Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In 1833, Bents Saint Vrain & Company built a trading post on the Santa Fe Trail just North of Arkansas River. It operated for 16 years and was a hub of activity, and the only "civilization" between Missouri and what was then the northern reaches of Mexico. It fell into disuse after the Mexican-American War, and the adobe buildings faded into memory. While it lasted, it was a hub of activity and the nearest thing to civilization between Missouri and New Mexico. It was an important stop for fur trappers, buffalo hunters, Indians, migrating Mormons, travelers, and the U.S. Army.

Bent's Old Fort

That memory was revived in the 1960s when it was rebuilt and designated a National Historic Monument and living history museum. They had the remnants of the original foundations, a plan of the buildings and grounds drawn by a recuperating engineer, and a sketch of the north (front) wall of the fort, to use as references. It was historically accurate in every detail that the re-builders could manage, and it was filled with genuine historical artifacts and animals such as peacocks, chickens, cattle and horses in the corrals.

It operated as a living history museum. The employees dressed in historical garb representative of the era, and they spoke of current events as if it was 1840. At one time the grandson of Kit Carson was one of the permanent employees who was a reenactor. It was a great field trip for school children and anyone interested in the history of that era.

Recently the woke leftists of the current administration have mandated that the employees stop wearing historical garb and that they stop speaking as if was 1840. They must dress in NPS uniforms and all of the animals are gone. It's now just a museum, no longer a living history museum. Many of local residents and many other residents of Colorado, who have enjoyed that piece of history are very angry about the change and see the new policy as a significant loss of our heritage.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Once again, leftards leading our Country down the road to oblivion. And the average citizen seems all too willing to blindly follow along.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All history must be erased and purged particularly if it relates to white history in any form or fashion.

We’re well down that road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did one of the staff refer to a minority in the same manner as someone would in 1840?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Marxist inspired tyrants who seem to exist just to destroy every tradition and change all events to suit their agenda, will not quit until they have destroyed our Republic.

As for the O.P's subject, I have a book, Bent's Fort, by David Lavender, Double Day & Co., New York, © 1954, that is extremely interesting, especially if one enjoys reading of the fur trappers/mountain men, and the Santa Fe Trail trading area. If you run across a copy you might pick it up. You'll enjoy reading it.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can bet the political left is going to go whole hog on anything that does not fit their interpretation of how things should be. They are a desperate crowd and only want their story told. History be damned.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If we ever lose what's been in print for years about history in book form and all we have left is what can be read online we will have lost the truth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dimtards need a serious ass kicking!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Been following this pretty close thru the reenacting community.

They have until Feb. 9th do do away with all the animals. Every chicken, peafowl, cat,horse, oxen.

No more living history events with LH volunteers. The upstairs barracks/rooms will be closed to the public.

Most of this was started last September when the rooms that had always been available to period correct volunteers was closed off.

Hours change from being open all week to a Friday, Saturday, Sunday schedule.

All living history demonstrations being replace by static museum type displays.

All I can remember for now. But all really pretty drastic. Big call in program going on (if it will do any good) to NPS in DC. As well as to Laura Boebert who says she is going to look into whats going on.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LTR
Dimtards need a serious ass kicking!

+1

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
They have until Feb. 9th do do away with all the animals. Every chicken, peafowl, cat,horse, oxen.

Does that include the hornets?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Houston_2
All history must be erased and purged particularly if it relates to white history in any form or fashion.

We’re well down that road.
Very true

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

1984 - George Orwell
https://www.abhafoundation.org/assets/books/html/1984/103.html
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/48...troyed-or-falsified-every-book-rewritten

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No more living history events with LH volunteers. The upstairs barracks/rooms will be closed to the public.

Most of this was started last September when the rooms that had always been available to period correct volunteers was closed off.

All I can remember for now. But all really pretty drastic. Big call in program going on (if it will do any good) to NPS in DC. As well as to Laura Boebert who says she is going to look into whats going on.
Bob,

is that just going on at the Fort there or across the whole NPS system?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim1611
If we ever lose what's been in print for years about history in book form and all we have left is what can be read online we will have lost the truth.

AI will take care of that all too easily. People will have no idea of what is true, partially true or false.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KC
In 1833, Bents Saint Vrain & Company built a trading post on the Santa Fe Trail just North of Arkansas River. It operated for 16 years and was a hub of activity, and the only "civilization" between Missouri and what was then the northern reaches of Mexico. It fell into disuse after the Mexican-American War, and the adobe buildings faded into memory. While it lasted, it was a hub of activity and the nearest thing to civilization between Missouri and New Mexico. It was an important stop for fur trappers, buffalo hunters, Indians, migrating Mormons, travelers, and the U.S. Army.

Bent's Old Fort

That memory was revived in the 1960s when it was rebuilt and designated a National Historic Monument and living history museum. They had the remnants of the original foundations, a plan of the buildings and grounds drawn by a recuperating engineer, and a sketch of the north (front) wall of the fort, to use as references. It was historically accurate in every detail that the re-builders could manage, and it was filled with genuine historical artifacts and animals such as peacocks, chickens, cattle and horses in the corrals.

It operated as a living history museum. The employees dressed in historical garb representative of the era, and they spoke of current events as if it was 1840. At one time the grandson of Kit Carson was one of the permanent employees who was a reenactor. It was a great field trip for school children and anyone interested in the history of that era.

Recently the woke leftists of the current administration have mandated that the employees stop wearing historical garb and that they stop speaking as if was 1840. They must dress in NPS uniforms and all of the animals are gone. It's now just a museum, no longer a living history museum. Many of local residents and many other residents of Colorado, who have enjoyed that piece of history are very angry about the change and see the new policy as a significant loss of our heritage.
Probably because all the people who spoke like that back in the day were horrible racists.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Show me one thing the Leftist asshats haven't ruined by getting involved in it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leftards destroy everything they touch.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

That all just sounds like budget cutting.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.o...e-digit-cut-national-park-service-budget

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by KC

Does that include the hornets?

And the mice

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.