Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking for some venison recipes to try. I know I can look online or in a cookbook, but I want to hear it from people who actually hunt and enjoy venison. So let's hear what you have.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Let hang 3 days in cold weather. Cut out backstraps and tenderloins. Remove all silver skin and cap from meat. Salt, pepper, and grill to medium rare. Refrigerate leftovers. Eat cold next day.

Hindquarters. Break down groups. Throw a few in the crock pot with beef broth and an onion. Get home from work and put on a bun with BBQ sauce.

Grind up 70/30 with maple bacon. Best hamburger on the planet.

Front shoulders. Smoke and eat like a turkey leg.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Slice of the Wild by Mrs. Mule Deer is your huckleberry.

The very first recipe I tried was the Al Fresco roast. Mrs. FC ate 2/3 of it in one sitting.

Mrs. FC is a vegan.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Let hang 3 days in cold weather. Cut out backstraps and tenderloins. Remove all silver skin and cap from meat. Salt, pepper, and grill to medium rare. Refrigerate leftovers. Eat cold next day.

Hindquarters. Break down groups. Throw a few in the crock pot with beef broth and an onion. Get home from work and put on a bun with BBQ sauce.

Grind up 70/30 with maple bacon. Best hamburger on the planet.

Front shoulders. Smoke and eat like a turkey leg.

Simple and easy is what I am looking for. Thank you so much.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had some good loin sreaks last night. Wife loved it.
Cut the steaks 3/4" thick. Pound with a tenderizing mallet to a 1/2 thickness.
Seasoned one side with black pepper,onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
Put in a gallon ziplock and shake around to spread seasoning around.
Poured in a dash of red wine, olive oil and allegro Marinade. Shakeup to mix and coat, press air out of bag seal up and put in refrigerator for 3 hours.
In a large skillet coat with Olive oil slice up enough button mushrooms to cover skillet. When the mushrooms were almost tender put in the steaks and sautee about 3 minutes per side. When the juice starts coming out of the steaks they are medium to medium rare. take off the fire and serve.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have posted this before---- It is very good-------------------------This great dish is named after an old hermit that lived a few miles from my hunting camp, that died by freezing his foot in a bucket of water. Vic Orsini. I never measure when I cook. Slice up sweet onion, green pepper, fresh garlic, mushrooms. Chunk up 1� pound of Venison in 3/4" cubes. In a large (12")cast iron skillet melt a good amount of butter (3/4 stick) and add a little olive oil. Season Veg. with a fair amount of pepper,rosemary,thyme,basil, oregano. Fry down Veg. first without the meat. After Veg. are fried down push to the side turn up the heat and quickly stir fry up the meat and mix into Veg. Add about 1/2 � of a 7oz. bottle of Oyster Sauce ( found in Stores near Soy Sauce). Turn off heat and add a few large scoops of Sour Cream. Mix everything together. This Stroganoff type venison was first served on thin slices of French bread as finger food in my hunting camp, It also goes good over couscous ,rice, or just plain. I've never served this to anyone that didn't go back for seconds. Enjoy --- It's called VENISON ORSINI ---Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you do, don’t leave the tenderloins in the carcass. Cut them out while the elk is still warm, put them in a large zip lock bag and squeeze out all the excess air. Leave them in the refrigerator for 7 days and then clean all the facia out of them.

Marinate them in teriyaki with some Worcestershire sauce, white rice vinegar and a few shakes of Tabasco sauce for around 2 hours, turning and kneading every 15 minutes.

Take the two tenderloins and season them with course ground black pepper and Lawrys seasoned salt, cut strips of butter long enough to reach full length of the tenderloins and tie them together with string. Seasonal the exterior with more course ground black pepper and put them on a smoker grill at about 400 degrees.

Grill them until the outside is noticeably cooked. Then cut the string and finish them separately until they are medium rare..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That looks fantastic.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had some good loin sreaks last night. Wife loved it.
Cut the steaks 3/4" thick. Pound with a tenderizing mallet to a 1/2 thickness.
Seasoned one side with black pepper,onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
Put in a gallon ziplock and shake around to spread seasoning around.
Poured in a dash of red wine, olive oil and allegro Marinade. Shakeup to mix and coat, press air out of bag seal up and put in refrigerator for 3 hours.
In a large skillet coat with Olive oil slice up enough button mushrooms to cover skillet. When the mushrooms were almost tender put in the steaks and sautee about 3 minutes per side. When the juice starts coming out of the steaks they are medium to medium rare. take off the fire and serve.
I looked up the Allegro marinade. Is it the "Original" marinade?

