Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
I haven’t met a gun collector that has got rich collecting guns.
They are a hobby, not an investment.
Yea I wasn't really thinking about appreciation in terms of financial gain... I was mostly thinking about stuff I'll wish I'd stockpiled for my kids in 30-40 years because it's cool/fun/nice.

I'll be putting together a nice walnut/blue M70 for my son to get the day he becomes a father. Too often "dad" is forgotten when that happens. To a degree, rightfully so but for the next 18 years - he's probably the one asked to make the most sacrifices to provide for baby and mom so I want to give him something special that I know he can't/wont do for himself.

Me

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Original Remington Mountain Rifles, Original Rem Classics, Rem 7, "Winchester", Ruger 77, Especially Hawkeye, "JM".

The most collectable are those the least manufactured or desired when they were made.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by GeoW
Original Remington Mountain Rifles, Original Rem Classics, Rem 7, "Winchester", Ruger 77, Especially Hawkeye, "JM".

The most collectable are those the least manufactured or desired when they were made.

A lot of truth to the last part of that statement - look at some of the older rifles - anything in .30-06 is typically the least desired nowadays while the odd chamberings command premiums. Things like Ruger’s new Super Redhawk in .22 Hornet will likely be sought after in 20-30 years - unless there is a market I’m not seeing? Made some good “investments” with odd balls over the years.

PennDog

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Guns are like art - buy what you like and appreciate it.
If you are looking for investments there are better places to put money into than either of those items unless you are lucky.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Coopers
Kimbers
Model 70 Winchesters
#1 and #3 Rugers

I don't see the plastic stocked bargain basement bolt guns and AR15s Bubba built in his garage gaining a lot of traction.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DrHuesman
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I haven’t met a gun collector that has got rich collecting guns.
They are a hobby, not an investment.
Yea I wasn't really thinking about appreciation in terms of financial gain... I was mostly thinking about stuff I'll wish I'd stockpiled for my kids in 30-40 years because it's cool/fun/nice.

I’ve been buying things not so much that may be collectible as much as what I want to pass on to grandkids from my childhood. If they’re valuable later in life great that’s just an added bonus.

As a young man I recall the tables at gun shows with snake guns no one wanted. Who’d of thought it would go like it did, same for the pre lock Smiths. Heck I had a cheap Nylon 66 in brown that was part of a trade deal I couldn’t give away at the time only to sell like it was a a one of one at a local gun show before I could get in the door. All this was way before the internet and smart phones changed the scene.

At this point in my life I’m buying what I like, or couldn’t afford back when they came out. Sadly I’ve found that what I thought was collectible or the had to have back then really wasn’t that great after all! It’s all about what you like. The quote of never meeting a collector that got rich from guns holds truth.

This seem consistent with what I have observed.

"Rich" is in the eye of the beholder and many here understand that. "Rich" for me is pursuing a hobby that I truly enjoy (probably from genetics as well as environment), not bankrupting my other responsibilities to family, retirement planning, etc., and ensuring (to the best of my ability) that future generations, close to me or even not, can have an opportunity to enjoy a "good" thing from the past.
"Smart" buying does not guarantee that outcome but at least makes it "possible". Other forces are out of our control at some level. A "balanced" portfolio is a smart thing in an uncertain environment which applies to almost everything. I have sold plenty of firearms that just did not inspire me (rich?) that have become quite collectable since (rich?) and probably should not have been sold based on that one parameter... common thread on the 'fire for a reason.

One of the guys I have seen at some of our local "shows" who has some of the nicest, more "collectible", valuable items on his table just happens to be the same guy who puts on the shows and profits from all the attendees entrance fees. He collects and profits! He enjoys it. Not even sure he shoots or hunts that much but I don't know that for sure. He has turned collecting into profiting for himself obviously but he travels, organizes, lives out of a suitcase, etc. and has for some time. Lots of different strategies and "rewards" out there! Thank goodness for freedoms... for now anyway.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by drover
Guns are like art - buy what you like and appreciate it.
If you are looking for investments there are better places to put money into than either of those items unless you are lucky.

drover

And if you like and enjoy it, there is a better chance others will desire it in the future.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I see lots of estates getting blown out for 50 cent dollars. They would have been more rich if they hadn’t died.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I see lots of estates getting blown out for 50 cent dollars. They would have been more rich if they hadn’t died.

