Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Back when bonded bullets were unobtainium I could always get ELD-X's for the 6.5 CM. I've put down 4 cow elk with the 143 gr. ELD-X, always waiting until I could put the bullet tight in the leg crease.

Now I have a pile of 143 gr. Norma Bondstrikes which gives me warm fuzzies when the broadside shot just isn't offered up.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by Sheister
The 140 Accubond would be my choice and is in my 26 Nosler pushing them around 3450 fps. Last elk I killed with it was 127 yards broadside. Bullet went though both shoulder blades a rib on each side, and caught the bottom of the spine and was found just under the skin on the far side with a perfect mushroom... and they are very accurate in my 26 Nosler...
How many times did you shoot the elk?

Once and down. Yeah, I know I got this answer from several people who don't understand elk anatomy. Take a look at an elk anatomy chart and you will see the spine travels down between the top of the shoulder blades at that point. I was purposely aiming for a high shoulder shot so I wouldn't have to track as this elk was standing in the middle of a very large herd of elk- probably 250-300 elk and all I had was a spike tag...

[Linked Image from 2img.net]

Last edited by Sheister; 01/27/24.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d take the 140 AB myself. But either or would be great. Accubonds have smashed a lot of elk for my hunting group.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would choose the 120 TTSX @ 3250 fps of the two loads offered. Personal preference - if I can have a TTSX in a caliber, thats my default. Have seen them work in 6mm, 6,5 mm, 7 mm, .308, 8 mm, 9,3 mm on critters from roebuck to brown bear (just the 9,3 :-)

How do I feel about the 6,5 SAUM with Barnes TTSX 120 @ 3250 as an elk rifle? I feel, I could get it done, but it would not be my choice for an outfitted, once-in-a-life govenours tag elk hunt nor a rations late season OTC any sex hunt.

Anything will work, when things go right - I just like a bigger hole in the hide for added insurance of a proper blood trail, when things go wrong.

My two cents. Good luck with your choice.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm in the TTSX line...

Barnes ALWAYS work when put in the right spot.

Nosler, I won't buy any of their products until they quit this drug dealer pricing on their stuff that they got going on.

You didn't mention a partition, but I have a bunch of 140 grainers in 6.5 bore...

I know they work.. never used the AccuBomb.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey Seabud- I have only used an Accubond on one animal, that West Texas Aoudad (32" he was a good one!) I was given a 338 RUM from my old gunsmith friend, Ray, before he died. This was back in 2007. I worked up a load with the .338/180 NAB going right at 3500fps. It was a flat shooter. Ram was 240-270 yds away. When he turned sideways I popped him. He staggered, made one "crow hop", died. That Accubond acted like a Partition! .75" entrance, golf ball size exit, chaos in between. Man did he stink! But I did my exam on him. We dressed him out and gave the meat to the Mexican cowhands that lived/worked on the Ranch. They ground it up for Tacos. This was out beyond Sanderson. Its only one example, but I have shot many in several rifles. Usually very accurate. I used H4831. The Outfitter really wanted the rifle so sold it to him. Since my gunsmith has died, I wish I had it back. I had his OK to sell it, as he knew the rife was butt ugly too! ha It was a blued Vanguard Action (Howa of course) with a "Gain Twist " barrel made in Kalispel, Montana. It was in a Boyd Pepper Laminate stock. There was just something about it that did not please the eye. lol

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know what kind of terrain you hunt
But the TTSX for me. It just works!
I would consider the AB if you hunt open country and shots can be on the longer side. Then I might consider the AB

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn’t shoot any 6.5 at elk. Stubborn like that I guess. I elk hunt with a 225 partition and it drops them immediately. I typically hunt in heavily wooded areas and prefer to not lose my animals because they are wounded and can travel a long way!
Can an elk be killed with a 6.5? Yes. Can an elk be lost easily with a 6.5? YES! This conversation usually incites some sort of negative response from someone who has killed an elk with a Creedmoor and wants to compare ballistic charts. For every story someone has about killing a bull with a creedmoor, I have an equal or greater amount of stories for people that have lost one.
None of that crap matters for elk hunting. Learn your rifles shooting abilities. It’s that simple. Back to your question:
I think either bullet would work fine, as long as the gun shoots them well. I would just prefer a bigger cartridge.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My first inclination / smart assed answer would be: None of the above…

But given the choices, I would go with the TTSX because they have never failed me in any calibre. Since you are starting out with light bullets anyway, I would stick with the highest weight retention one. With the AB 60-70% weight retention, you are left with something under 100 gr to keep on penetrating. With the TTSX, you have 114 or so grains with cutting petals instead of a mushroom.

