-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Steve; You are correct.... Sometimes you just have to buy a rifle "because". Got mine because I've been liking single shots more than ever the last 5 or 6 years, and because I like my CVA Accura 50 cal. inline muzzle loader. Picked up a CVA Scout V2 takedown last Feb. in 444 Marlin because I wanted a single shot woodland whitetail thumper using a big straight wall cartridge, even though I can and do use regular bottleneck rifle cartridges. I've always been impressed by the 444 in the woods and have no plans to hunt buffalo so I wrote the .45-70 off as "overkill". Even though the .45-70 can be loaded down, the 444 Marlin fits right in with my ballistic needs & wants. The Scout has proven to be a great shooter, and I guess that muzzle brake works, as the recoil is less than I expected, and no problem at all. Trigger on mine breaks clean and averaged 3 lbs. 5 oz. on a Lyman digital gauge when new and was at an average 3 lbs. 2 oz. 108 rounds later. That was a good suggestion about that scope rail and it's too bad I didn't know that last summer. Didn't check it when new and it loosened up after the first 125 rounds but all is well now. I'm really liking it and I'm glad I got it almost a year ago, as demand will probably drive the price up and they seem to be gaining in popularity, besides the damn inflation factor. All in all, I'm with you as a fan of the CVA single shots.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I know what you mean about the Henrys. I had two issues. First was scope mounting. I got the impression they would take some work to be used with a scope. The other was the trigger. It isn't very good.

I have a Beartooth slip-on riser pad on my .357 and it puts me right behind a low-mounted Romeo 5. It accepts pads of various thicknesses, and stays put, not always the case with other types. That one is a recent manufacture and has the improved trigger, which is perfectly adequate for such a piece. My .410 is an early one, and went through the recall, and it’s very good; even my gunsmith remarked on how good it was. That little cannon is a very handy and enjoyable piece, BTW. Currently, regular shot loads are spendy and hard to find, but I have quite a lot from before the crunch. Brennekes, 000 buckshot, and turkey loads all perform very well. With a good sight, I have no doubts I could take deer handily within 50 yards, turkeys inside 40, and small game with shot at 30-35.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Hi Steve; You are correct.... Sometimes you just have to buy a rifle "because". Got mine because I've been liking single shots more than ever the last 5 or 6 years, and because I like my CVA Accura 50 cal. inline muzzle loader. Picked up a CVA Scout V2 takedown last Feb. in 444 Marlin because I wanted a single shot woodland whitetail thumper using a big straight wall cartridge, even though I can and do use regular bottleneck rifle cartridges. I've always been impressed by the 444 in the woods and have no plans to hunt buffalo so I wrote the .45-70 off as "overkill". Even though the .45-70 can be loaded down, the 444 Marlin fits right in with my ballistic needs & wants.

The Scout has proven to be a great shooter, and I guess that muzzle brake works, as the recoil is less than I expected, and no problem at all. Trigger on mine breaks clean and averaged 3 lbs. 5 oz. on a Lyman digital gauge when new and was at an average 3 lbs. 2 oz. 108 rounds later. That was a good suggestion about that scope rail and it's too bad I didn't know that last summer. Didn't check it when new and it loosened up after the first 125 rounds but all is well now. I'm really liking it and I'm glad I got it almost a year ago, as demand will probably drive the price up and they seem to be gaining in popularity, besides the damn inflation factor. All in all, I'm with you as a fan of the CVA single shots.

I'm glad it's working for you. smile Scope rails or rifles that come with a scope and rings already mounted are just screwed on but not torqued or loctited. I think it would be better if the companies just shipped the scope not attached. Same with the rails. When I cleaned up the rail, screws and threads, there was preservative on them so they would have shook loose quickly.

I hope they expand their chamberings. smile

Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have a Beartooth slip-on riser pad on my .357 and it puts me right behind a low-mounted Romeo 5. It accepts pads of various thicknesses, and stays put, not always the case with other types. That one is a recent manufacture and has the improved trigger, which is perfectly adequate for such a piece. My .410 is an early one, and went through the recall, and it’s very good; even my gunsmith remarked on how good it was. That little cannon is a very handy and enjoyable piece, BTW. Currently, regular shot loads are spendy and hard to find, but I have quite a lot from before the crunch. Brennekes, 000 buckshot, and turkey loads all perform very well. With a good sight, I have no doubts I could take deer handily within 50 yards, turkeys inside 40, and small game with shot at 30-35.

I was glad to hear that Henry made some improvements from the first production run. The first trigger iteration wasn't very good. Given the choice between the Scout or the Henry, I would probably take the Scout.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Made it out today with some reloads shooting 405 gr cast bullets. Unfortunately had the one and only misfire today and it appears to have happen with the best group so two out of three shots.
Will be back with more reloads to confirm but looks promising. Shot at 100yds. was shooting 325 gr barne bullets before these which shot roughly 2 inches above bullseye, quite the drop.
I had also taken the brake off as was at the range, didn't want to have angry people at me. Will be interesting to see if POI will be the same with it on after my final sight in.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Target by Mario Comtois, on [bleep]

Last edited by marzoom; 01/29/24.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Please post your results with the next batch of reloads.

