Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
After buying my Japanese 52 sporter, I have been looking at prices on the original 52 sporting rifles. Damn they are expensive!!!! Wondering if anyone here has found any below $3,000.00? It would be nice to add an original to my collection at some point. What say you guys? Post some pics, if you got them too. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very difficult to find a deal on these
In 2018 I gave less than 2k for this one it is probably worth 3 times that someday I will sell it

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13215729/1

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Very few and far between at that price point
Good Luck in your search

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ctw
Very difficult to find a deal on these
In 2018 I gave less than 2k for this one it is probably worth 3 times that someday I will sell it

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13215729/1

You did very well on that one. Thanks for sharing.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve seen several high condition B sporters that have been professionally D&T’d sell for $1750-$2250 over the past couple years. Occasionally a clean and un-drilled sporter can be found in the bracket you’re hoping for, but it’s not common. Most seem to be overpriced and don’t sell. And the “C” sporters are untouchable if original and clean.

I prefer an A or B stock over a C, but the “scope-ability” of a C sure seems appealing!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]online photo hosting

Last edited by jsgwoodsman; 02/01/24.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
I’ve seen several high condition B sporters that have been professionally D&T’d sell for $1750-$2250 over the past couple years. Occasionally a clean and un-drilled sporter can be found in the bracket you’re hoping for, but it’s not common. Most seem to be overpriced and don’t sell. And the “C” sporters are untouchable if original and clean.

I prefer an A or B stock over a C, but the “scope-ability” of a C sure seems appealing!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]online photo hosting

That's a beauty!!

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A year or so ago I did stumble into a very clean original C for under the price point bsa mentioned. When I, learned of the rifle I had no expectations of being able to afford it, however, the owner wanted grandpas rifle to go to a good home and luckily for me, he thought I was it. He indicated he did not know if grandad had even shot it, but I suspect he had as it did come with a 6x Redfield aboard. I have not been able to bring myself to shoot it, lol. I always expected id have a miroku remake for a shooter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
A year or so ago I did stumble into a very clean original C for under the price point bsa mentioned. When I, learned of the rifle I had no expectations of being able to afford it, however, the owner wanted grandpas rifle to go to a good home and luckily for me, he thought I was it. He indicated he did not know if grandad had even shot it, but I suspect he had as it did come with a 6x Redfield aboard. I have not been able to bring myself to shoot it, lol. I always expected id have a miroku remake for a shooter.

Oh man, you should shoot it. What year was your rifle made? A model C would be a prize for sure. When I recently bought my 52, at a distance, it looked like an original, because it has the front sight and rear aperture. Then I saw the price tag, and knew it was a Japanese reproduction. I still feel very lucky to have found this rifle, even though it is not an original. It will likely stay in my collection, but I will shoot it. It shoots great, and the trigger is excellent. However, the action does not feel as smooth as my 1949 52B. Maybe with years of use, it will?:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I haven't shot the old 52B in a couple years, but it still shoots pretty good:
That was with unproven ammo, but what I had on hand. I only shot those 2 groups with that rifle that day, because the sun was in my eyes. It seems to like Norma match ammo better, but with Irons at 50 yards, that old rifle does pretty well with just about any ammo I've fed it. These rifles are a pure joy to shoot.

I don't think you are going to hurt it if you shoot it and clean it. Good score on yours PSH. Thanks for sharing.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
1956 is what I come up with. 90000 range. I have absolutely nothing against my miroku guns, and if I found a deal like you did bsa, id own a browning or winny copy in a minute. If you want your money back, send it my way, ill pay shipping, lol. I don't need one, but I like the win marked guns, I really don't think it will do any more than my Clackamas kimber, but, there is always commitment, lol.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
1956 is what I come up with. 90000 range. I have absolutely nothing against my miroku guns, and if I found a deal like you did bsa, id own a browning or winny copy in a minute. If you want your money back, send it my way, ill pay shipping, lol. I don't need one, but I like the win marked guns, I really don't think it will do any more than my Clackamas kimber, but, there is always commitment, lol.

That's a great year buddy. I think I'll hang onto this one, even though it's a repro. I can't find anything wrong with it. Fit and finish is great, as is the bluing and the stock is very nice IMHO. I also like the fact that it has the irons, like the originals did. I'll tell you, if I ran across an original in really good condition for a deal, I'll be snagging it!!!! I'll be keeping my eyes out for one. There's just something about these rifles that scream quality. They have a pretty big cool factor going for them. Kind of like the Sako 243 I bought today. Wood and nice bluing, with classic styling gets my blood pumping!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If anyone is in the market for a Japanese 52 Sporter, there is one in the LaVista, NE, Cabela's Gun Library for $1,300.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If anyone is in the market for a Japanese 52 Sporter, there is one in the LaVista, NE, Cabela's Gun Library for $1,300.

There was….

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

There was….

It was there yesterday.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by PSH

That's a great year buddy. I think I'll hang onto this one, even though it's a repro. I can't find anything wrong with it. Fit and finish is great, as is the bluing and the stock is very nice IMHO. I also like the fact that it has the irons, like the originals did. I'll tell you, if I ran across an original in really good condition for a deal, I'll be snagging it!!!! I'll be keeping my eyes out for one. There's just something about these rifles that scream quality. They have a pretty big cool factor going for them. Kind of like the Sako 243 I bought today. Wood and nice bluing, with classic styling gets my blood pumping!!!

Lol, I sure don't blame ya bsa, I would hang onto it too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

There was….

Dang...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At a gunshow yesterday there was a orginal 52 sporter. $4000
It had been drilled and tapped and had weaver bases.
I will stick with my Rem 513 sporter for now. We’ll probably until I find a Win 75 sporter.
A guy did have a Kimber that I will look over better today.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I got to thinking about the DOM of 1956 on mine and realized, most of the ones I have seen for sale, or that have sold have fallen on 1956 DOM. I know that there was 1314 of the Cs made, and they were manufactured from 54 to 60, is there any info as to about how many were manufactured each year? Just found it a bit odd.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
I got to thinking about the DOM of 1956 on mine and realized, most of the ones I have seen for sale, or that have sold have fallen on 1956 DOM. I know that there was 1314 of the Cs made, and they were manufactured from 54 to 60, is there any info as to about how many were manufactured each year? Just found it a bit odd.

That is very interesting. Great year too! As both of my parents were born that year. One reason I have a '56 30-06 fwt and '56 fwt 270 in my collection. When I find a pre 64 made in that year, I tend to keep them. They will be the last to go..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
At a gunshow yesterday there was a orginal 52 sporter. $4000
It had been drilled and tapped and had weaver bases.
I will stick with my Rem 513 sporter for now. We’ll probably until I find a Win 75 sporter.
A guy did have a Kimber that I will look over better today.

Boise, or Lewiston? Those 513 sporters are a treasure too buddy. The last 75 sporter I saw at a collectors gunshow in Portland was $500.00!!!!!! I ended up buying a 1937 model 71 with factory bolt peep for $900 instead. Looking back on it, I should have found a way to buy the 75 as well..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nampa
Im send you a pm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.