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whatever you do, don’t leave the tenderloins in the carcass. Cut them out while the elk is still warm, put them in a large zip lock bag and squeeze out all the excess air. Leave them in the refrigerator for 7 days and then clean all the facia out of them.

Marinate them in teriyaki with some Worcestershire sauce, white rice vinegar and a few shakes of Tabasco sauce for around 2 hours, turning and kneading every 15 minutes.

Take the two tenderloins and season them with course ground black pepper and Lawrys seasoned salt, cut strips of butter long enough to reach full length of the tenderloins and tie them together with string. Seasonal the exterior with more course ground black pepper and put them on a smoker grill at about 400 degrees.

Grill them until the outside is noticeably cooked. Then cut the string and finish them separately until they are medium rare..

Looks yummy!

IC B3

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wldthg
I have posted this before---- It is very good-------------------------This great dish is named after an old hermit that lived a few miles from my hunting camp, that died by freezing his foot in a bucket of water. Vic Orsini. I never measure when I cook. Slice up sweet onion, green pepper, fresh garlic, mushrooms. Chunk up 1� pound of Venison in 3/4" cubes. In a large (12")cast iron skillet melt a good amount of butter (3/4 stick) and add a little olive oil. Season Veg. with a fair amount of pepper,rosemary,thyme,basil, oregano. Fry down Veg. first without the meat. After Veg. are fried down push to the side turn up the heat and quickly stir fry up the meat and mix into Veg. Add about 1/2 � of a 7oz. bottle of Oyster Sauce ( found in Stores near Soy Sauce). Turn off heat and add a few large scoops of Sour Cream. Mix everything together. This Stroganoff type venison was first served on thin slices of French bread as finger food in my hunting camp, It also goes good over couscous ,rice, or just plain. I've never served this to anyone that didn't go back for seconds. Enjoy --- It's called VENISON ORSINI ---Web
I had to look up couscous... I learn something new every day. My wife loves stroganoff and I am sure this will be a winner.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Barm---- please let me know if you like it--- Thanks Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to slice the backstrap in to steaks.

Tenderize.

Marinate n your favorite seasonings.
I use a mix of zesty Italian / Moores.

Put a jalapeño slice on each steak and wrap in bacon.

Season with dry seasons. Tony’s or whatever’s.

Grill to medium.

Fresh jalepenos add a little more kick.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Slice of the Wild by Mrs. Mule Deer is your huckleberry.

The very first recipe I tried was the Al Fresco roast. Mrs. FC ate 2/3 of it in one sitting.

Mrs. FC is a vegan.

FC

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ as well as her newer book, "The Wild Bowl." My wife liked deer meat okay, really appreciates that it's not commercially raised beef, etc. The methods and recipes in the above two referenced books have made her very, very happy. I spent most of my spare time from September through the end of December deer hunting (we have a long season in SC). I killed 8 deer. We have one small freezer loaded right to the top with nothing but venison. Absolutely no complaints from my wife about the money or time spent in filling it. A lot of the credit goes to Eileen.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
PSA: I've seen Moore's and Allegro marinades mentioned. They're made using chemistry set, hydrolyzed soy protein fake soy sauce. Same for Dale's. For a solid level up, use/make a marinade with naturally brewed real soy sauce.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wldthg
Barm---- please let me know if you like it--- Thanks Web
I wii let you know.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Tenderize.

Grill to medium.

I have seen several mention medium to medium rare. i think in the past we have been overcooking it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by barm

Tenderize.

Grill to medium.

I have seen several mention medium to medium rare. i think in the past we have been overcooking it.

If you are going to fry, grill or dry roast venison, the worst thing you can do is cook it past medium rare. It's a very dry, low fat meat.

STRONGLY suggest you get Eileen Clarke's book, "Slice of the Wild" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Mathew 22: 37-39

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by barm

Tenderize.

Grill to medium.

If you are going to fry, grill or dry roast venison, the worst thing you can do is cook it past medium rare. It's a very dry, low fat meat.

STRONGLY suggest you get Eileen Clarke's book, "Slice of the Wild" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

YES, I saw you STRONGLY suggested it. I have the book.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For starters I age venison at least 14 days on ice and keep the water drained off the meat. My favorite is fried cube steak and thin cut 1/4" or less fried back strap. IMO, nothing beats fried food.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 16 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.