Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I need some stock refinishing advice. First of all let me clarify that I am not a wood worker or refinisher. I can screw up practically anything to do with that type of work. I am looking for simple and easy.

So here is the issue - I have a CZ 457 American on the way and it has a walnut stock the "muddy" looking finish on it. What I am looking for is ideas for a stripper that will remove that finish (whatever it is) and not leave a lot of fuzz on the wood that requires sanding. I can really screw things up with a piece of sandpaper. Hopefully after stripping I can get by with just using some 0000 steel wool.

Then I need ideas for finish to put on the stock. I am looking for simple, not something that requires multiple layers of hand-rubbed finish. I just want to put something on it that will protect the wood and look better than the "mud" finish.
I can see through the "mud" finish enough to know that there is no character to the wood so there is not any point in wasting a lot of time doing something that I don't enjoy.

In the past I used a product called Deft One-Step but it must have been too good because it is no longer available. Is there something similar that anyone knows of - Tru-Oil perhaps, or MinWax with built in stain?
Or any other ideas for something that don't require hours and hours of rubbing and drying.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HOWARD Feed n Wax - Wood Conditioner & Beeswax Polish

Applied some directly to a CZ MTR stock and was very pleased with the results. The wood is darker and richer in appearance with a waxed finish rather than the nondescript factory finish.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You could also just rub it firmly with 0000 steel wool, which will often cut down the muddy finish enough to reveal more grain--and doesn't require application of anything "extra."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
G
I have re-finished (2) CZ 457's.

I tried a couple different popular "strippers" on the market to no avail. None of them worked very well, so I took the stock to a local wood working shop and they were able to get the finish stripped off using commercial grade strippers. They said it didn't come off easy though.

After that I sanded with 400 grit to get the desired texture and then applied 6-8 coats of Tru-oil. They both came out nice.

It was a lot of work but I'm glad I did it now. The wood under that "muddy" finish on CZ's is usually rather nice.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I refinished a CZ 527 years ago. Used some kind of citrus strip aand all it did was soften it. Then used a butter knife to scrap it off. worked better than I ever imagined it would. very little sanding afterwards. finished with watco oil. Best looking stock I own. Has a 3D effect, looks different when you look at different angles. Its a shame CZ covered up suck pretty wood with whatever finish they use.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 457 Americans I’ve seen had a finish that was not only very dark, but was uneven, the finish itself not the wood. I’d try Mule Deer’s idea first. If it succeeds a little Birchwood Casey gunstock wax applied once in a while will help protect the wood from sweat etc, and won’t harm the metal. Actually that metal is nitrided and pretty impervious to just about everything. Wish more guns came with it.

If you strip the finish, you’re gonna have to do some sanding. Use a sanding block. A small brass brush as is used for suede helps get into the checkering without damage. Sand with the grain. There’s probably a million YouTube videos that’ll show you how to sand properly. Get a tack cloth to remove dust.

I used matte spar polyurethane on a nearly finish-less pre-64 M70 stock, the liquid, not spray. Thinned the first few coats, and all that I applied to the checkering. Sanded lightly between coats. Used cheap sponge brushes, tossed them after use. Came out very nice, still looks good 20+ years later and the rifle stays zeroed since it no longer sucks water from the air.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
found pics of the 527 I redid. Should have taken a before pic. It was just brown and couldn't make out the grain you see now. As you move it around in the sun it changes.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, try to "improve" the existing finish first because if you strip it you'll have no choice but to follow wood finishing protocols you say you don't know how nor want to do.

Pappy- I wouldn't apply a brass brush to checkering, no matter how fine and soft it is. You can't help but soften sharp diamonds to one degree or another. Matte varnish is a lot less UV light resistant than gloss- fact. If a subdued finish is wanted, use gloss varnish and rub out the final coat to the desired effect, then wax it.

Always wax the final coat of any finish you use. Birchwood Casey's liquid stock wax is woeful stuff compared to about any good paste wax. (BC products are average at best, but universally used because their stuff is omniscient in every gun shop in the land. Marketing, baby, marketing.) If you want the best damned wax for your prized possessions use Renaissance Wax, proven in use by the conservators in the great museums of the world. Expensive? Yes, but that little $20 65ml can of the stuff will probably do 50 guns. And it's easy-peasy to apply. I swear if you try it you won't use anything else again.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks to all who have replied

Bumping up for more comments

As I said when it comes to wood I can screw it up just by looking at it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have done a few stocks but that stuff on CZ's was referred to by one here as "gorilla snot". A revered old member here called Karnis (name was Carlos) did mine for me for free. Took him a while.

