Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Lol. Meanwhile the "trophy" hogs are eating the farmers out of house and home.

I must be doing it wrong... grin

I have never paid a dime to shoot hogs, and do so on a very regular basis. Got ranches to hunt hogs on that I can't find time to get to.

While there are a few hunting operations that charge hunters willing to pay for that, there's 10 times more farmers and ranchers who don't, and want the hogs gone.... and call people like me.

Got a good friend down here that is a govt hunter. They put him totally on hog duty only. No coyotes anymore. He kills more hogs that the plague. Reckon he pays to hunt them? wink

Barry, I'm sure being local has its benefits. I'm not, but would never pay to hunt TX hogs. Good to know that some TX farmers understand the problem.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The biggest problem I see with this new toxicant is that it is available "for use by licensed pesticide applicators ."

It also takes 3 weeks to "condition" the pigs to eat the feed and use the "approved" feeders before they apply the poison.

The it takes a few days of eating the stuff before the pig croaks.

All that means that a licensed applicator will need to spend a month or so going to your land and selling you the "approved" feeders, the feed and his services.

That is going to get spendy really fast!

Would be a lot more fun to spend the funds on a new AR, night vision scope and some tannerite. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
The biggest problem I see with this new toxicant is that it is available "for use by licensed pesticide applicators ."

It also takes 3 weeks to "condition" the pigs to eat the feed and use the "approved" feeders before they apply the poison.

All that means that a licensed applicator will need to spend a month or so going to your land and selling you the "approved" feeders, the feed and his services.

Would be a lot more fun to spend the funds on a new AR, night vision scope and some tannerite. smile

And now the government comes in a screws it all up with regulations and added cost. Then the licensed applicator has to charge,,, then pay taxes on it too. Just let the farmers do it... jeese, hardly any farmers are stupid. It's almost like the dont really want the problem to go away.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

It's sure not the "magic bullet" that some seem to think it is.

Wouldn't want it around my place. Or the neighboring places.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Lol. Meanwhile the "trophy" hogs are eating the farmers out of house and home.

I must be doing it wrong... grin

I have never paid a dime to shoot hogs, and do so on a very regular basis. Got ranches to hunt hogs on that I can't find time to get to.

While there are a few hunting operations that charge hunters willing to pay for that, there's 10 times more farmers and ranchers who don't, and want the hogs gone.... and call people like me.

Got a good friend down here that is a govt hunter. They put him totally on hog duty only. No coyotes anymore. He kills more hogs that the plague. Reckon he pays to hunt them? wink

Barry, I'm sure being local has its benefits. I'm not, but would never pay to hunt TX hogs. Good to know that some TX farmers understand the problem.

I guess it does, if you like to shoot hogs. grin

FWIW, I know some farmers and ranchers that would rather put up with the hogs than have strangers shooting up the place at night with an AR15.

I'm one of those, I reckon. It'd take a LOT of money before I'd let someone on my place to do that.... (Probably more $$$ than they have wink )

The operations that sell hog hunts and cater to hog hunters for a price, actually DO rid other places of hogs to some extent. They can't possibly have enough hogs on those pay to hunt places to stay in business very long. So guys trap hogs on places that don't want them, and sell them to the operations that do want hogs. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Blood thinners in dead pigs would transfer to other animals eating on them, they say low dose, but it’s got to build up levels to kill 209 pound hog, PETA will throw a fit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus55
Met our state trapper at gas station other day, told him I was going to let these young guys that do their coyote and hog contests come in and shoot a bunch, he kinda got pissed , he said don’t let anyone shoot at them, call state and have him scheduled to come and trap them or get helicopter in and kill them all, I hunted them in Texas for thirty years, I think you can do both, I see them at all times on wheat fields.

Actually, from a standpoint of strictly ridding an area of coyotes, he's absolutely right... IF he knows what he's doing himself, that is.

You let one guy who knows what he's doing on there to kill coyotes, and he'll do a FAR better job of ridding the place of coyotes than a half a dozen guys with a FoxPro and the absolute ability to educate 90% of the coyotes to where they'll never be taken out.

Same applies for hog control. The ineffective idiots will just drive most of them to become nocturnal and multiply clandestinely.

I know most "hunters" don't want to hear stuff like this... But it's a fact, nonetheless. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Darn it, what am I going to do with the custom hog gun I ordered now? Not to mention all that super nuclear beyond light speed hog banger ammo I bought?
Classifieds?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I’ve seen more ranches torn to hell around here by urban sprawl than by hogs.

