Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Maybe interesting side note and off topic but;

Kamakasi pilots and officers (including NCOs) were given the swords as a symbol to set them apart. I wonder who was doing this first, the Knights of the Round Table? or did they get it from the Japanese?

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
It is worth more if the owner used it to commit seppuku.

If it was used on Americans then I am not sure who would want to own it.

Longer swords weren't used for Hari-Kari (the actual cut) Seppuku is the ceremony and ceremony followed by the Samuri

I see someone us paying attention.

A long sword would only be used by a second to take off the head.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Maybe interesting side note and off topic but;

Kamakasi pilots and officers (including NCOs) were given the swords as a symbol to set them apart. I wonder who was doing this first, the Knights of the Round Table? or did they get it from the Japanese?

For a good part of European history Crucifix swords, double edged swords with a large cross guard that formed the shape of The Cross, were reserved for Knights and Nobles. Single edge blades such as the falchion were the blades of the merchant and peasant classes.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/31/24.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
It is worth more if the owner used it to commit seppuku.

If it was used on Americans then I am not sure who would want to own it.

Longer swords weren't used for Hari-Kari (the actual cut) Seppuku is the ceremony and ceremony followed by the Samuri

I see someone us paying attention.

A long sword would only be used by a second to take off the head.

It was very honorable for a Samurai to commit seppuku.
His second had to sever the head with one stroke, or the second was disgraced.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by acooper1983
ive got one my grandpa took off a jap officer on the canal. grandpa carried the scar it gave him on his arm his whole life. I dont care what its worth,but knowing what he went through on the islands he was on, makes the sentimental value, priceless

Not to butt in on this thread, but if you wouldn’t mind starting another one, I think we’d all like to hear your grandfather’s story. As we lose the greatest generation, their stories die with them and that is the real loss. People die every day but the stories about their lives and deeds should carry on.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Not a new thread but:
if your interested

My wife's uncle:

Didn't talk about it much, just a few incidents, cutting Japanese in half with a 50 cal. machine gun, stuff like that. No sword stuff.

He was the One-Man Army of Batan. Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, 3 Purple Hearts.

Wikipedia gives a better story than I can.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My dad was in the navy and served in the south pacific. He was in the battle of Leyte Gulf and several others. He survived a ship being sunk by Japanese dive bombers. He was awarded two purple hearts and some other medals. When the war was over and they were being mustered out in San Francisco, he had a captured sword and a rifle, probably an Arisaka. While standing in a long line on the gangplank, he observed officers confiscating the souvenirs of the seamen as they reached the end of the gangplank. Rather than turning his booty over to those bastards, he tossed them into San Francisco Bay. He did manage to get a Japanese flag and a bosun's whistle home though.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have one also that I would like to send pictures of the tang stampings.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,641
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.