Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Never cared for this flashlight through the lense, piece of paper bllsht. It's as worthless as paper specs.

My method of measuring "eye relief":

Eye relief is unique to each individual shooter. If you're going to get an injury from the riflescope, itll be from the top surface of the ocular housing. It's gonna hit your eyebrow, bridge of your nose, or slightly above your eye brow, low on the forehead.

So the physical distance that the top surface of the ocular housing is from my face, reigns supreme.

On the leupold 2.5x ultralight, on my rifle, where I get a full field of view in the scope, the ocular housing is 4" away from my eyebrow. This measurement is the only one that matters. No biggie to have somebody take this measurement for yah, as you shoulder the rifle.

On hard recoiling lightweight rifles, like my 416 ruger it's reassuring.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I manage to forget correct eye relief when shooting steep uphill shots from contorted positions. The blood in your eye makes follow up shot challenging.[grin[

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Mike, I've only ever had a scope love-touch my face once. It was a leupold 1.5-5. The little rubber ocular protector was torn, but wasn't enough force to hurt me.

Just as you said: some weird, seated field position on a steep hill, trying to get a steady shot at a bull moose about 500 yds away.

This rifle was light, a cz 550 kevlar carbine in 9.3x62 shooting a feisty handload of 300 grain swift a-frames over 64 grains of MR 2000.

It's these bizarre field positions that we must do, in a split second, to seal the deal.

Since then, I've always been curious about how far a scope is from my face on these light-weight, heavy-recoiling rifles we Alaskans tend to shoot.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I measure from the scope body that will thump you. Look forward to what you find. I guarantee it won't be near 4" at any power.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The older scopes, without a rubber ring on the ocular are the killer. My wife and I took another couple to camp for the weekend and the wife had a .243

One morning she jumped out of the truck to shoot a jackrabbit and was awkwardly using the open door as a rest. Recoil filleted a perfect half moon on her brow, that the local clinic stitched up. What was funny, was it was a small town and everywhere we went, every female would look at her, while pointing at her brow, they'd utter a one word question. "Scope?"

Last edited by gsganzer; 02/04/24.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Geeze, poor gal. Did it heal up ok?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ol' Magnum Eyebrow. I've experienced it a couple times, mostly weird angles. I shot a bear in Canada one year with my vanilla 280 Rem. Ackward angle at the shot. I didn't feel it hit me but as I walked up to the bear, I noticed my neck was warm. I wiped it and my hand came back bloody. Got wacked pretty good. I went back to camp as is. When I walked in the door the look on everyone's face was priceless. I told them I shot a bear and when I got up to it it jumped up and took a swipe at me. Of course it took 5 secs for people to realize is was scope bite. We still laugh at that.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My late uncle’s deer gun was a 20” Ithaca Deerslayer with a K4 (dot reticle) in Weaver Pivot mounts. Scopes on shotguns were a radical idea in those days and lots of people wanted to try it out. As his son says, that scope has a lot of DNA on it….

I’ve been hit, but so far never cut.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You could take 1 shot with the scope against your brow and measure the depth of the cut.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bwinters: Never heard "it" referred to as "magnum eyebrow" (although that may be appropriate?) I always heard it referred to as "Weatherby eyebrow".
I have only suffered that indignity twice over my 60+ year long stint of centerfire Rifle shooting.
Had to pick a "Weatherby eyebrow" blood icicle off of my cheek one wintry/blizzardly day in Wyoming - got some powder snow between the buttplate of my pre-64 Model 70 Winchester (30/06) and my shoulder. Firing from the prone position, that one nearly knocked me out!
Lessons learned - I hope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Geeze, poor gal. Did it heal up ok?

She did. We got it stitched up on our way to Fredericksburg TX for the day and returned to the blind in the evening. We still chuckle about it, but it was a good gash for sure.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's a quote from the guy who helped developed the flashlight method, but was not the first to use it, published a number of years ago:

"Switch on a small flashlight, and gently place the front end against the objective lens of the scope. Hold some flat object about three inches behind the eyepiece. A dot of light will be 'projected' on the object. This is the exit pupil of the scope. Move the object until the dot's as small and sharp as possible, and the distance from the rear of the scope to the object is the eye relief."

