S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
What are you using?

Let’s see some pics.

Phone scope/Meopta S2. The Phone Scope got bounced off a rock, wasn’t impressed.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Meopta S2/Novagrade. Like it, but it’s bulky and heavy.

Kowa 77/Magview. Really liking the Magview.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pics! That S2 is hard to beat. This is through a 65mm Athlon Ares UHD.....

Cropped S2 pic.....

S2......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The S2 is a great scope. I settled on the Kowa for the dual focus. Feels like I can get a little better focus when digiscoping.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That mountain lion pic is badass. NM?

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks. Yes, NM.

Unfortunately, due to operator error it lived to see another day.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ha! I've never seen one alive. Sure would like to.

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Watched the tail end of the lion getting this fawn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish I got into this years ago. I have quite a few pics by just holding my camera/phone up to my spotter's lens but wish I had the right equipment like the MagView earlier.

I may drag my spotter along tomorrow checking traps and get some shots if I see any caribou or anything else worthy.

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Me too. Would really like to have some pics of stuff from years before I started playing around with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

can't find my elk pics so heres one of the windfarm across the hiway

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
That’s a neat pic hunts’. Swaro?

Nice deer.

A cropped hold the phone up to the spotter. That was actually 15’s, not a spotter.

Last edited by SLM; 02/06/24.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SLM
Kowa 77/Magview. Really liking the Magview.

What do you like about the Magview vs. a phoneskope? I don't really have any complaints about the Phoneskope but I've never used or seen the magview in the field so I don't know, what I don't know.

Thanks in advance for a compare/contrast.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
There wasn’t much I liked about the Phonescope, this was 4/5 years ago so maybe things have changed/gotten better? I could not keep the phone flat in landscape, it would always slowly slide down towards portrait. I called Phoneskope and asked them about it and they suggested a couple wraps of electric tape on the ocular. The ocular cap then was a pain to get on and off. This was on a Meopta S2.

I always had to wiggle the phone/adapter to get the picture centered, but would lose it once the phone started sliding towards portrait and would have to start all over.

I also didn’t like having to either put the adapter on the phone every time I wanted to use it, or carry the phone in the pack cause it wouldn’t fit in my pocket all put together.

The Nova Grade worked really well, but was big and bulky. With the Novagrade, I’d have to put whatever I was looking at towards the top of the image before putting on the Novagrade cause the spotter would always settle once I got it put on no matter how hard I locked down the VA5. The plus is, you don't have to have a special phone case and it’s super easy to adjust if someone else uses it with a different phone or case.

The MagView for me is the best I’ve used so far. No special phone case, if you get a new phone or case, you just replace the glue on plate to the back. With the MagView app, there is a grid with a small dot that you center over the view, and the magnet on the eyepiece pulls it into place. After a few times, it’s super easy to line up. It’s also real easy to adjust if you’re off a bit. I don’t have to re adjust the spotter very often after putting the phone on it. The adapter that stays on the scope acts as a great lens cover, but it does make it less comfortable to use without the phone.

Would be interested to hear others opinions on what they are using.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool guys!

Maybe now that I’m not buying any more guns (honest Honey!), I should invest in a spotter and do this stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SLM
There wasn’t much I liked about the Phonescope, this was 4/5 years ago so maybe things have changed/gotten better? I could not keep the phone flat in landscape, it would always slowly slide down towards portrait. I called Phoneskope and asked them about it and they suggested a couple wraps of electric tape on the ocular. The ocular cap then was a pain to get on and off. This was on a Meopta S2.

I always had to wiggle the phone/adapter to get the picture centered, but would lose it once the phone started sliding towards portrait and would have to start all over.

I also didn’t like having to either put the adapter on the phone every time I wanted to use it, or carry the phone in the pack cause it wouldn’t fit in my pocket all put together.

The Nova Grade worked really well, but was big and bulky. With the Novagrade, I’d have to put whatever I was looking at towards the top of the image before putting on the Novagrade cause the spotter would always settle once I got it put on no matter how hard I locked down the VA5. The plus is, you don't have to have a special phone case and it’s super easy to adjust if someone else uses it with a different phone or case.

The MagView for me is the best I’ve used so far. No special phone case, if you get a new phone or case, you just replace the glue on plate to the back. With the MagView app, there is a grid with a small dot that you center over the view, and the magnet on the eyepiece pulls it into place. After a few times, it’s super easy to line up. It’s also real easy to adjust if you’re off a bit. I don’t have to re adjust the spotter very often after putting the phone on it. The adapter that stays on the scope acts as a great lens cover, but it does make it less comfortable to use without the phone.

Thanks for the review.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Thanks SLM

I had the same problems with the old phonescope and haven’t bought anything since. I’ve been holding the phone to the eyepiece and snapping pics, which basically sucks

The Mag view seems like a quantum leap forward

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m bored on zoom meetings. There’s 3 bulls in the pic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a novagrade a hunter gave me. I've never used it. phonescope is easier. Maybe I'll get it out and play with it......

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Usually through my 15s handheld with a dirty ass phone. And usually I have to delete stuff to make room for the pics I want to take. I need to get my schidt together.

Some of my faves of different critters.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.