival, hubris and greed and idealism all figure into this grim tale of good tortured by evil. And struggle for redemption, flawed as it is as well. It accomplishes a lot in a deceptively simple plot.

An astute analysis, CP.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad

An astute analysis, CP.

L.W.
+1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Unforgiven was good, but it was Clint's attempt to undo the glamor of all the gun play in all the Westerns he and others did in the past. It was too much of that message for me.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
7mmbuster: "Very good" - I disagree, it was an excellent if not exceptional movie!
Maybe YOU are not aware the movie "Unforgiven" is one of just 3 (three!) "westerns" to ever win the Academy Award for "Best Picture"!
There have been a LOT of western movies made here in America.
The movie won 4 (four) Academy Awards and was nominated for a total of 9 (nine!) Academy Awards.
The movie cost $14,000,000.00 (fourteen million dollars) to make and brought in $160,000,000.00 (one hundred and sixty million dollars) in its initial theatrical run.
This is not counting after initial run income.
Additionally Clint Eastwood was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor but lost that year to Al Pacino ("Scent Of A Woman").
I am just puzzled that you only rate this gem at "very good" - I again, disagree.
Long live Clint Eastwood (great actor and director).
You almost earned a dreaded "sheesh" with your under-rating!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

"Shakespeare in Love" beat out "Saving Private Ryan" for best picture in 1998. Worthless metric.

"Avengers' Infinity War" brought in over $2,000,000,000.00. Another worthless metric.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Unforgiven was good, but it was Clint's attempt to undo the glamor of all the gun play in all the Westerns he and others did in the past. It was too much of that message for me.

Maybe. However gunplay still features prominently, as in the bar scene and the murder of Little Bill..

I think the movie ended the 'white knight' traditional hero of standard earlier westerns, possibly for good. In that way it functions as sort of a genre redefining piece.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I really liked Unforgiven...BECAUSE it wasn't a typical Hollywood Western..

That is not saying Hollywood Westerns, where the good guy gets the girl etc, are bad. I like the diversity.

I love John Wayne's last movie, "The Shootist" also.

Real life isn't Hollywood, and neither was the Wild West. I'd bet in the real world, more people were killed in the old west, by being shot in the back and never see it coming. And those doing the killing weren't any type of western hero righting wrongs either.

I like a good movie that shows diverse situations. IN "Unforgiven" I see a message of what today's world is being unfair, instead of the Good Guys always winning. Life isn't always fair... in fact more often than not, it isn't fair to many. I see that message in the movie " Unforgiven".. I think the name says the message it sends, in the best way. Be it the old West, or today's world.

Many of us subtly complain about society, and the "establishment". We can look at heroes fighting against it and uprooting it, even for just a brief moment. That is exactly like the story line in "Unforgiven", as I see it.

The hero rides off, not into the sunset, like traditional Hollywood Endings, but in the pouring rain in the dark of night, threatening that NO ONE better follow or come after him. And they better leave those "whores" alone, or he'll come back and kill anyone and all their family members and destroy all of their property.

Those mirror feelings people can see in today's daily society.... The Little Man, vs Big Government, and their putting their bootheal on everyone's neck. IN a western on TV, the little people can fight back and win by standing up and fighting for what they believe in.. yet standing up for what you believe in, still doesn't make the world all "all blue skies and clear sailing". It will still be big government, somewhere else the next day, and it will be right back after being briefly overcome.

There are social messages in a lot of movies, especially in the last 30 plus years...and a western is a good theme to show the conflict, without raising enough red flags, for many people to see how it applies to our daily lives now.

If nothing else, social messages in a neutral light, lets us draw a comparison to our daily lives now...but many never see the message that the writers put into the stories.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

ā€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.ā€ ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Seafire
Real life isn't Hollywood, and neither was the Wild West. I'd bet in the real world, more people were killed in the old west, by being shot in the back and never see it coming. And those doing the killing weren't any type of western hero righting wrongs either.

John, for a fairly historical short book about the wild west - try "Wildest of the Wild West" by Howard Bryan.
As far as I can tell it is pretty accurate. You'll recognize some of the pictures.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,450
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.