Yeah there’s a few that come thru along the creek. And I seen some recent sign on the hill behind the ranch house. But we do not have near the issues agriculture-wise that folks over in the blackland and bottom land have. Them folks got crops. And many of them farms are also having same issues with subdivisions springing up around them.

Biggest issue here is 5 acre ranchettes with 15 head of longhorns on it. They enjoy slinging the "Rancher" moniker

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/02/24.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You’re probably right, I just bought a high dollar thermal and custom 308, may hold off calling trapper until spring 🤠, it’s funny to see hogs and big group of calves on wheat fields, it sure puts a stop to picking a few off.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yankee’s moving to hill country, driving there Toyo’s pickup and Australian hats, taking over the vote.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Angus55
Yankee’s moving to hill country, driving there Toyo’s pickup and Australian hats, taking over the vote.

What really gets me are all the missing pet posts on FB these people post when Tabby or Fifi come up missing! Yotes are well fed around here.

Edit! Had the local "snake wrangler” chew me out for killing rattlesnakes! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/02/24.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I am not fond of the poison route at all. We shoot em as we can. Trap em as we can. We have access to places too.

That said all the folks talking about paying to hunt and people making money.

Would you refuse a raise? Would you refuse to sell your cattle at a higher price?

So many want to shoot pigs. So many want to do it for free. I get that. But in there is free market. If you didn't want to shoot pigs then this wouldn't matter at all.
I do know plenty that will shoot for reasonable amounts. We used to do an annual down south but the property got sold. It was a fun long weekend and affordable. I would not hold it against if he had gone up.

It is what it is. But I fail to see that if you can make the most you can why can't he so to speak.

heck I would still love to find cheap nilgai cow hunts and cheap axis cull or doe hunts just for the freezer . They don't exist for what I am willing to pay. Even whitetail doe hunts to add to the larder are higher than I'm willing. But I dont' constantly complain about it on the internet.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
I am not fond of the poison route at all. We shoot em as we can. Trap em as we can. We have access to places too.

Would you refuse a raise? Would you refuse to sell your cattle at a higher price?

So many want to shoot pigs. So many want to do it for free. I get that. But in there is free market. If you didn't want to shoot pigs then this wouldn't matter at all.
I do know plenty that will shoot for reasonable amounts. We used to do an annual down south but the property got sold. It was a fun long weekend and affordable. I would not hold it against if he had gone up.

It is what it is. But I fail to see that if you can make the most you can why can't he so to speak.

heck I would still love to find cheap nilgai cow hunts and cheap axis cull or doe hunts just for the freezer . They don't exist for what I am willing to pay. Even whitetail doe hunts to add to the larder are higher than I'm willing. But I dont' constantly complain about it on the internet.

True that.

There's only a market for something if there's a demand for it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Winchester21
Damn. I was hoping this was about illegals.

Ha, not a chance. They may rape and murder and kill 10 or so a day in car crashes but they vote dimocrap.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by rost495

Well, you have good points, and I never shot a hog, never hunted them, never wanted to . The reason is , they complain up a storm about pigs and people here even asked if they could hunt them and the answer was always no. The reaoson was just excuses like " I let some hunt once and they left the gate open, or left garbage, and NEVER AGAIN is what they say.. Well, some are idiots, but I bet 99% here would shoot a hog on your land , and take you out for a Prime rib come sundown.. There are only a very select few here that I would not trust on my land.. I even told a guy here on the Campfire he can use my cabin for a bear hunt in NW Wi if he wants to.. He had another place anyway , but still. I knew him from a friend of a friend.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You got to think like a Rancher, the most important thing you have is your cattle, there everything, and to let a bunch of fast talking, bragging city boy’s, that claim this and that, on your place at night with thermal’s , with black hogs and black cows, HELL no, only people you know and have watched grow up, or someone like Barry, that knows not to pull a trigger on impulse . That may be a lot of not letting strangers on your place, turkeys and quail is one thing totally different.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The only people around here that complain about hogs are realtors. I know of very few ranchers around here that do. They will shoot one if they see one. They look at them as a pest and not really a major nuisance.

The media around here has done more to spread the word of a “wild hog epidemic!!!" Than anyone else. And they always start with hogs in a subdivision somewhere!!!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only thing worse than the hogs are the hog hunters. At least deer hunters pay good money and don't typically tear your stuff up.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hog problem? What hog problem...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AB2506, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,220
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.