Just taking this opportunity to recall him to other members. Salute brother.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You could also just rub it firmly with 0000 steel wool, which will often cut down the muddy finish enough to reveal more grain--and doesn't require application of anything "extra."
That works. 4-0 steel wool to cut thru the factory finish enough to make it satin. Then if wanting some sheen, polish with different grades of polishing compound, finer you go the more sheen you get.

I’d do that before stripping unless the stock was pretty beat up. When you sand it, may need to recut checkering which is a lot more work. I’ve done it both ways.

For a full refinish, check out Custom Pro-Oil, a tung oil/urethane finish. Brownells sells it. It’s tougher than Tru-Oil, just slower to work with, dries slower.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ixnay on 0000 steel wool. Oh, it works nicely but microscopic pieces of the steel wool will embed themselves in the finish and announce their presence later as little brown rust freckles if the stock gets wet. Rub out with rottenstone, it isn't rocket science and there's tutorials out there for doing it. Quick and dirty approach also is to use a 3M Scotchbrite pad, but be careful to use the most ultra-fine grade they make (light gray) which can sometimes be difficult to find.

D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by blairvt
found pics of the 527 I redid. Should have taken a before pic. It was just brown and couldn't make out the grain you see now. As you move it around in the sun it changes.

That turned out really nice - I suspect that you have quite a bit of work in that one.

Thanks for picture.

drover

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yep, try to "improve" the existing finish first because if you strip it you'll have no choice but to follow wood finishing protocols you say you don't know how nor want to do.

Pappy- I wouldn't apply a brass brush to checkering, no matter how fine and soft it is. You can't help but soften sharp diamonds to one degree or another. Matte varnish is a lot less UV light resistant than gloss- fact. If a subdued finish is wanted, use gloss varnish and rub out the final coat to the desired effect, then wax it.

Always wax the final coat of any finish you use. Birchwood Casey's liquid stock wax is woeful stuff compared to about any good paste wax. (BC products are average at best, but universally used because their stuff is omniscient in every gun shop in the land. Marketing, baby, marketing.) If you want the best damned wax for your prized possessions use Renaissance Wax, proven in use by the conservators in the great museums of the world. Expensive? Yes, but that little $20 65ml can of the stuff will probably do 50 guns. And it's easy-peasy to apply. I swear if you try it you won't use anything else again.
Thumbs up onto Renaissance Wax! I works on wood, leather, and metal. I rub all the blued barrels and actions before hunting season as a moisture barrier. A little goes a long ways.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are using stripper, wrap the stock in plastic wrap right after applying the stripper. That will hold the moisture in and allow the stripper to penetrate tough finishes. If you sand, make sure you raise the grain and get the little wood hairs off. I'd do a coat of two of stain and then a coat of hand rubbed tung oil/linseed oil, then more stain and finish with a hand rubbed oil finish tung or linseed oil. I liked the hand rubbed finishes because they are easy to touch up or repair dings. An iron with a wet wash cloth and steam will get dings out of the wood better than you think.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ixnay on 0000 steel wool. Oh, it works nicely but microscopic pieces of the steel wool will embed themselves in the finish and announce their presence later as little brown rust freckles if the stock gets wet. Rub out with rottenstone, it isn't rocket science and there's tutorials out there for doing it. Quick and dirty approach also is to use a 3M Scotchbrite pad, but be careful to use the most ultra-fine grade they make (light gray) which can sometimes be difficult to find.

I have heard that before, now and then--and haven't found it to be true. In fact have tested it by pouring water over steel-wool smoothed finishes.

Suspect it might happen depending on the finish, and if the steel wool is pressed really hard on them. But so far haven't had it happen....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sand it off wet 600 grit on a soft block...wipe it off. it's actually really easy
Might take two rotations

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have heard that before, now and then--and haven't found it to be true. In fact have tested it by pouring water over steel-wool smoothed finishes.

Suspect it might happen depending on the finish, and if the steel wool is pressed really hard on them. But so far haven't had it happen....
I've refinished a bunch of M1 Garand stocks using steel wool and I've never seen any rust. Some are maybe 15 years ago.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Had it happen to me twice, once on a M94 stock that I was carrying when caught out in a rainstorm and once on the brightwork (varnished trim) of a sailboat whose owner wanted a dull finish not the gloss of the final coat. Both times with Epifanes spar varnish, and both times rubbed out with 0000 oil-free steel wool.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/02/24.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have yet to see a steel wool rusted stock. Anybody got pictures ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.