-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the old 30-30 and have stretched it out a bit, on occasion.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/in-defense-of-the-30-30-winchester/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Enjoying the videos. Very well done.
F01

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
As for the 330-yard elk, one shot and down, this is a sign of a spine shot and could be done with any caliber.

My thought exactly. What if she had taken a bullet in the lungs? Or the shoulder knuckle?

Was the bullet still within the performance window (I’m guessing 1600-1800 fps) at 340 yards?

P

The age-old question, "at what point in the elk's demise did the bullet fail to perform."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not many people could do that, most shouldn’t even try.
Any gun will kill most animals. Bullet placement is the name of the game.
But most hunters don’t put in the time to be excellent shots.
Reon
When 340 yard shots are something most people can't do, then people need to train a bit harder.... 300 is a gimme shot. As long as the wind isn't howling moving your gun around and blowing the bullet around.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not many people could do that, most shouldn’t even try.
Any gun will kill most animals. Bullet placement is the name of the game.
But most hunters don’t put in the time to be excellent shots.
Reon
When 340 yard shots are something most people can't do, then people need to train a bit harder.... 300 is a gimme shot. As long as the wind isn't howling moving your gun around and blowing the bullet around.

I’ve been waiting for this.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Did anyone notice that the video about the moose hunt and the number of shots fired. Two moose were shot, both took multiple hits. You can hear the first shot, but they dubbed out the sounds of the extra shots. On the first kill you can see at least 4 addition hits with little to no reaction. Second moose took 3 hits if I count correctly. As for the 330-yard elk, one shot and down, this is a sign of a spine shot and could be done with any caliber. I was an elk guide for 9 years and have hunted them for 52 years killing 38 myself. I have seen over 100 killed. When they drop fast it is often but not always a spine hit. Have seen them killed with about any caliber. I killed one cow with a Winchester 54 in 30-30 at 200 yards and she took 2 lung shots and several moments to die. Someone mentioned that an elk can even be killed with a 22 pistol. I have done just that, twice. Both at almost muzzle distance and both with a high-power rifle backup if needed. It wasn't needed.

Not sure which moose hunt you are referring to sir. This is the one I was referring to. Same guy that shot the elk.

Ron

I was referring to the video in this thread called "Trisha's Moose". First moose take 5 hits though the sound is deleted you can see the following impacts on the moose's body as it is trying to escape. The second moose is hit 3 times. In both instances either moose only appears to be less than 50 yards away but can't tell for sure.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
As for the 330-yard elk, one shot and down, this is a sign of a spine shot and could be done with any caliber.

My thought exactly. What if she had taken a bullet in the lungs? Or the shoulder knuckle?

Was the bullet still within the performance window (I’m guessing 1600-1800 fps) at 340 yards?

P

The age-old question, "at what point in the elk's demise did the bullet fail to perform."

You’re missing the point.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah....well OK! When I was 15 years old l killed my first whitetail running across a field with a friggin M1 Carbine shooting a military issue cartridge my Dad had drilled a hole into the nose making a hollow point which he stuffed with beeswax. The distance was a measured 342 yards. I couldn't have done it again if I'd had a boxcar full of ammo available!! 100% accident it was!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Heck I shot one at 600 with my Wyoming Arms 94 in .30-30
Cranked the CDS and he was a goner wink

Last edited by hookeye; 01/31/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Did anyone notice that the video about the moose hunt and the number of shots fired. Two moose were shot, both took multiple hits. You can hear the first shot, but they dubbed out the sounds of the extra shots. On the first kill you can see at least 4 addition hits with little to no reaction. Second moose took 3 hits if I count correctly. As for the 330-yard elk, one shot and down, this is a sign of a spine shot and could be done with any caliber. I was an elk guide for 9 years and have hunted them for 52 years killing 38 myself. I have seen over 100 killed. When they drop fast it is often but not always a spine hit. Have seen them killed with about any caliber. I killed one cow with a Winchester 54 in 30-30 at 200 yards and she took 2 lung shots and several moments to die. Someone mentioned that an elk can even be killed with a 22 pistol. I have done just that, twice. Both at almost muzzle distance and both with a high-power rifle backup if needed. It wasn't needed.

Not sure which moose hunt you are referring to sir. This is the one I was referring to. Same guy that shot the elk.