Good luck on your hunt!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MRKbass2
I wouldn’t shoot any 6.5 at elk. Stubborn like that I guess. I elk hunt with a 225 partition and it drops them immediately. I typically hunt in heavily wooded areas and prefer to not lose my animals because they are wounded and can travel a long way!
Can an elk be killed with a 6.5? Yes. Can an elk be lost easily with a 6.5? YES! This conversation usually incites some sort of negative response from someone who has killed an elk with a Creedmoor and wants to compare ballistic charts. For every story someone has about killing a bull with a creedmoor, I have an equal or greater amount of stories for people that have lost one.
None of that crap matters for elk hunting. Learn your rifles shooting abilities. It’s that simple. Back to your question:
I think either bullet would work fine, as long as the gun shoots them well. I would just prefer a bigger cartridge.

What's the smallest cartridge you've used to take elk? What cartridges have you used?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
35 Whelen. 225 Partition at 2725. I have others that I could take elk hunting, but choose to avoid the situation I previously mentioned

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
35 Whelen. 225 Partition at 2725. I have others that I could take elk hunting, but choose to avoid the situation I previously mentioned

I appreciate the honest answer.

Since your bias is towards medium/large bores, I'd suggest your lack of experience with smaller calibers doesn't really qualify you to comment on rounds under .358."

BUT I also realize most everyone has an opinion, and a lack of experience doesn't stop many on this forum from offering one. But I'd also note not all opinion's are created equal, as is the case with your opinion of the 6.5 CM.

Not trying to be a smart ass, just pointing out the obvious.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had good results with both TSX/TTSX and Accubond bullets, but not in 6.5 caliber. TSX and TTSX are my go to bullets in my .375 RUM and .300 Wby. 160 gr Accubonds are my go to bullets in my 7 mm RM. I've killed a pile of critters on 4 continents with those 3 bullets and rifles. To the OP's question, I'd have to flip a coin...

Originally Posted by Brad
What's the smallest cartridge you've used to take elk? What cartridges have you used?
The smallest cartridge that I've killed an elk with was my .257 Ackley with a 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullet. He was my second largest 6x6 bull, and at my shot, he simply collapsed dead where he was standing.

I killed my frist elk with a .30-40 Krag, then a bunch with a .30-06 with 150 gr Hornady or 180 gr Sierra cup and core bullets, one bull with a fiberglass arrow from a recurve bow, the bull with my .257 Ackley, then 20 some elk with 180 gr Partitions from my .30 Gibbs, one with a 160 gr Accubond from my 7 mm RM, then 2 bulls with my .300 Wby, one with a 168 gr TSX, the other with a 168 gr TTSX bullet. All were DIY, most were bulls, and most were on public land.

Originally Posted by WAM
... With the TTSX, you have 114 or so grains with cutting petals instead of a mushroom.
I have a pile of recovered .30 and .375 caliber TSX and TTSX bullets that all mushroomed perfectly except for a few that probably hit a bone and lost one petal. The petals of all of them mushroomed over leaving a larger than caliber frontal area with no sharp cutting surfaces.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Brad

I appreciate the honest answer.

Since your bias is towards medium/large bores, I'd suggest your lack of experience with smaller calibers that doesn't really qualify you to comment on rounds under .358."

BUT I also realize most everyone has an opinion, and a lack of experience doesn't stop many on this forum from offering one. But I'd also note not all opinion's are created equal, as is the case with your opinion of the 6.5 CM.

Not trying to be a smart ass, just pointing out the obvious.

Just because I choose to not shoot that caliber does not mean I have zero experience with how those cartridges perform. I’ve hunted elk for 35 years, and have an opinion based on results. I have never lost an animal in that many years in the woods. An assumption that I don’t have experience on how those cartridges perform for others in my presence, just because I prefer to hunt with a different rifle/ cartridge is ignorance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of things will work for elk but I prefer 30 cal and above and 200gr and above. The smallest I've used is a 7-08. It worked but I prefer bigger. I tend to subscribe to the Bob Hagel school of thought.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You betcha AZ, I'm a Hagel Fan from way back! Ha. I could never get my rifles to shoot as hot as his load data, but had fun trying! I almost had my BDL 7mm RM rechambered to the Super Mashburn or 7mm/300WBY,(Amended: I forgot that I wrote Mr Hagel for his advice on reaming my 7 mag to 7mm/300Wby. He wrote back that I would not gain much in a 24" barrel. Too much powder, Not worth it. At that time I knew no one who would do a 7mm Mashburn , saw no dies offered , was 1981, out of it.) but having no hobby money (young family) I made do. I shot those little deer with 150 PT. I was just looking at his book last night, reading again about rifles for Heavy Game in Timber. I wish I had met the man. I am a firm believer in hitting elk size Game hard, real hard.

