Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I like a Boston pork butt recipe that I believe comes from Paula Dean. It's pretty salty with salt and season salt, black pepper Gran garlic, liquid smoke, sliced onion and a few Bay leaved. Cook it in a crock pot until it about falls apart. I like to add some BBQ sauce on top as it's served.

Bb
It may surprise some, but pork butt is excellent just salted with some liquid smoke and cooked in a crock pot. The meat alone is that good!

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by shootem
Y’all can pull your pork and crock your butts, but it don’t compare to barbeque . And if there’s not hardwood smoke involved it ain’t barbeque. Lots of “Eastern NC” barbeque is baked pork with very few working pits and chimneys.

Lancaster’s?
This is true go to the lighthouse in ayden nc and you will see plies of wood and a guy chopping whole hog everything but the squeal as they say they been cooking there for about 50 years and some days there is a line out the door ,barbeque, slaw and cornbread that's the menu.

Bum's there in Ayden used to cook on wood. I haven't been there in years but I thought it was better than Skylight back then and they had a full menu if someone didn't want pork.
Yea skylight I was not paying attention to my fingers or my mind, Bum's is still there and cooking good que also ,Parker's in Greenville and Wilson are still good but chop a little fine for my taste but the sauce is good . Sam Jones, the guy who inherited the skylight has his own restaurant in Winterville and cooks the same as the ayden restaurant but with a larger menu and better hours it's simply named Sam Jones Barbeque

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Parkers is a bit dry for me. Sam Jones, Bum's, Skylight are all good. A couple of others that I'm not sure have been mentioned are Moore's and McCall's. Pretty good, but a notch down from the Ayden guys. Bill Ellis BBQ in Wilson was buffet-style and was very good as well. Unfortunately, it is no longer in business.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
I looked up red slaw. One recipe had ketchup in it.

Is that right?

It's an abomination, and one thing that eastern NC got wrong about BBQ.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most people over load the sauce,and you loose the flavor of the pig ,if it's cooked right you don't need gallons of it sloshed all over everything, the taste of the wood smoke should come through and the sauce just needs to enhance and not overpower the meat . As long as it's pig and cooked properly it's barbecue if it's beef,chicken, bear,or anything else it's grilled or smoked meat but not barbecue

All very true. The BBQ should have a little vinegar based sauce here and there, while it's cooking if it's whole hog style, but the sauce belongs on the table.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's the more popular vinegar sauce, Massengill or Summer's Eve?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I like a Boston pork butt recipe that I believe comes from Paula Dean. It's pretty salty with salt and season salt, black pepper Gran garlic, liquid smoke, sliced onion and a few Bay leaved. Cook it in a crock pot until it about falls apart. I like to add some BBQ sauce on top as it's served.

Bb
It may surprise some, but pork butt is excellent just salted with some liquid smoke and cooked in a crock pot. The meat alone is that good!
Liquid smoke? Hard pass.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Maurice Bessinger’s mustard based bbq in Columbia was excellent. It’s long gone now.

The original Bridges in Shelby, NC was excellent too, but I haven’t been there in years.

Those two stood out as worth a trip for me all these years.

+1 on both. I have to hear that Maurice’s is no longer in operation.

The last time I went by there, which was probably August or September, it looked like they were operational. Is this recent? I go byBessingers in Charleston at least weekly but have never stopped. Have to swing in some time.

Well dang it is still open, run by his sons and daughter. That’s great news. I’m wrong and glad of it…

I sure heard they were closing it up after Maurice died in 2014.

By the way the Thomas Bessinger sauce I bought was not like Maurice’s, it’s very thin and much sweeter. Not terrible but not quite there.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I really really want to bbq a whole lamb this year in kind of the Kentucky style.

Not a hell of a lot of info on it out there.

Want to learn whole hog too.
I've been to several Basque ropings, gathers etc where they cooked a 7 piece lamb (the head is piece #7) above ground and they didn't make a federal case out of it (the cook was operating off a tailgate mostly). He built his fire on the ground about a foot and a half wide and 3 1/2 feet long and drove his T posts or uprights parallel to the fire (it's a fire, not just coals), but not over it, then the crossbar from which the big crusher screen rack is suspended by adjustable chain. The lamb sections are spiced and lubricated by beer or wine, usual lamb spices, and any oil that will facilitate browning, applied as needed with a paintbrush. The sections are placed with thicker pieces like the hams are at the hottest area, but arranged so melting fat does not drip into the fire. People come and go at different times and the thin pieces are eaten first of course. A cutting board and a cleaver are on the tailgate for cutting bones and the brisket. The hams never get completely done at one time, and slices are cut off to suit the eater, re basted and browned again. When available they like to use mountain mahogany, I've had willow (good), and once broken fence posts...can't see much difference. If you were hosting a sitdown dinner it would take some skill to do the hams...or butterfly them. It's probably a big gourmet chef deal in Kentucky but not so much in the Great Basin.