Ron

I was referring to the video in this thread called "Trisha's Moose". First moose take 5 hits though the sound is deleted you can see the following impacts on the moose's body as it is trying to escape. The second moose is hit 3 times. In both instances either moose only appears to be less than 50 yards away but can't tell for sure.

In the "Trisha's Hunt" video the first moose is only shot once. That's steam coming out of the bullet holes in his lungs on his final breaths, not bullet impacts

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Dude270

Ron

In the "Trisha's Hunt" video the first moose is only shot once. That's steam coming out of the bullet holes in his lungs on his final breaths, not bullet impacts

Wondered when someone was going to pick that up.....

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
G
G
I appreciated the info on the prevalence of CWD in the various animals. I was surprised at how low it was in elk. I wonder if that is the case everywhere, or just in Alberta? Those Hornady Interlocks are real elk killers. I load my own 30-06 ammo with them because they are the most accurate bullets I've tried. I've shot 5 elk with them they did the job just fine. None took more than one shot. The only thing I didn't like about the man's rifle in the video was all the extra ammo attached to the side of it. I would rather have my extra ammo in my pack or pocket. I sure don't like extra stuff hanging on my rifle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

P

You’re missing the point.

P

No, I understood the point perfectly. You're guessing on the performance window for the Hornady FTX, which is only a manufacturer's recommendation anyway. Go on the Lapua website and check out their recommendations for hunting bullets. Lapua calls the Scenar a target bullet and recommends other bullets for hunting.

But I've killed a number of animals with Scenars, on the recommendation of some very good hunters. The only way you'll know how a bullet performs on game is to shoot big game with it.

So as long as we're just guessing, I'd guess the FTX expands well at low velocities because it was designed specifically for tubular magazines and lever action rifles.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Point being, you don't gotta have a .900 Nitro Mag "T-Rex" to kill game.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When they were checking drops from a dead rest off the pickup, the three hundred yard group looks to be around 9 inches for 3 shots, if I'm guesstimating it right with the tape on the left of the picture. So then, shooting the elk, no rest offhand he fires one damned great shot, nicks the spine and her rear legs fold instantly. I'm going to say plain old luck played a huge part in his success. If that spine hadn't been hit...he would have had a running adrenalized elk at 340, probably a rump target, from a bullet doing 1500 fps and 800 ft lbs impact, that would have had a shameful outcome if the animal would have even been found. I'm glad it turned out well, but I think there was more luck at play than expertise there. I think anybody who has experience hunting elk would agree that not everything goes that well.
As a footnote, maybe one of the reasons he carries so much ammo, is that not everything goes that well. For the price of a go-pro video camera for youtube vids, you could probably buy a decent .270 or '06. Just one man's opinion.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is no doubt a shot where the elk got to run off t would be hard to find after dark.

But they had snow, fairly flat land, and hopefully friendly neighbors.

But leaving an elk overnight would perhaps challenge the pallet.

But they dumped her! So it’s really not anything but something to consider in future hunts.

Perhaps hunting in the morning? So you would have all day to find her.

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/31/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Ron

I thought that might be a possibility, but they look like hits to me. Especially the final shot as it was quartering away. After I posted my reply, I watched the video closely and am still not sure. For me anyway it is 50/50. Let me be the first to not criticize. Keep shooting till they go down. Lost more than one elk to a client that refused to shoot a second shot.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What I should have said is it 'Appears" to be shot morethan once.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Ron

I thought that might be a possibility, but they look like hits to me. Especially the final shot as it was quartering away. After I posted my reply, I watched the video closely and am still not sure. For me anyway it is 50/50. Let me be the first to not criticize. Keep shooting till they go down. Lost more than one elk to a client that refused to shoot a second shot.
I think I saw a flash from the grassy knoll.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Angus1895
There is no doubt a shot where the elk got to run off t would be hard to find after dark.

But they had snow, fairly flat land, and hopefully friendly neighbors.

But leaving an elk overnight would perhaps challenge the pallet.

But they dumped her! So it’s really not anything but something to consider in future hunts.

Perhaps hunting in the morning? So you would have all day to find her.
Dang near every animal we shoot runs off. ITs not a big deal. Go trail it. If the hit is bad wait. Regardless of caliber.

The only issue here is not enough energy to break a major bone. A good shot will avoid those with smaller rounds.

I would have shot that elk all day long with a 223. You should be able to hit a clay pigeon every shot at that distance if all is good. You can avoid the bones awful easy. The major bones are not large targets.

Have found countless animals after dark with lights.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.