20 yrs later, smallest caliber I ever used on a big animal (Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas) was a little 6x47mm (222 magnum necked up) in a 27 inch barrel. I got 2900fps/85xbt. (like an 18" .243 would be)_ I was recovering from a fused neck surgery. I had taken an axis doe and a big axis buck and the Oryx was an unexpected surprise. I traded a rifle and 2K for him to the Outfitter. Followed him and 4 cows about a half mile. Wind was swirling. At a lasered 184 yards I shot him (kneeling supported) at the base of the neck. DRT. It had made a pass through. At 75yds, I gave him an insurance shot, ( he was on his side, chest toward me), shooting him up from the brisket bullet through his heart it broke and stopped in backbone. He measured a tad over 41". Needle sharp horn tips. That was very surgical shooting, and very rare occasion. I only used that rifle because it had no recoil to speak of. It later got reamed out to a 243 and I gave it to my friend in South Africa. Point being, that yes, even at that speed and light bullet, I was able to get the right shot. That too is very rare, 90% of time they are at a very hard angle. If I had too, I was going to head shoot him. I like a big enough gun to punch him from groin to breaking an off shoulder as it exits! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/02/24.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Barnes TTSX, though either will work. A good bullet, in the right place, kills stuff.

I've been using Barnes X, XLC, TSX and TTSX since about 1992. Have not recovered a bullet yet, and I have not needed a 2nd shot since.

This past season, my son took his first elk, a cow, at about 245yds, with a 243 TC Icon and 80gr TTSX. She was facing him and I heard the bullet hit, but she went down so fast he thought he missed. Shot hit the left front, busted the heavy bone, went through the left lung and I found bullet holes in the intestines.

I would have loved to find that bullet, but the shot was made within the last 10 minutes of legal shooting time and my headlamp battery was failing. We ended up getting her out of the woods using his cell phone flashlight to light the way.

A few weeks later, using the same rifle/bullet, he took his first deer, a whitetail doe, at 308yds. First shot was in the last ribs and exited, she moved about 20 feet, and 2nd shot hit her in the left front leg, went through both lungs and exited.

Last edited by k22hornet; 02/02/24. Reason: spelling
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AZtwins
A lot of things will work for elk but I prefer 30 cal and above and 200gr and above. The smallest I've used is a 7-08. It worked but I prefer bigger. I tend to subscribe to the Bob Hagel school of thought.

I've only killed six elk so not a lot of experience. First three with one shot each from my 6.5x06 with 140gr bullet. Hit them right and they just fall down. Last three with my 30-06. One shot each with a 180gr Hornady Interlock. Again, hit them right and they just fall down. Those three with the 30-06 are the only three animals I've ever shot with the 30-06. But lot's of experience shooting deer with a 308 and 165gr bullet's. It's the bullet that kills but it has to be placed right! Doesn't surprise me one bit the 200gr from the 30-06 works well. I also believe that I could use my 243 on elk and do very well. Secret is use a good bullet and place it properly, animals are not bullet proof! Over the years I have also gone from liking velocity to kill with to thinking all velocity actually does is tear up lighter bullet's and helping heavier bullet's penetrate. I think choosing a proper bullet requires some though! Then of course, as with something like a 243, a bunch of though has to go into what makes a proper shot for the bullet your using at the velocity it's traveling. I have always found it best to get as close as I could to animals before shooting. Hitting even an animal large as an elk at 300yds from a field position is no where near as easy as shooting a 1" group from a bench at a paper target at 100 yds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of my Dad's used a Savage 99 in 243 for everything (this was 50 years ago) - he was not a "gun guy" and it was the only rifle he owned. I watched him shoot deer, elk and antelope with it and he killed a mountain goat with it. I wouldn't do that but I am a "gun guy" and have a lot to choose from that are better suited to the job.

Last edited by AZtwins; 02/02/24.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bet if you interviewed 100 hunters that used

30-06
7 RM
300 wm
338 wm
or similar

And asked them to honestly answer how many elk you’ve wounded and lost/ wasted.

Compared to:

Those willing to admit their loss/wasted animals by themselves personally or by friends with the use of a 6.5 cm, 243, etc

I bet you would be shocked at the difference.

I have heard of way too many stories of unsuccessful hunters wounding animals, and then going to shoot another because they never recovered the first and wasted it. If hunting regulations worked in a way that you were done the first time you pulled the trigger, you would see people converting to cartridges that provide stronger success rates.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 21 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.