Where are you on the Island! I used to be stationed in Comox.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm in Victoria.Just finish prepping cases for next reloads.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by marzoom
I'm in Victoria.Just finish prepping cases for next reloads.

I just ordered some powder coated cast bullets to try. I have never used them before. This will be an adventure.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Where are you getting your cast bullets from? How many grains?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where are you getting your cast bullets from? How many grains?

I pour some of my own, but I have bought from Rustywood Trading, the Bullet Barn and Prairie Projectiles.

For the 45-70, I have got 350 and 400 gr. I believe Prairie Projectiles also has a 300 gr. bullet too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The ones I have are Missouri bullets from Budget shooters supply which I need to reorder some more.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well I can now confirm I just need to fine tune my load of 35.5 grains with the 405 gr bullet.
Thinking of trying 300+ gr cast next. Not counting the pull shot and at 5/8" group at 100 yds, I am pretty happy with that.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_0700 by [url=https://www.[bleep].com/photos/154466150N05/][/url]

Last edited by marzoom; 02/01/24.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Steve,

I wanted a Scout in 360 Buckhammer because I wanted a rimmed .358 caliber SS rifle. When I contacted CVA last spring, I was told there wasn't any plan to chamber the 360 at that time.

I bought a blued 20 in. 350 Legend and sent it to Mike Bellm. He re-cut the chamber for 360BH. Extremely happy with the results. So far, I've only shot factory Remington 180/200gr. ammo. I've put a couple of boxes through it to this point. I was able to hunt with it a couple of times, but no luck.

A 4x Nikon Monarch was mounted on it on it. I may change it later, but it's a bright and rugged scope that matches up well with the rifle. It's sighted in right now for the 200gr. load. Pictures of a group with both weights posted below.

.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Awesome idea aboltfan! What did Mike charge to re-cut the chamber?

Last edited by Motown; 02/01/24.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm going to use a different powder as I believe 3198 is the cause of the misfires, too much space in the cartridge and it is not igniting. I use the same primers for my 308 and have not had one misfire.
More I read about that powder the more I don't want it for the 45/70. Maybe I try magnum primers to get better ignition.
Note: Powder is actually IMR4198 not what is written on the target.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Motown
Awesome idea aboltfan! What did Mike charge to re-cut the chamber?

Yes. What are they charging these days?

I'm going to use a different powder as I believe 3198 is the cause of the misfires, too much space in the cartridge and it is not igniting. I use the same primers for my 308 and have not had one misfire.
More I read about that powder the more I don't want it for the 45/70. Maybe I try magnum primers to get better ignition.
Note: Powder is actually IMR4198 not what is written on the target.

I don’t know what you have for powder, but Re 7, 3031 and 4895 are all good choices.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Got some 4064 and Varget. Think I'll stick too Varget as can use it for my 308 also, like that powder.
Back to the reloading bench I go.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Gentlemen,

Mike charged $125.00 + shipping to re-cut the chamber and extractor.

marzoom,

Varget worked very well for me with 405gr. Rem. SP out of a Handi and Marlin 45-70. A2015 and H335 did as well. RL7 worked better for me with 300gr. bullets.

I ended up going with A2015 to load five hundred rounds of the 405gr. bullets, because it was as accurate as Varget and I had eight pounds of it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gentlemen,

marzoom,

Varget worked very well for me with 405gr. Rem. SP out of a Handi and Marlin 45-70. A2015 and H335 did as well. RL7 worked better for me with 300gr. bullets.

I ended up going with A2015 to load five hundred rounds of the 405gr. bullets, because it was as accurate as Varget and I had eight pounds of it.

Thanks and that price isn’t bad at all! I already have a Scout in 450BM but that 360BH is really intriguing.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Gentlemen,

marzoom,

Thanks and good to know. Unfortunately Have not seen any of that powder you mention in stock around my area. I shooting cast bullets right now, just ordered 300 and 405gr.

Now I need to figure out a way to pull bullets out of three rounds without any damage, don't have anything that big yet to do the job but will try to find a collet for my puller.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
marzoom, you can get these bullet pullers.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

1) Include 3 different Collects,3 O-Rings and Instructions For Use.
2) Works with almost every Caliber from 22 Hornet to 45-70.
3) Material: Polycarbonate Impact Style Body with a Solid Metal Shaft.

https://www.amazon.ca/Impact-Bullet-Different-Expandable-Collets/dp/B07WDNH81Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
marzoom, you can get these bullet pullers.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

1) Include 3 different Collects,3 O-Rings and Instructions For Use.
2) Works with almost every Caliber from 22 Hornet to 45-70.
3) Material: Polycarbonate Impact Style Body with a Solid Metal Shaft.

https://www.amazon.ca/Impact-Bullet-Different-Expandable-Collets/dp/B07WDNH81Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I have one but lost some collets for it. I really never was a fan of whacking the friggin thing with live ammo.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,514
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.