Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Loaded some 155 scenars in .308. my Hornady custom die is putting a crease in them when I seat them.

Am I doing something wrong or is the a faulty die or no big deal? Thanks....

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The internal contour of the seating plug doesn't suit the Scenar ogive, so all the seating force is concentrated in that narrow ring.

What's the "neck tension" in thousandths?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman
The internal contour of the seating plug doesn't suit the Scenar ogive, so all the seating force is concentrated in that narrow ring.

Thanks man, but hell if I know. I just follow the directions that came with the die. I'm dense about this stuff. To reduce neck tension do I screw out the stem or the die body? Apologies for being a nitwit. ..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman

This^^^

The seater plug is is a gross mismatch for the bullet or there is some bodacious tension on those bullets.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What we casually call neck tension is really the amount of interference fit when the bullet is seated.

For example, the outside diameter of the necks of my sized cases measures .332". When the bullet is seated it's .336", so that's a .004" interference fit.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Thanks man, but hell if I know. I just follow the directions that came with the die. I'm dense about this stuff. To reduce neck tension do I screw out the stem or the die body? Apologies for being a nitwit. ..

Not a nitwit at all. It’s part of the learning curve.

It might have less to do with the seating die. The problem started during the sizing process.

The sizing die is sizing the neck to a smaller than needed diameter. Part of this can also be caused by thicker neck walls.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/29/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Also, the expander ball may be a bit undersized.

What brand and type of sizing die are you using?

Ok, I see what die you’re using.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/29/24.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As MM says, the seater plug is concentrating the force during seating on that ring seen on the bullet. I know nothing about Hornady dies or the seater shape. I wonder if Hornady offers a different seater plug for their die.

If it was me, I would get out my Dremel, a felt wheel, some grinding compound and modify the angle of the seater plug so that a larger area of the seater plug contacts the bullet.

Or buy a different seater die. I realize it’s your money I’m spending here.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the help. A different seater die might cost less than crappy ammo. I thought I was stepping up from the rcbs with "Hornady custom". Suppose this is one reason for Forster? Nothing is ever easy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Thanks for the help. A different seater die might cost less than crappy ammo. I thought I was stepping up from the rcbs with "Hornady custom". Suppose this is one reason for Forster? Nothing is ever easy.

Forster.

It’s only money……🙂

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You could call Hornady. I know Lee will make you a custom seater plug if needed for their dies for a couple bucks. Send them the bullet you're seating and they will make a seater plug to fit it. Perhaps Hornady will do the same.

I know this because of loading 17 Hornet for a guy using the Nosler 20 gr tipped VMG bullet. Opposite problem you're having. Bullet tip only was hitting the top of the seating plug and making it very difficult to seat the bullet concentric.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
As MM says, the seater plug is concentrating the force during seating on that ring seen on the bullet. I know nothing about Hornady dies or the seater shape. I wonder if Hornady offers a different seater plug for their die.

If it was me, I would get out my Dremel, a felt wheel, some grinding compound and modify the angle of the seater plug so that a larger area of the seater plug contacts the bullet.

Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Or chuck a bullet in a drill, put some grinding compound on the bullet tip and run it into the seating plug. Go a little at a time and seat some sample bullets until you’ve eliminated or minimized the pressure ring. Also do check your interference fit as MM describes.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve never tried it that way but others have said it works well! One of these days I will….

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the same issue with my RCBS die. I decided to contact RCBS and pay to have a seating stem custom made for the scenars. You send in 3 bullets of your choice, mine being the 155's, and in about 2 weeks, they mail you out a new stem custom made for that bullet. I'm sure that Hornady does the same. Now I also use the 130 ttsx and the original stem leaves mars on those as well. So I took 1 ttsx, and coated it with shoe polish. I then took the original seating stem out of the die and put JB weld into it. pressed the polished 130 ttsx into it and the JB oozed out. I let ir dry and trimmed off the excess. Now I have a stem specifically for the 130's and the 155's. No more marks on bullets.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh and one more thing, unless I missed it, you can drill out the stem deeper so that the tip of the scenar isn't bottoming out. Then come back and polish as mentioned above. I ran into this with the berger vld's in my 7 mag die. here is a good video on how its done.

Seating stem mod

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks so much everyone. A wealth of knowledge here. I'll check some measurements and see which way to go. I appreciate the help and suggestions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A dab of JB Weld (in the seater plug) and a bullet with some wax on it will make a perfect mold as well. I will usually drill the tip out (JB weld) a bit after so the bullet tips cannot touch.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Never know when a bullet and seater stem might have a serious mismatch. Combine that with a lot of neck tension and there you go. I have a Forster die setup right now that is doing the same with .223 and the 77TMK. Need to sort it out.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Do they make a VLD seating stem for those Hornady dies?

The JBWeld hack mentioned by beretzs is the quickest and easiest way to fix this situation.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
A dab of JB Weld (in the seater plug) and a bullet with some wax on it will make a perfect mold as well. I will usually drill the tip out (JB weld) a bit after so the bullet tips cannot touch.

↑ This, I've done several. I choose my straightest bullet for the mold and the runout is always decreased after bedding.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 9 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,451
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.