That's the problem. It ain't rocket science.

As in no one ever experiments.

It's either salt rosemary and garlic or sometimes it's garlic rosemary and salt.

Maybe lamb/hogget is too expensive or hard to find for people to do much experimenting.

I have a suspicion that lamb/hogget would go very very well with a certain line of wild game cookbooks available now.

I am MAGA.
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Bb
Liquid smoke? Hard pass.

No liquid smoke for our crockpot recipe, but we do put either Coca Cola or Dr. pepper in.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Is that right?

They don’t have red slaw down East. At least I’ve never seen any down East. Piedmont (Lexington) style BBQ houses make gallons of it every day. Folks from out of town tend to love it. My coworkers from Indiana get containers of it to take home every time they come this way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y’all can pull your pork and crock your butts, but it don’t compare to barbeque . And if there’s not hardwood smoke involved it ain’t barbeque. Lots of “Eastern NC” barbeque is baked pork with very few working pits and chimneys.

Lancaster’s?
This is true go to the lighthouse in ayden nc and you will see plies of wood and a guy chopping whole hog everything but the squeal as they say they been cooking there for about 50 years and some days there is a line out the door ,barbeque, slaw and cornbread that's the menu.

Bum's there in Ayden used to cook on wood. I haven't been there in years but I thought it was better than Skylight back then and they had a full menu if someone didn't want pork.
Yea skylight I was not paying attention to my fingers or my mind, Bum's is still there and cooking good que also ,Parker's in Greenville and Wilson are still good but chop a little fine for my taste but the sauce is good . Sam Jones, the guy who inherited the skylight has his own restaurant in Winterville and cooks the same as the ayden restaurant but with a larger menu and better hours it's simply named Sam Jones Barbeque

Morris bbq near hookerton was a favorite of mine. They only open on Saturdays, it's another old store...kinda looks like several old chit houses pulled together. Haven't been there in at least 3 years but it was great last time. Sorta like the Skylight Inn.

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Is that right?

They don’t have red slaw down East. At least I’ve never seen any down East. Piedmont (Lexington) style BBQ houses make gallons of it every day. Folks from out of town tend to love it. My coworkers from Indiana get containers of it to take home every time they come this way.

Lexington is the only place I can remember getting it.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Is that right?

We make onion slaw every so often, just add fine chopped onion to regular slaw to taste. I like it but some don't. We don't use near as much sugar as some folks either. Sometimes if I'm in the mood I use Ken's Vidalia onion salad dressing with a spoonful of Miracle whip.
Yep, I said Miracle Whip..... grin

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Never had any bad NC BBQ. Some better than others, but none bad. Other than Wilburs in Kinston NC. Ironically one of the holy grail BBQ places in NC. Tried it three times. Bad everytime.
Wilbur's closed during covid because the irs wanted to be paid, it reopened a couple of years ago under new management and the food is not the same. Real shame to cause I could eat there 3 times a week when it was in it's prime ,oh, Wilbur's is in Goldsboro and Kings is in Kinston they are still on hiway 70 on your out of town headed east.
[quote=1beaver_shooter][quote=Featherweight6555]Never had any bad NC BBQ. Some better than others, but none bad. Other than Wilburs in Kinston NC. Ironically one of the holy grail BBQ places in NC. Tried it three times. Bad everytime.

1beaver shooter you are correct. I don’t know why I put Kinston. Maybe the Tramadol I’m taking for my jaw after toof surgery Monday. That’s what I’m blaming it on anyway:D
I use the by-pass around Goldsboro since it opened.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Lancaster’s?

I’ve been iirc 3 times there. 1st to try it and the last two for school athletics. It’s mundane at best. Matter of fact the whole place is forgettable in my opinion. Some folks like it though it’s still in business, I guess. There’s one spot we drop by when down their way, City Barbecue in Huntersville. No fresh smoke but it’s still a good feed.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Raeford

Bb
Liquid smoke? Hard pass.
No liquid smoke for our crockpot recipe, but we do put either Coca Cola or Dr. pepper in.
10-4 bud.

I don’t have an egg, so I’ll brown the shoulder on my grill with cans of chips smoking.
Maillard plus smoke, then crackpot.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Never had any bad NC BBQ. Some better than others, but none bad. Other than Wilburs in Kinston NC. Ironically one of the holy grail BBQ places in NC. Tried it three times. Bad everytime.
Wilbur's is in Goldsboro - Kings is in Kinston. Which one was it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wilbur's has never been very good since the owner, Mr. Wilbur Shirley, died and his daughter took over. As mentioned above, it's under new ownership now, which I believe was one of the former employees.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 01/31/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Lancaster’s?

Morris bbq near hookerton was a favorite of mine. They only open on Saturdays, it's another old store...kinda looks like several old chit houses pulled together. Haven't been there in at least 3 years but it was great last time. Sorta like the Skylight Inn.
Check out Marty's in Wilson next time you're here - they are about as good as it gets in today's world.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 25 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.