Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KenMi
Seems like many models of 350s have brakes or threads, but most 400s don't. Strange.

I haven't seen a 350 with a brake, threaded sure. I haven't seen many 400's yet.

HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have been using the .350L for the last couple of years for deer hunting in Iowa. Has been very effective and a fairly easy rifle to shoot out to 200 yards. Minimal recoil and surprisingly accurate. Not sure I really see he point of the .400L

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 405wcf
AAAARRRRgghhh, the BS around this is killing me!!! I just watched Mellissa Bachman hunting in Alberta with the 400 Legend and touting what a fabulous cartridge this is.

200 grain bullet with a BC around .2 at 2250 fps. A quick ballistics calculation shows 12" of wind drift at 300 yards from a 5 mph cross wind!!! There is a reason the 401 died.

For those of us who MUST use these cartridges, they have been a Godsend vs a 12ga slug. I guess if Winchester was paying for my Alberta mule deer hunt I would use the 350, 400, or 401 for that matter. However, when you see me paying for my traveling hunts, you can almost always be sure I'm carrying a modern bottleneck design firing a bullet with a decent BC and good sectional density.

Just curious... is the BC any better for 405WCF bullets?

It's obviously not a round for the open prairies, so a high BC bullet should be your last concern.

My in-laws in the Midwest haven't shot a deer past about 80 yards in probably over a hundred years, but they're buying 30-06, 270 Win., etc. ammo with the new high BC bullets due to the obvious advantages of less drop and wind drift.

So did anyone expect a cartridge named "Legend", not to be full of hype? Every time I saw one of Winchester's ads for the 350 Legend it was all I could do to keep from retching.

If I were limited to straight wall cases I would also be beyond ecstatic over any new cartridges that would qualify... not a shotgun fan.

Used to be a big fan of the 45-70, if this had come out 30 years ago I'd of snapped one up and played with it for a few years.

Appears to headspace off of the front of the case, which makes me wonder if cast bullets would really work (chamber).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by duckster
We have been using the .350L for the last couple of years for deer hunting in Iowa. Has been very effective and a fairly easy rifle to shoot out to 200 yards. Minimal recoil and surprisingly accurate. Not sure I really see he point of the .400L

I agree totally. I bought a 350L two years ago and I love it. It's like shooting a BB gun compared to the 12ga slug. If I need something bigger, I've got a 45-70. I've been using Winchester Deer Season XP 150gr and it's pretty devastating.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Who needs a 400L when a 350L will do the trick.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I’m too invested in the 350 to switch. Trying to get away from the recoil of a 12 gauge or 450. 400 has a pretty good thump on the back end. So far my 350 hasn’t let me down. If Ohio allowed bottleneck cartridges I still might use the 350. In the hills and forests that I hunt, I wouldn’t gain much with my 7x57, .243, or 30-06.

Ron

What rifle/rifles do you have in 350? I have a CVA but would like a bolt too and I'm leaning towards a Winchester xpr. I've had too many feeding issues with Ruger Americans.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JakeM78
I’m too invested in the 350 to switch. Trying to get away from the recoil of a 12 gauge or 450. 400 has a pretty good thump on the back end. So far my 350 hasn’t let me down. If Ohio allowed bottleneck cartridges I still might use the 350. In the hills and forests that I hunt, I wouldn’t gain much with my 7x57, .243, or 30-06.

Ron

What rifle/rifles do you have in 350? I have a CVA but would like a bolt too and I'm leaning towards a Winchester xpr. I've had too many feeding issues with Ruger Americans.

Apparently they fixed the feeding issues with the gen 2 rifles. Not sure how accurate that is but only going off what I’ve read and heard about them so far.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Motown

Ron

Apparently they fixed the feeding issues with the gen 2 rifles. Not sure how accurate that is but only going off what I’ve read and heard about them so far.

I hear you, but I'm a once (twice actually) bitten, twice shy kind of guy. I have one with the AI mag and that works just fine, but the AR mag and rotary are a no go.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Ron

I hear you, but I'm a once (twice actually) bitten, twice shy kind of guy. I have one with the AI mag and that works just fine, but the AR mag and rotary are a no go.

I have a few buddies that had the same issues with them and I don’t blame you for not going back.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Ron

I have 2 of the Winchester XPR. Surprisingly accurate for the price point. Thinking of having one of them threaded for a suppressor

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by duckster

Ron

I have 2 of the Winchester XPR. Surprisingly accurate for the price point. Thinking of having one of them threaded for a suppressor

I ordered an XPR today. I also intend on it being by backdoor coyote rifle. They are running too far with the 22WMR and 223 is too dang loud.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ron

I’m a wait and see kinda guy. Hard to find any negative reporting around SHOT Show season. Everybody’s all giddy and full of praise.

I like the barrel fluting and Cerakote, could do without the brakes. The stock is what it is; maybe worth upgrading if the rifle turns out okay, with one with a real trigger guard. The rimfire I ordered and came in with the guard broken off annoyed me no end.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by KenMi
Seems like many models of 350s have brakes or threads, but most 400s don't. Strange.

I haven't seen a 350 with a brake, threaded sure. I haven't seen many 400's yet.

My guess is 350's are threaded for suppressors, not brakes. Coupled with sub-sonic ammo, would make ideal feral hog eliminator (bolt-action, not AR platform which still barks when cycling).

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
‘Barks when cycling’ doesn’t matter when using supers, and subs don’t matter for hogs or coyotes anyway. They still hear the shot. They still run. With supers, they don’t know where to run away from, and they offer follow-ups for those that can. The ‘bark’ is more noticeable at the shooter vs anywhere down range. I gave up on the perception of ‘more quiet’ vs the loss of a fast 2nd or 3rd critter long ago. No reason not to run suppressed if you can. No reason to use a bolt instead of a semi, just to be a little less loud, either. JMO

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Is anyone making bullets except the ones designed for handguns?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by willycc
Is anyone making bullets except the ones designed for handguns?

Winchester is for factory loads (obviously)

Other option at the moment are muzzleloader bullets designed for .45. They are the correct size (without sabot).
Barnes 195 grain Expander MZ
Knight 175 grain (by Barnes)
Knight 195 grain (same as the Barnes)
Hornady 200 grain SST (same crappy design as FTX)

Or Cutting Edge makes a 165 grain, but their design is an overpriced shrapnel bullet (like the failed Remington Copper Solid shotgun slugs)

Maker bullets is working on something.
Barnes probably will make a rifle bullet, but it will be a while. All they would need to do is put grooves on the MZ and call it a TSX.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (406_SBC, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.