Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I think it was 1994, December after Christmas. Here in Pennsyltucky, we got 16” of snow, and then the wind kicked in.
The power was out for 4 days in our area, up to 8 in other parts of the state.
Carol & I and Ben, Dave and Grace and 3 kids had to move into The Old Man’s 36x42 garage, as it had a good coal stove.
Slept on cots, or what we could make. Coleman lanterns for light. Mom was shut in the house, with a kerosene heater.
No water, Dad, Dave and I took a few 5 gallon cans up on the mountain, above any houses, to get water. We also took my .308, and snagged a deer.
Not something I’d wanna do every year, But we got through. Fresh deer steak on a Coleman stove is pretty good!
Like Hank said, a Country Boy can survive.
If the SHTF, which is likely to happen, the Rednecks will come out ok.
Others probably not so much.’
But that’s ok in my book, because this nation was built on folks like us. The ones that are clinging to our God and our guns!
Reon

It took me a day to get home from Winchester in that storm.
Coming up 522 they closed it, I-81 and the Turnpike were closed too.
So I slept until 5 at by the Sheetz on 37.
Got up and was told 522 had one lane open.
It was fun! Tried to get fuel on top of Town Hill, just before it was too late I saw that the truck stop was parked full from the entrance ramps onto the highway through the pumps and out to the exit ramps. Got back on 70. Going up the hill before Breezewood, traffic stopped. And I had to. 7k# in the wagon, I couldn't get going.
Almost no traffic, I decided to back down the hill until I could get going forward again.
Between spinning and melting, I was sunk into the snow enough that I couldn't even go downhill! Sat there 7 hours! On the interstate, one of 3 stuck trucks!
Penn Dot was plowing, out of Breezewood only. I watched the #%^&#!!*&&$#@##!ers
plow East, than come back plowing Westbound on the Eastbound side.
The first trucks to plow west plowed me out, then shoveled cinders under my tires.
When I got to Breezewood it was parked full. Anywhere a truck could park,on had.
Nothing could move, I guess that's why they only plowed the roads out.

24 hours after I picked up in Berryville in parked at Shaw Mack.

If my memory is right, that was a hell of a winter.
It snowed every weekend, I felt like I lived in a snow storm.
No matter where I went North of Alabama, it was snowing.
25, 4 years under my belt, I enjoyed the heck out of it.
Unless stuck behind a wreck.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Amazon sells solar lanterns. I bought a pack of 4 and put them on a window sill along with a solar charging radio and a solar USB charger.

When the lights go off, we just pull these out and have enough light for a fairly normal life.

I've got all sorts of other solutions, but that's the one we've found that's cheap and works.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We have about a dozen rechargeable LED light bullbs, look like a normal 60 watt light bulb with a small hook for hanging, controlled by a little remote. Last about 3 to 5 hours of continuous use, depending on brightness setting. Can hang them wherever you need light. We use them for tent camping as well.

Price is reasonable. They hold a charge well when not in use.

Last edited by Oldidaho; 02/05/24.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have 2 of the old time kerosene lamps. They burn for many hours on a single charge of lamp oil.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In my life time, I think the longest the power was out was 2 days. We had a generator for that.

99.999% of the interruptions are less than an hour. Don't really use anything. I'm from the midwest - if the storm's good enough to knock out the power, its good enough to sit in a bag chair in the garage with beers - watching it.

Me

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Generator.. Failing that, candles do nicely..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Always have several head lamps and small flashlights stashed around the house, for the power outages. Until two years ago when I had a 20kw Kohler stand by and auto transfer switch installed. Now 6-8 seconds after the power goes out, we are back to life as normal.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kerosene lamps and flashlights, if the power outage lasts too long, we just move to the camper until the power comes back on.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by killerv; 02/05/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 160user
I just light a pile of Model 70 stocks on fire for light.
Surely not pre 64!

IC B3

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Here in northern ND our power has never failed long enough to cause a problem. We don’t have ice storms like down south. Trees crashing into power lines is also not a problem. I’m alright with that. Edk

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Just that. It’s very stormy/windy in Northern California now and the power just shut off but came back on. I use my propane lantern sometimes. I had a Coleman battery lantern but I’d did not last long. Candles don’t last. I have a jump/start battery pack . Would be nice if someone made a lantern I could plug the battery pack into. Alan
Candles do just fine. So do oil lamps. And propane lanterns. And there is the generator.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
10K watt duel fuel back-up generator

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have a 5 watt Harbor Freight solar panel.

Some day I hope to upgrade to it's big 10 watt brother.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
When we bought our 1st 40 acres there was an ice storm that year and the line right in front of the entrance was down for close to 3 weeks. The electric guys focused on KC and the surrounding towns so a road with 4 houses was a "get around to it".

In town we went without electricity for close to a week and a half.

After that experience, when we had our house built I had a Generac 20KW standby generator with it's own 500 gallon propane tank installed. Now the lights go out and in a few seconds they come back on. the 20KW powers the whole house to include the geothermal unit, so no worries.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by killerv

Nice bunch of Coleman lanterns.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I’m way more concerned about my 5 freezer that being able to see in the dark

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cotis
32kw Generac turbo 4 cylinder commercial generator. Previously we relied on a bunch of 18650 fed rechargeable flashlights from Amazon called ThorFires. They are $20 flashlights with adjustable output, used to place one facing up on the kitchen island and it would light the room.

No we don’t worry about much, just wait a minute and all the lights come back on!

I have the same model and it works wonderfully. The power usually is stable here but it will go out during strong thunderstorms in the summer and was out three days last winter after a heavy snow storm.

Biggest reason to get it was that Nevada Energy has been threatening to go full PG&E and shut the power off during red flag days in the summer.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Solar powered flashlight

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I sit in the dark and enjoy the peace and quiet!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.