Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Might be an unpopular opinion. But I’d much rather my tax dollars be used to pay off an American Student’s college loans,(especially one working in public service) than be used to pay the bloated salary of a Ukrainian Bureaucrat.

Bingo. In 2017 we spent 47 BILLION dollars in foreign aid. Completely f ucking insane.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
While we're at it, why is the federal government giving money to universities with endowments in the hundreds of millions?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some kf the local counties in these parts have tuition reimbursement.

Funded by the county ( tax payers)

The student ( or adult) signs up the class or program.

Pays for it.

Completes the program and then is reimbursed the cost..

Makes them have “skin in the game”. An incentive.

Dont complete, quit in the middle, etc.. no reimbursement. ( though you may get a prorated refund).

Id rather tax momey be used for someone that wants to better themselves than some freeloader gaming the welfare system.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Student loans are no different than buying an auto and getting a loan or taking on credit card debt. YOU are not forced to sign for any of them, so why should YOUR debt be forgiven. If you can't make your payments on a fancy truck that you did not need, they take THEIR truck back because you don't own it till it's paid for. The same goes for student loan debt, they need to take your degree till the loan is repayed by YOU, not by other taxpayers. I know many people personally that live in fancy houses, drive expensive vehicles, have boats and other expensive toys, and take several expensive vacations a year, and they cry for student loan forgiveness because they say they can't afford the payments. Next it will be forgive all my loans.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's more to it than just taking a loan and paying it back. The students are getting screwed by the banks and there's no way out. I have an acquaintance who's a retired Marine. He went back to school and got caught in the loan game. He says that he can't possibly ever pay it off. I don't know how it works but he says that they manipulate the interest so that it builds up faster than you can pay it off. He's current on the scheduled payments but the loan just keeps getting bigger. He and his wife separated their finances and she owns everything. If they ever come after him, he won't have anything for them to take. The worst thing a borrower can do is to delay starting the payments. They allow them to delay payment and that's where the interest scam kicks in. They get hooked into a never ending cycle. He's made every payment for 5 years but his loan is bigger now than when he started, all from escalating interest.
He says that the government doesn't need to cancel the loans. They need to solve the never ending interest situation to give the students a chance to pay it off before it balloons. As it is, students see that they're forever indebted so they just quit paying at all.

Here's a guy who put in 20 years serving our country. Now the country is allowing him to be royally screwed by the big money interests. It's a sad situation.

Rockchuck,

That sounds more like a private student loan than anything .gov is attached to. When I grad from college (98) there were those type of loans out there and folks were warned to stay away because of buried terms like what you described. Bad deal for your friend. He of all people should have been eligible for an hhonest loan to attend school if needed.

I went through w/o loans or money from my folks. Was 4th in my HS class which got me a scholarship at our local jr college so I took 2yrs there then transferred and finished at a local 4yr university. I started working the day after HS graduation at the company I’m still with today working 24hr/wk during school and then 40hr/wk all summer. Because it was coming out of my pocket, I never deviated from my curriculum and took 15-18 credits/semester to get out in 4yr. I enjoyed school quite a bit but didn’t see the need to prolong it and pay any longer than absolutely necessary. 30 yrs service this year at 47yo and zero debt and a paid for house with 4 kids and a respectable net worth. A good hand dealt to me by the Man upstairs and very wise parents who taught me to work to thank for all of it.

The schools should be backing any loans with their own endowments instead of the gov’t….would make loan forgiveness and degrees with no potential for employment disappear immediately and eventually the DEI crap which only hurts the bottom line would wither and die too.

Fear the crabcat.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
While we're at it, why is the federal government giving money to universities with endowments in the hundreds of millions?

Hammer squarely on the head of the nail, JH.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From 1986-88 (4 semesters) I went to college and got an AAS degree in welding. Cost at the time was $520 a semester=$1040 a year. Didn't live on campus or have a meal plan. Apartment rent was $110 per month=$990 a year. So tuition and room cost me $2030 per year. I had a farm/ranch job that paid $800 per month during the summer and I could work on weekends and school breaks. I could make enough money over summer to cover my tuition and rent for an entire year of school.

