-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuff becomes collectable because it wasn't common or popular, or, simply because it's rare.

Trying to guess what will appreciate in value is a sucker's bet IMO. Even stuff that goes up in value doesn't keep up with inflation, machine guns excluded, for obvious reasons.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
#1 secret to collectable is not being available.

Everybody wants what everybody wants.

Sig releases the 365 to good reviews.
It sells and you can't find them.
Everyphugginbody wants one.

Roger makes an ugly, [bleep] stocked rifle.
They sell well, cool factor....new, then don't.
CDNN gets them and blows them out...cheap.
After a bit folks realize they can't be bought new, the folks who weren't buying them new, and now they hunt them like ruby filled pussy.

Look at most highly sought guns. The ones that bring stupid money.
Common models, in weird configurations or calibers that didn't sell well.
No one wanted the freaks.
Until they are unavailable.
6mm, 257 Robert's, 760s in 222, M-7 in 22-250...

At a gun show yesterday, Dad looking at Colt Sauers.
Wanting to buy a few more.
But, the gun shows are full of plastic, black paint, tactical.

"You know Dad, I wonder about the value of nice guns in the future. Your generation is
declining, mine is soon to start. The young ones now aren't interested in blue and walnut. Some will be, but will the supply coming on out pace demand until a good gun isn't worth much more than a new Savage Axis?"

3/4 haven't read this far.
I've pissed them off.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
#1 secret to collectable is not being available.

Everybody wants what everybody wants.

Sig releases the 365 to good reviews.
It sells and you can't find them.
Everyphugginbody wants one.

Roger makes an ugly, [bleep] stocked rifle.
They sell well, cool factor....new, then don't.
CDNN gets them and blows them out...cheap.
After a bit folks realize they can't be bought new, the folks who weren't buying them new, and now they hunt them like ruby filled pussy.

Look at most highly sought guns. The ones that bring stupid money.
Common models, in weird configurations or calibers that didn't sell well.
No one wanted the freaks.
Until they are unavailable.
6mm, 257 Robert's, 760s in 222, M-7 in 22-250...

At a gun show yesterday, Dad looking at Colt Sauers.
Wanting to buy a few more.
But, the gun shows are full of plastic, black paint, tactical.

"You know Dad, I wonder about the value of nice guns in the future. Your generation is
declining, mine is soon to start. The young ones now aren't interested in blue and walnut. Some will be, but will the supply coming on out pace demand until a good gun isn't worth much more than a new Savage Axis?"

3/4 haven't read this far.
I've pissed them off.

I LOL'd at the "freaks." One thing to consider, though, is that some folks couldn't buy them new because they weren't old enough. I came along just in time for a lot of stuff I think is really cool to be unavailable. If I'd been 10-15 years older, could have snagged them at much better prices.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven’t met a gun collector that has got rich collecting guns.
They are a hobby, not an investment.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Yea I wasn't really thinking about appreciation in terms of financial gain... I was mostly thinking about stuff I'll wish I'd stockpiled for my kids in 30-40 years because it's cool/fun/nice.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hear you. It’s hard to anticipate what the future generations wants. A lot of what is sold now is expensive junk. The younger gen would rather walk into a box store, or add to cart than a take a chance on old stuff at a gun show. Life is expensive, wages just keeping heads above water. Collectables are way down the list.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Gents,

I was thinking about this the other day and am curious how y'all would answer: what is a common rifle today (being produced new, not hard to find, not considered rare, etc.) that you think will be considered collectible in 30-40 years. Put another way, what is a rifle in 30-40 years that we'll look back on and say "dammit I should have bought X number of those when they were easy to find!"

This obviously precludes Pre-64s, JM Marlins, rare Ruger #1s, etc., and other things that are *already* harder to find and/or expensive...

This is all dependant upon current trends and biases being continued by the future maturity of todays youth. Quite an expectation.

