Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd appreciate your input on the Sako A II rifles. I don't see much on the internet about these things. I ran across one yesterday, handled it and I really like it. Nice wood stock and smooth action and trigger. Slightly reminding me of the Tikka T3. As I understand it, these are very similar to the older Sako L579. I believe this rifle has the 2 lug system, more like the Tikka, with the same extractor, and probably the same barrel that Tikka uses. This rifle is chambered in 243 Winchester, and has a slightly heavy barrel with no sights. I really like how the rifle feels in the hands. Seems to be of slightly better quality than the Tikka's.

The bore on this one is very copper fouled, but the rifling looks good and sharp. Chamber looks good, as does the throat, with sharp lands, so I think it is going to be a shooter, after I address the copper fouling. The rifle also feels like it needs some glass bedding, so that will also get addressed. I'm curious to tear this rifle apart and see how the recoil lug system is on it. Do they use a recoil lug system like Tikka? When I get the rifle home, I'll find that out for myself, but something I was wondering about.

I probably don't have to ask how these shoot, as I'm sure of the answer I'll get. You can enlighten me though, if you want. The rifle comes with a set of what looks like Millet rings. From what I hear, Millet had a contract with Sako to make rings for them. I don't believe they are the optilocks though.

My plans are to tear this one apart, clean the heck out of it, put a scope on it and shoot it. That way I'll have a baseline for accuracy/precision. If it does not impress, then I'll look at the bedding, and maybe freefloat the barrel.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share about these rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I collected them. Great quality - way better than anything later on. The AII is a proper petite short action with a slim bolt. Extractor is a small claw, the Mauser style rotating extractor is in fact a guide rib. Ejection is via blade at the rear; no plunger. Recoil lug Mauser style, no crppy T3 style.
The trigger is normally an adjustable one for pull, back lash and engagement.
If it’s a ‘classic’ ie straight comb stock then the older ones are cut chequering and have VERY nice wood, the later ones are pressed chequering panels, ho hum wood and generally a lighter profile barrel.
They are generally very accurate esp when bedded

Last edited by OttoG; 02/03/24.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The rings might be the original windage adjustable as. Do they have large thumb wheel adjusters?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The pre Garcia Sako Vixen in 222 is a beautiful little rifle. A light sporter that shoots like a BR gun. When my hunting buddy died from cancer I bought his Vixen from his widow. She worked in a LGS behind the gun counter, so I just asked her how much she wanted for the Vixen and paid her. Not regretted it for a second. It is a great shooting and handling little 222 rifle.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Sako AII chambered in 22-250......I have a Tikka T3x also chambered in 22-250

The Sako is not for sale, the Tikka I would sell for what I have in it.
I believe the Sako A series rifles were made in the late 80's so that's why you dont see many of them anymore (I have an AV also). Yes after the L579
The only thing that I like better about the Tikka is the trigger, you can adjust it to a lighter pull.

btw: I did glass bed mine about 15years ago, I should have done it when I got it

Last edited by boatanchor; 02/03/24.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sako A1 and A2 in the late stocks with red recoil pads, palm swell grips, are some of the best rifles ever made. Condition is everything of course.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Sako AII is an L579 with an enclosed bolt shroud. The L579/AII and the T3 have almost nothing in common. I've owned a ton of L579/AII's and they are one of the best rifles ever made IMHO. The action is scaled down considerably from the larger L61R/AIII/AIV/AV action in outside dimensions, bolt diameter and length.

Last edited by rembo; 02/03/24.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Like boatanchor, I have an AII chambered in 308 and a T3x in 6.5. I’d sell the Tikka tomorrow with the Sako being the last one ever. I like the palm swell and that rifle fits me like a glove

Mine shoots every 150 grain load I have tried well and most great. 165s a little more finicky and sprays most 180s I tried. It does seem to like Federal Premium with 180 Partitions and I used that load to kill an elk and several moose

My hunting buddies always ask me with a chuckle what rifle I plan to bring on a hunt, as if they had to ask. I know I don’t have a 10th of the rifles other here do but I really do love my Sako

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Living Walnut/Blued rifles are Goat Fhuqks,no matter the Make/Model. Hint.

Sako struggles mightily,with twist rate and rather often COAL. Hint.

Though admittedly,I don't gawk at schit,I fhuqking shoot it. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Though admittedly,I don't gawk at schit,I fhuqking shoot it. Hint.................

You heard it right here folks, pig stink says he shoots Schit!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great info guys. I appreciate it!! After I get it, I'll post some pics. My local gun guy, was saving this one for me to look at. The funny thing is I have been looking for a good 243 for a couple years now. I ended up buying one for my girlfriend to hunt with, about 5 months ago. A nice little model 70 compact. But I was still on the lookout for a good 243, for myself. This one is pretty nice. To answer a couple questions that you guys had. It does not have the thumb wheels on the rings. They appear to be millets and adjust for windage. From some research, I found that Millet made rings for these rifles. I'm hoping they work out well. If not, I'll probably just replace them with a good set of rings.

The stock has a gloss finish, with what looks like the original plastic butt plate. No red pad. It is also a montecarlo type, and I believe pressed checkering. It seems like a well made rifle, and it was priced where I'd expect a used Tikka T3x to be. Personally I like the wood stock, over the Tikka plastic stock, and the fact it has a floor plate. After inspecting it, I felt like I'd be kicking myself in the azz if I did not buy it at the price offered to me. Thanks again for your input!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hunting guns don’t get much better. Twisted perfect.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Big Stick

You heard it right here folks, pig stink says he shoots Schit!!!

Well, we've seen his rifles too. Some of us here like looking at them, and shooting them. Some of us also like taking care of their rifles, and keeping them in pristine condition. Most of my rifles are in better condition, than the day I bought them. I also burn up more than my fair share of powder, but that doesn't mean I throw them around, and let them soak in a creek bottom.

Shrap, I also know you like Sako's, but probably the older ones.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Hunting guns don’t get much better. Twisted perfect.

Very nice. Those are Burris rings, aren't they? Thanks for the input..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks. Leupold ringmounts with a small shim between the ring and receiver to clear the objective.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Thanks. Leupold ringmounts with a small shim between the ring and receiver to clear the objective.

Ok. Thanks. I know where a few sets of Leupold/sako rings are in town. If the Millet's don't work, I may look at getting some of those. I was thinking the objective is pretty close to the barrel. What stock is that?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes it’s mounted perfect. That’s a Brown stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like those Brown Precision stocks. I have a couple PoundR's on my pre 64 model 70's.. Thanks for sharing.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The nicest rings are the old Warne Premiers - not to be confused with the current Warne dross

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OttoG
The nicest rings are the old Warne Premiers - not to be confused with the current Warne dross

Thanks otto. I'll look those up. But if they are the vertical split rings, I don't care for those much. I like the sleek look of the Leupolds that remingtonpeters posted. However, the Millet's that are on the rifle look fine too. I plan on running a gloss 3-9x40 on the rifle, so I'll see if the rings that are on it will suffice. Hopefully the height will be fine.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 17 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.