Opposite here. Recent private estate of 117 guns brought $143,000. Mixed through that was your typical old beat up single shot 22's and shotguns that only brought $75-$150, so the other stuff brought real good money.

I doubt that old gent had a clue his collection of guns would bring that kind of money. It was primarily guns that would've never been high dollar when he bought them. quite a few 760's, some 7600's, a few model 6's, Remington 870 wingmasters that some brought surprisingly high prices, some older Model 7's, some hard to get Model 14's, etc.

Not a single so called high dollar gun like a Sako, not even any M700's or Winchester M70's, all lower tiered guns so to speak. I guarantee that old boy made some money.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Canada doesn’t quite have the gun culture the US has. And the used prices here represent that.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Canada doesn’t quite have the gun culture the US has. And the used prices here represent that.

I have no clue of the future, who knows what laws and the market will look like. But, based on everything I've seen here as a steady trend for 15 + yrs since just prior to Obama, were I to sell out, I'd be WAY ahead of the game.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
European rifles in real blued steel.
The disposal cost is so high because of the BS environmental regulations that true blued guns are being priced out of existence.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
One I’ve thought was odd and will become rare rare if it isn’t from day 1 is the Ruger Hawkeye hunter in .204.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I suspect modern, new manufactured Win 70s will be somewhat collectible as they are hard to find right now. I also suspect several brands of ARs, especially high quality ones will be desirable, since they're the guns that all the 'old' people (in 30+ years) were brought up with, much like baby boomers love the Pre-64s of their youth. If AR manufacturing is ever so severely regulated that they may as well be banned, hopefully today's ARs would be grandfathered in, and I suspect they'd bring a premium. I wonder if any specific cartridge, regardless of which rifle would be desirable?

Anything Tikka, Begera, (new) Savage and maybe even Christiansen (since they're so readily available) I suspect won't be collectible at all.

I wish I had bought all the old Ruger 77 Zytel stocked rifles that I could find...

Back in the 90's, those boat paddle rugers were very easy to find. Generally costing around $369.99. The Browning POS model 70 will never be "collectible".

Generally I would agree, but I think the AAA French Super Grades might.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I suspect modern, new manufactured Win 70s will be somewhat collectible as they are hard to find right now. I also suspect several brands of ARs, especially high quality ones will be desirable, since they're the guns that all the 'old' people (in 30+ years) were brought up with, much like baby boomers love the Pre-64s of their youth. If AR manufacturing is ever so severely regulated that they may as well be banned, hopefully today's ARs would be grandfathered in, and I suspect they'd bring a premium. I wonder if any specific cartridge, regardless of which rifle would be desirable?

Anything Tikka, Begera, (new) Savage and maybe even Christiansen (since they're so readily available) I suspect won't be collectible at all.

I wish I had bought all the old Ruger 77 Zytel stocked rifles that I could find...

Back in the 90's, those boat paddle rugers were very easy to find. Generally costing around $369.99. The Browning POS model 70 will never be "collectible".

I doubt it. If any of you all have any, let me know and I'll take them at a discount so you don't need to look at them loosing value in your safe whistle

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by beretzs

I doubt it. If any of you all have any, let me know and I'll take them at a discount so you don't need to look at them loosing value in your safe whistle

You're a good man and friend Scott.

God bless you.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

You're a good man and friend Scott.

God bless you.

I try to pull my weight for humanity.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
No rifle that is currently mass produced will ever be a true “collectible”

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lost track of this thread, forgot I had even posted in it.

Another thought along my previous comment about younger generations
not being interested in "Our" classics.

Born in 69, a gun nut since I was single digits.
I very well, remember the obsession with Model 88s and Model 12s.

Seeing them bring $600 or more, in early 1980s dollars.
Lotta Model 12s aren't bringing much over that, in today's worthless money.
Model 88s have come close to meeting inflation.

SKSs, AK-47s have skyrocketed from their early 90s costs.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Poconojack
No rifle that is currently mass produced will ever be a true “collectible”

Probably, but some will remain very desirable because they work and shoot well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 63 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,683
Posts18,475,018
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.