Please note that the author said "the rear of the scope," not the rear lens. Which obviously means the eyepiece.

The advantages of this method are that it can measure the "eyebrow distance" without anybody else's help--and it also precisely measures eye relief when a variable scope is set on various magnifications. This often differs somewhat, even in scopes advertised as having "constant eye relief."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here's a quote from the guy who helped developed the flashlight method, but was not the first to use it, published a number of years ago:

"Switch on a small flashlight, and gently place the front end against the objective lens of the scope. Hold some flat object about three inches behind the eyepiece. A dot of light will be 'projected' on the object. This is the exit pupil of the scope. Move the object until the dot's as small and sharp as possible, and the distance from the rear of the scope to the object is the eye relief."

Please note that the author said "the rear of the scope," not the rear lens. Which obviously means the eyepiece.

The advantages of this method are that it can measure the "eyebrow distance" without anybody else's help--and it also precisely measures eye relief when a variable scope is set on various magnifications. This often differs somewhat, even in scopes advertised as having "constant eye relief."

Bingo. Just measured a Trijicon 3-9X Huron a couple of hours ago. Pretty close to their specs. Probably doesn't work in Alaska...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
John, give me a fkn break. Where a scope renders a clear field of view to a shooter's eye, in relation to the the physical distance from a given shooter's eyebrow, is different for every shooter.

EDM, calm yer fkn hormones bud.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/06/24.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pure comedy. Write what you measure...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Pure comedy. Write what you measure...

I don't understand what would be so funny about knowing how far away a scope is from your eyebrow, on a heavy recoiling rifle?

I can guarantee you, it's more exact, than this paper/flashlight bllsht. Obviously the naked eye, and the eyebrow aren't at the same depth.

Try it out.......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One way to get a measurement...

- Wrap the rear scope lens housing with a tube of paper or manilla folder about 5+ inches long
- Cut a narrow long "window" into the tube (~1/8 -1/4" wide x 1-2" long with the middle of the window at 3" from the end of the scope.
- Wrap it with a rubber band to loosely secure the tube's position Put your eye brow bone on the end of the tube and move it in or out under you get a full image in the rear lens.
- Measure the distance from the end of the tube, to the end of the scope (through the "window".)
- Get measurements in normal offhand position, and " off the bench" position. It will reveal how much you crawl into the scope with your head/neck.

We would call the brow cut, "scope eye."

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Never cared for this flashlight through the lense, piece of paper bllsht. It's as worthless as paper specs.

Eye relief is unique to each individual shooter. If you're going to get an injury from the riflescope, itll be from the top surface of the ocular housing. It's gonna hit your eyebrow, bridge of your nose, or slightly above your eye brow, low on the forehead.

So the physical distance that the top surface of the ocular housing is from my face, reigns supreme.

On the leupold 2.5x ultralight, on my rifle, where I get a full field of view in the scope, the ocular housing is 4" away from my eyebrow. This measurement is the only one that matters. No biggie to have somebody take this measurement for yah, as you shoulder the rifle.

This is a nice thread. Very helpful, thanks for sharing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Col Jeff Cooper's name for being hit by scope: Kaibab eye

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by saturngod

This is a nice thread. Very helpful, thanks for sharing.

No problem. Taking blows to the face from a boxer is nothing. We army gorrillas knocked the sht out of each other in boxing matches, to resolve arguments, so we wouldn't end up in Leavenworth (military prison).

BUT, you take a metal riflescope to a critical spot on your face, from a hard recoiling rifle, not good.

I have taken a blow to that area of my face, in a fall off a roof when a sniper took a pop shot at me. It wasn't graceful. I caught the bridge of my nose off the sharp edge of an air conditioning unit at ground level.

Theres a little flap of membrane behind bridge of your nose that holds back your spinal/brain fluid that cushions your brain. All that fluid came gushing out of my fkn nose.

3 Shoemakers and 1 washed up, frost-bitten prick, can't be wrong about the joys of 2.5x ultralight on a hard recoiling lightweight rifle..........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/08/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 21 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.