-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just stumbled upon this at a local shop that's been nicely sporterized. Didnt see the bore, but bluing is good and a nice stock.

Factory barrel with matching numbers. No caliber stamp, but presume a 7x57.

Has a matte Leupold 2-7 on it.

Asking price is 450.00.

Figure the scope is worth 175-200.00

Half tempted, definitely don't need it but have been wanting a 7x57.

Opinions?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds cheap. Does it have a trigger upgrade, side safety?
I’m not a 7x57 fan but could become one at that price.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure, don't know much about these older Mauser.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Believe its priced the way it is, is because the tag says caliber unknown.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
At that price I’d have looked down the bore and, if it wasn’t obviously trashed, offered $400 and taken it home even for $450. Easy enough to see if the bore is 7mm. A fired 7x57 case and some Prussian blue would give a pretty good idea of whether the chamber was 7x57 and, if not, a chamber cast would tell for sure what it was.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Chilean Mausers were originally chambered in 7x57 and made by Ludwig Lowe DWM. I think that that they were very well made and are the second best of the small ring military Mausers, falling below just the Sweds in all aspects. If you don't like the cock of closing feature, the Dayton Traister cock on opening kit is an easy job for a 'smith to install for you.

That said, it is still an old rifle with an unknown history, so it would probably not be prudent to shoot hot loads in it. Stick to the recommended loads and have fun with it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They were well built Mausers. Any value was destroyed being drilled and tapped for a scope. Might be fun to shoot that way but not really worth much except for the scope.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Chilean Mausers were originally chambered in 7x57 and made by Ludwig Lowe DWM. I think that that they were very well made and are the second best of the small ring military Mausers, falling below just the Sweds in all aspects. If you don't like the cock of closing feature, the Dayton Traister cock on opening kit is an easy job for a 'smith to install for you.

That said, it is still an old rifle with an unknown history, so it would probably not be prudent to shoot hot loads in it. Stick to the recommended loads and have fun with it.
Agree. The Chilean is the second best (most demand) small ring Mauser right after the Swede. The Chilean Mauser bolts will work in almost every small ring. Since they are round and don't have the squared off bottom they seem to get removed and used in the custom Spanish and Mexican Mausers. There is the assumption they are made from better steel as well since they were made in Germany.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
All Model 95 Mausers had round bolts at the face. All Model 93s had the square edge at bottom of the bolt face; however, the Chilean M95s all have a locking lug-type recess in the receiver to fit the base of the bolt handle to help contain the bolt in place, preventing rearward displacement (into the shooter's face) incase of a catastrophic event that sheared the front bolt lugs, etc. In addition they have a solid left side wall (without the 'thumb' notch) similar to commercial 98 actions. All Chilean M95s were made by Lowe - Berlin, which speaks for the quality of build, fit, steel, and consistent heat treat - in my opinion they were finished better than any military Mausers before or since.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 02/03/24.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My hat's off to all those of us here of 'crystal ball clarity' in postulating value with so many unknowns. Available info only of a 95 Lowe Chilean mauser, sporterized with D&T and scope info. The fact of O/P summary as "nicely sporterized" without more, he's absolutely best positioned to objectively value the rifle! For the rest of us to assist... Where are all the other details and, all considered, 'the pix'! No info as to 'bobbed' original stock or aftermarket commercial; barrel length; iron sights - as original or 'other'. The 'chambering unknown' tag may just be customary seller disclaimer or such portending custom chambering. The point of my short - hopefully taken as friendly - rant, the term "rush to judgement...!"

What we do know is that despite the quality of these Lowe rifles genre, as modified simply wild cards! The mix of "old & new" as rifle & scope, to me, not conjuring a happy mix. Quite possible, particularly in 7mm Mauser, yet very functional & useful shooter. Beyond... "Beauty in the eye of the beholder".

Sorry if stepping on toes, but believing my viewpoint here, the "realistic take"!
Best!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 907brass, 338Rules, 16penny, 20 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,049
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.