Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Just to piss someone off…

Chopped is waaaay better than pulled.

Growing up in Greensboro and weaned on Stamey's, you are absolutely correct!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Never had any bad NC BBQ. Some better than others, but none bad. Other than Wilburs in Kinston NC. Ironically one of the holy grail BBQ places in NC. Tried it three times. Bad everytime.
Wilbur's closed during covid because the irs wanted to be paid, it reopened a couple of years ago under new management and the food is not the same. Real shame to cause I could eat there 3 times a week when it was in it's prime ,oh, Wilbur's is in Goldsboro and Kings is in Kinston they are still on hiway 70 on your out of town headed east.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I make up a dry rub and put it on a butt roast and smoke it. You can put whatever sauce you want on it. I have refer it without any.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have always said that the "best" BBQ is the BBQ you happened to grow up with. Doesn't matter how good you claim it is, somebody from another region is going to say it's rubbish compared to HIS favorite BBQ. And vice versa.

Truth is it's all damn good. Might be different, but it's all good for seconds or thirds.

Same with pizza.

I’ve spent lots of time all over the US and really good pork BBQ can be had in a ton of places. Even places as awful as Nashville, for example. Or Chicago.

It is all different but most of it is good regardless of the “style”. Beef, on the other hand….the Texans are the only one that have it dialed in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m just getting back to the point I can look at pulled pork again. We cooked and vacuum sealed almost 2,000 pounds for our Boy Scout fundraiser last September.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've eaten a lot of BBQ from a lot of places fixed a lot of ways. It's mostly good and I don't mind trying something different. There are only 2 ways I've tried it, and I don't want it. Some places put slaw on the top of a BBQ sandwich. I wouldn't mind it on the side, but don't put it on the meat. Generally I prefer a BBQ plate vs just a sandwich anyway.

The other is the mustard-based South Carolina type. Tried it, didn't like it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have you tried the white sauce in Northern Alabama?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by KFWA
have you tried the white sauce in Northern Alabama?

Not a fan of it myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no one should be

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by KFWA
no one should be

There's a BBQ place out here that has to sauce the crap out of everything they sell with that Alabama white sauce. Place is pretty popular with the locals. Damn shame the only way they survive is because folks don't know what good BBQ is.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
No Pulled Pord to speak of here in NEPA (there are very good Porketta sandwiches and pork barbecues available though). I scratch the pulled pork itch once every month or two with Jack Daniels Pulled Pork, toasted Kings Hawaiian Slider rolls and a dollop of long cut cole slaw. It’s not bad.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We've done a pile of whole pig roasts, a sheep (not great), a couple goats, and more than a few whole deer (need lots of of mop sauce, dries out quickly). We have mastered most of it, but I'd still take some real Carolina BBQ over what we do.

Last edited by Chumleyhunts; 01/30/24.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Most people over load the sauce,and you loose the flavor of the pig ,if it's cooked right you don't need gallons of it sloshed all over everything, the taste of the wood smoke should come through and the sauce just needs to enhance and not overpower the meat . As long as it's pig and cooked properly it's barbecue if it's beef,chicken, bear,or anything else it's grilled or smoked meat but not barbecue

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Maurice Bessinger’s mustard based bbq in Columbia was excellent. It’s long gone now.

The original Bridges in Shelby, NC was excellent too, but I haven’t been there in years.

Those two stood out as worth a trip for me all these years.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Maurice Bessinger’s mustard based bbq in Columbia was excellent. It’s long gone now.

The original Bridges in Shelby, NC was excellent too, but I haven’t been there in years.

+1 on both. I have to hear that Maurice’s is no longer in operation.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Here in Charleston, of course, we get every style of barbecue imaginable and I like them all. Some places do only hams, some do only shoulders and some do whole hog. You’ll find every region’s sauce style as well and again, I like them all. When I smoke pork shoulders I usually make up three batches of sauce, one vinegar based, one mustard based and one sweet and spicy red sauce. I tell people they’re all my own, secret recipe, never quite the same twice. Nobody leaves here hungry, that’s for sure. I’ve had people tell me it’s the best they’ve ever had, but I figure those are people who just haven’t been around much.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Most people over load the sauce,and you loose the flavor of the pig ,if it's cooked right you don't need gallons of it sloshed all over everything, the taste of the wood smoke should come through and the sauce just needs to enhance and not overpower the meat . As long as it's pig and cooked properly it's barbecue if it's beef,chicken, bear,or anything else it's grilled or smoked meat but not barbecue

This entire statement is spot on. Couldn’t be said any better.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by JB in SC

+1 on both. I have to hear that Maurice’s is no longer in operation.
used to order in Maurice's mustard sauce by the case just to change up our Memphis Q once in a while, developed a taste for it!... Best mustard sauce there was IMO...

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I was gonna get bbq this evening and forgot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I cook picnics or Butts on my PK grill on a little smokey hickory or apple wood charcoal and wood fire all day. Mine is as good as anything I bought. I just put a little Loisiana Hot sauce on it to eat it.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

739 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,977
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.