Model 70's made in the US would be a possibility as would military rifles both bolt and semi auto.
Lever rifles are deemed utility/tools by many so JM.will likely blend into Ruglins and Remlins will be both forgotten and absorbed into old Marlins as long as they are well made, ie not crooked sights or obvious defects. I have one made in Nov '19 and it is near perfect and certainly as good as any JM I owned, reviewed or used, since the .45/70 was reintroduced in 1971.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
anything wood and blued steel.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think the Howa Minis may actually have some upside long term. Most mini actions haven’t been great sellers while in production but stop making them and all of a sudden they turn to gold. Who doesn’t like a cute little rifle?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Kimbers and Ruger #1's. With three sons, all shooters/hunters two handloaders, they already appreciate the ones I own.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are freaks. Mostly, and it’s not opinion.

The 6mm is a great round, better than some more popular. But it’s always been the oddball.

222 in a 760?
More recent, 10mm in a Super Redhawk.
Look for that one to be sought for by collectors
eventually. How many howitzer size guns can you sell shooting small(er) rounds. I considered buying 2 of those as an investment.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by goalie
Stuff becomes collectable because it wasn't common or popular, or, simply because it's rare.

Trying to guess what will appreciate in value is a sucker's bet IMO. Even stuff that goes up in value doesn't keep up with inflation, machine guns excluded, for obvious reasons.

You are so wrong, sorry. Condition, condition, condition.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Not to worry, gents. I've got a rifle looney in training. Not even in grade school yet but in about 20 years, he'll be happy to scoop up all of your lever and bolt guns with walnut furniture that no one else wants!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never buy with future collectability in mind, only what I like and does what I need. Nice ones are preferred, provided they work well. I find it hard to believe that anything polymer will ever be collectible in the same way old Winchesters etc. are, but there is that segment that likes having every variation made of whatever they collect, so who knows? Those sorts will have a tough time securing all the permutations of say Glocks, which just keep on appearing like circus clowns from a mini car. There will always be a demand for good stuff, simply because it’s good, but that’s not collectibility, it’s value. Right now, the trend is away from classics like 98s, M70s, 94s etc. that were carefully manufactured to function perfectly, and towards inexpensive stuff that is often more of a gun kit than a finished product. Newer shooters seem to be somewhat inured to that, maybe because they’re so used to modern gadgets that kinda-sorta work as advertised, need constant software fixes, and get tossed when something new comes along.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Look at the Remington Model Seven Predator for example. 2-3 years ago you could buy them in 223, 22-250, and 243 all day for $429 on Gunbroker. They bring a grand now. Supply and demand, take away the supply then you have the demand. Not to mention the ugly little AAC Model Seven in 300 blackout. Look at those ridiculous prices.

Last edited by Showdog75; 02/04/24.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
About any well made walnut blued rifle. Especially ones in less common calibers available today. Those will be the first to go.

GreggH

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ken_L
I think the Kimber Montana’s, Mountain Ascent etc. will be collectible over the years. Especially the calibers they no longer offer.

Lol lol

I hope zero rifles are "collectable" with the passing of the boomer generation. Maybe people will just "use" their rifles instead of "collect" them. I hope the "it's too pretty to use" bulls hit dies with the fudds...

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/04/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by slm9s
I'm skeptical on lever guns. Each year, a percentage of lever gun fans die and not very many youngsters replace them.
Judging by the number of new lever guns introduced this year, they must be more popular than you think. At least S&W, Ruger/Marlin, Winchester, Henry and Heritage must think so as they all brought out new lever guns this year.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
CZ527 and 452

Or even CZ 600s and 550s Any CZ with wood on it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
D
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Yea I wasn't really thinking about appreciation in terms of financial gain... I was mostly thinking about stuff I'll wish I'd stockpiled for my kids in 30-40 years because it's cool/fun/nice.

I’ve been buying things not so much that may be collectible as much as what I want to pass on to grandkids from my childhood. If they’re valuable later in life great that’s just an added bonus.

As a young man I recall the tables at gun shows with snake guns no one wanted. Who’d of thought it would go like it did, same for the pre lock Smiths. Heck I had a cheap Nylon 66 in brown that was part of a trade deal I couldn’t give away at the time only to sell like it was a a one of one at a local gun show before I could get in the door. All this was way before the internet and smart phones changed the scene.

At this point in my life I’m buying what I like, or couldn’t afford back when they came out. Sadly I’ve found that what I thought was collectible or the had to have back then really wasn’t that great after all! It’s all about what you like. The quote of never meeting a collector that got rich from guns holds truth.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.