At todays rates, my kid graduated from an in-state 4 year school a couple years ago, and it was costing him around $8000 per semester for tuition, room, meal plan. $16K per year and that isn't bad compared to out-of-state-high-dollar schools. No way in heck he could make $16,000 over the 3 month summer break to cover costs, like I did.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen, carden. That's what I said above. A student loan should have the diploma/degree as collateral. If you don't pay the loan, your degree is "repossessed." You can say you attended college, but there'd be no record that said you graduated.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well...the fugging boomers got together and decided to make a college degree a mandatory requirement for employment.

It was and is used as a barrier to employment. Almost like an apprenticeship program.

So...it became retarded expensive with the help of the govt.

Good job.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, so who made a college degree a requirement for us "boomers" to get a job, huh?

The fact is that there were so many of us boomers that competition for jobs was murderous. If you didn't have a degree, you were screwed. Can we blame the Greatest Generation employers for that? Maybe. But being boomers, we didn't. We just forged ahead and worked our asses off to be just that much better. It's a trait that's been lost.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It wasn't. Not nearly to the same degree.

Unless you wanted to be an accountant or a draftsman.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
An example of that would be that back in the day...employers hired candidates who had degrees that were relevant to the job.

Now you just need a degree. Any degree.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, that was true for me even then. I went to college for one reason only: to get my USAF commission. Any degree counted, but you had to have one. There were LOTS of pilots back then with degrees in Music, History, or (like me) English Lit. Useless degrees? maybe, but it got me a full military career, and eventually even got me into NASA.

Oh, and I can write.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer
Student Loans are already being forgiven on the sly. A young lady I know told me if you have paid for a certain amount of years, Yippeee, your loan disappears. She had $25,000 forgiven. The Biden administration is doing it on the sly and I don't think many people know about it. And of course, the "News" is certainly not reporting it.
It's not really 'on the sly' I don't think. It was a program passed long ago called PSLF, basically if you go to work for a qualifying govt job (teaching for instance ) and make 10 payments or years, I'm not sure which, your balance is wiped off the books. Personally I think this is a back door crony deal for the teachers unions. Buying votes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Which is exactly why an awful lot of us hate officers in general and especially Air Farce turds. Elitist, opportunists that only care about how they can get more than the next guy with absolutely no concept of community or fellowship.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well...the fugging boomers got together and decided to make a college degree a mandatory requirement for employment.

It was and is used as a barrier to employment. Almost like an apprenticeship program.

So...it became retarded expensive with the help of the govt.

Good job.

Nailed it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You ever wonder why student loan forgiveness is never mentioned for trade school programs?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Actually, that was true for me even then. I went to college for one reason only: to get my USAF commission. Any degree counted, but you had to have one. There were LOTS of pilots back then with degrees in Music, History, or (like me) English Lit. Useless degrees? maybe, but it got me a full military career, and eventually even got me into NASA.

Oh, and I can write.

We aren't talking needing a degree to become an officer.

More of needing a degree...any degree to mow the lawn at the court house.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer
Student Loans are already being forgiven on the sly. A young lady I know told me if you have paid for a certain amount of years, Yippeee, your loan disappears. She had $25,000 forgiven. The Biden administration is doing it on the sly and I don't think many people know about it. And of course, the "News" is certainly not reporting it.
It's not really 'on the sly' I don't think. It was a program passed long ago called PSLF, basically if you go to work for a qualifying govt job (teaching for instance ) and make 10 payments or years, I'm not sure which, your balance is wiped off the books. Personally I think this is a back door crony deal for the teachers unions. Buying votes.

It's for many, many public service trades. You know, like the gi bill for the military. But I'm sure that's ok...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Might be an unpopular opinion. But I’d much rather my tax dollars be used to pay off an American Student’s college loans,(especially one working in public service) than be used to pay the bloated salary of a Ukrainian Bureaucrat.

Bingo. In 2017 we spent 47 BILLION dollars in foreign aid. Completely f ucking insane.

How about neither.

Go start a business and see how expensive it is. Most of the student loan detractors have no idea. I had a guy say it was crazy guys were getting out of PA school with 100k in debt. I asked him his much he thought the boat fishing off of actually cost. It costs me 3-350k to put a new boat in service if I include permit costs.

If you can get a high earning career you can work for 30-40 years with medical/retirement for 100k in debt, you truly are lucky. Pay your [bleep] off and live a lifestyle almost unparalleled around the world.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,249
Posts18,504,670
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.