Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DME Offline OP
OP Offline
D
For those who might be interested --

I just saw an ad that Northern Precision has new .228 bullets for those loading for the Savage 22 High-Power. 50 and 80 grains. Bonded and non-bonded. Not particularly cheap: $50 for 50 non-bonded; $35 for 25 bonded. The company can be reached at NPCustomBullets.com.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always thought a nice 50gr/55gr load would be good, pretty much mirror the 223.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DME
For those who might be interested --

I just saw an ad that Northern Precision has new .228 bullets for those loading for the Savage 22 High-Power. 50 and 80 grains. Bonded and non-bonded. Not particularly cheap: $50 for 50 non-bonded; $35 for 25 bonded. The company can be reached at NPCustomBullets.com.

HEY Gnoahhh what is your take on the 80 grain , To heavy 50 gr to light but faster????

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on the length of the 80 grain whether it'll stabilize in our old 1-12" twist rifle barrels. Betting it won't - just a gut feeling that they're probably catering to the .228 Ackley crowd and not minding at all the needs of antique Savage shooters. And I doubt they're blunt stubby bullet shapes to meet our length requirement of .750" max.

The 50/55 grain ones would be another matter! A nice tough bullet at the .223 speed that Rory alluded to would be a real kill-devil on deer, given that there's a helluva lot of deer are being killed around the country with .223's and 55gr. Hornadys. Just go ask Tom Brownlee (Ingwe) about that.

I've shot a bunch of old Sisk .228 55's that were wonderfully accurate. Never shot a deer with one of them though I wouldn't hesitate in the least. I think I have a box or two of them buried deep in my stash still.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someone here sold a quite a few .228 hollow point bullets in 60 and 70 grain a couple years back and I bought some. They shoot good but I have no idea who made them. I've not seen any others in my searches. Good varmint bullets is about it.

LOL
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a couple boxes of Norma 71 grain and my gun likes them. That's what I took the little 8 point in WV with. Check your state's laws. After I shot mine, a neighbor that used to hunt with a 223 said WV went to 243 or larger. Not sure, just hear say.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I have a couple boxes of Norma 71 grain and my gun likes them. That's what I took the little 8 point in WV with. Check your state's laws. After I shot mine, a neighbor that used to hunt with a 223 said WV went to 243 or larger. Not sure, just hear say.
I believe here in B.C. we are not allowed 22 for deer sized game .

I will have to check new regs and see if it has changed with 223s killing everthing in sight.
Gary what is the difference in bonded and non bonded.
Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buffalo arms has/had 45gr -70gr .228 bullets listed for years I have 400 of the 55gr for coyote hunting in my 5.6x52R/22 Sav Highpower. Very accurate in my BRNO.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm pretty sure that BA's .22HP bullets are made by Reed's. Excellent bullets but very intermittent production. I too have joyfully used their lighter bullets (60 grains), and when they're available I feel a wise man substitutes them over the 70's for deer hunting at typical wood's distances. Better accuracy in our slow twist rifles, and the higher velocity doesn't hurt also.

Norm, a bonded bullet's lead core is fused to the jacket. Several ways but all are one form or another of soldering, to put it simply. The idea is to enable the bullet to expand in a predictable and controlled manner without fragmenting, a desirable trait when deep penetration is the goal like when shooting a big bear, moose, elk, tiger, hippopotamus, etc. Personally for your average 100 pound whitetail I like a bullet that breaks into pieces and lacerates as many arteries and nerves as possible to initiate a quick kill, meat loss be damned. (Of course one needs to consider a bullet's performance during a raking shot that needs to traverse the length of the body, so there's a job for a bonded bullet. So if one insists on shooting little old deer in the ass one really oughta employ a premium bullet!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm pretty sure that BA's .22HP bullets are made by Reed's. Excellent bullets but very intermittent production. I too have joyfully used their lighter bullets (60 grains), and when they're available I feel a wise man substitutes them over the 70's for deer hunting at typical wood's distances. Better accuracy in our slow twist rifles, and the higher velocity doesn't hurt also.

Norm, a bonded bullet's lead core is fused to the jacket. Several ways but all are one form or another of soldering, to put it simply. The idea is to enable the bullet to expand in a predictable and controlled manner without fragmenting, a desirable trait when deep penetration is the goal like when shooting a big bear, moose, elk, tiger, hippopotamus, etc. Personally for your average 100 pound whitetail I like a bullet that breaks into pieces and lacerates as many arteries and nerves as possible to initiate a quick kill, meat loss be damned. (Of course one needs to consider a bullet's performance during a raking shot that needs to traverse the length of the body, so there's a job for a bonded bullet. So if one insists on shooting little old deer in the ass one really oughta employ a premium bullet!)

Nothing tastes better than an ass shot deer that you chase all over the mountain trying to finish off.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

[[

[[[[Nothing tastes better than an ass shot deer that you chase all over the mountain trying to finish off.
]]]

thats why i never take that shot..

Thanks Gary G

Norm

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,612
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.