Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
How durable/strong are the current Mod 29s? Would they take lengthy round counts as compared to Ruger Redhawk and Colt's Anaconda? For example, 300g at 1300 fps or about 38,000 CUP. I am looking at a S&W Performance Center Mod 29 for comparison. 7.5" barrel.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 01/29/24.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know much about the Anaconda but if 300s at 1300 fps in a 44 mag were the goal, I'd go with a Redhawk or SBH. Model 29s are a great revolver but that's a fairly heavy load in any 44 revolver

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Seriously, does it really matter since they have a lifetime warranty? Most owners get tired of shooting them before anything loosens up or breaks.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Supposedly, the Endurance Package they came up with years ago makes them able to withstand lots of full-power loads. The Redhawks are bigger and heavier, but whether that translates into durability, I can’t say. Certainly it makes them easier to control and less painful, given proper grips.

Can’t imagine why anyone would need a lot of such heavy loads. A few for special “occasions”, sure.

Maybe an X-Frame would suit you better: .460 or .500. Either should easily handle a load similar to what you specify.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The Smith design goes back to the 1890s, so within that basic design theres only so much done that can make it more durable.

That said, one would be hard pressed to wear one out and if you did, you got a lot of practice and education instead of worrying about the "ifs".

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The DX design was introduced by Smith as a reinforced 29. I think the detuning of the current factory 44 Mag ammo of today may have caused Smith to return to the original 29 design. If so, the Ruger only or Silhouette 44 Mag loads in some manuals should not be used in the regular 29s. The original 29 design will shoot loose with higher pressure loads, seen them come off the line in the middle of silhouette matches with barrels unscrewed and cylinders out of time, not locking up correctly, that is what I mean by shooting loose.

Last edited by Rapier; 01/30/24.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a DX 629 (pre lock 8 3/8). I don't know whats different about the DX but they sure do shoot great. I also have a new hillary hole 6.5 inch 629 for when I need a shorter barrel. A lot of people knock the new ones, and I agree I would prefer no lock, with the firing pin on the hammer. But as far as shooting it is very good. The trigger is just a smidge heavier than the older one, but still no creep, which bothers me more than weight. I know it would shoot as many 300/1300 loads as I would shoot out of it, but most of my shooting is with a 240 at 1100-1200, and only occasional heavy loads. If you want to shoot a lot of heavy loads get a Freedom Arms. The ruger SRH or SBH would probably last longer than a smith but you would have to put up with the trigger for all that time. I have never seen one, even with a trigger job that was as good as the smith or FA trigger but Im sure there are gunsmiths out there that can fix anything with enough time and money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 29 no dash. I sold it the chambers were slightly bulged (I didn't do it). I have a new 629 and I really like it. I prefer S&W revolvers over any other manufacturers. I do have a RSB that is quite accurate. I believe the SBH might be able to handle higher pressures, though I'm not in that frame of mind any more with my 44's.

My choice would be the S&W, due partially to handling properties.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 2 - 629 44 mags. ,you can read about the problems with Smith & Wesson revolvers from Buffalo Bullets can explain it better than i can. i did see a 629 smith and wesson in the mountains the hunter showed me his frame was twisted plenty. what i have read about these 629 revolvers the heavy lead bear ammo in a 44 mag. is not recommended in a Smith & Wesson or a Taurus. they recommend Ruger ,Colt and some others . > it kinda upset me too since i own 2 Smiths and 1 Taurus in 44 mags. and plenty lead bear ammo. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally would not own a new S&W .44 Mag revolver. To each their own.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're as strong as any sane person needs. I dare you to try to wear one out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
They're as strong as any sane person needs. I dare you to try to wear one out.

No intention to ever buy one. I have what I need in .44 Mag. A 6" Anaconda and a 4" 29-2. I'll leave the new Hillary Hole S&W's to someone else.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The DX models were selected and so stamped for their superior accuracy when test fired. By the time they came along the 29 and 629s all had the Endurance package.

As has been stated above. While the N frames may not stand up to as much use with heavy loads as an Anaconda or Redhawk it will still take a lot of shooting to wear one out.

I just purchased an 8 3/8” 629-4, the last of the hammer mounted firing pin pre MIM guns with the intent of making a half lugged 5”. I have not doubt it will last me as long as I will need it.

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I have a model 29-3 that's seen so much hard use, I've retired it from any regular diet of full power loads. Mostly that's for my benefit and not the so much the guns. Some of the hard use that takes a toll on DA swing out cylinder revolvers take place from handling rather than firing. That's the case with mine. The yoke needed attention. The gun got carried in pretty hard circumstances both by me and it's previous owner. Lock up is still back vault tight and accuracy is first rate. Opening the cylinder is not as smooth as when new. I bought a SA Ruger SBH for heavy loads and hard use and keep the old 29 for sentimental reasons, and use it for mid range, and light loads, carrying it in less harsh conditions.

I've only owned two 29's. The lock work on either never exhibited any sign of deteriorating. Both were bought used, and used for outdoor carry and target shooting.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks all. I do have a 4" M29 made in 67. I wish todays actions were as smooth as its. I also have an original 6" Colt Anaconda. Its trigger isn't nearly as good as the old 29. A friend is buying new S&W revolvers. So far he has a Mod 25 and a Mod 57. Wants a Mod 29. The triggers are not up to what S&W uses to do at least on these two. The Mod 25 trigger is terrible. Gritty the entire pull.

I have always liked the looks of the S&W and how they felt in my hand so was thinking of a Performance Center gun in hopes things would be better. I would use it for hunting. Most situation would not require a 300g bullet at 1300 fps, but don't want to damage the gun either. I already have a Ruger 7.5" Bisley in 45 Colt that I plan to hunt with so need has nothing to do with looking at the Smith. Loonyism maybe but that is often enough.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned most of them. Rugers including Super Blackhawks and Redhawks, Freedom Arms, Smith & Wesson including 29's, 629's, and one 329, BFR, and Colt. I don't really mess around with reduced power loads. If I want less power I'll grab a .357

The Ruger Super Blackhawk was beat on hard as it was my only handgun when I was shooting silhouettes back in the late 70's. 240 grain bullet with a max load of H110 or 2400 was its standard diet. It never wobbled or needed to be re timed. Never really shot any of the others "loose" as most were not shot that much

If I had to pick one to consider it the strongest and most accurate it would be the BFR.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks all

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I would pass on the new smith.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (01Foreman400, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,876
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.