Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Make a marinade with soy sauce and brown sugar. Add what you like. I usually do garlic, black pepper, onion powder, and sometimes shredded ginger root. It is best to just use what you have and make the ratios the way you like it. The key is soy sauce and brown sugar as the base.

Marinade steaks or sliced backstraps for a few hours and grill to medium rare. If you want to go really crazy wrap in bacon then grill until bacon is done. Experiment some. You can’t mess this up unless you overcook it.

I like venison a million ways, but everyone seems to love it like this.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by beretzs
ST, I’m going to try the hide on on one deer next year. Just to see.

Try it. I've always left deer hang, but skinned. I was dubious about letting the hide on initially, but not anymore. Like I said, just don't forget normal procedures just because the hide is on. Chest cavity split all the way down and no blood left to pool. Splitting the hide down the neck and removing the trachea is pretty important IMO. I also cut the head off tight behind the ears, but I don't think that's something that's important either way.

Temperature is critical. Do that and you end up with venison that is perfectly aged, but no meat loss due to shrinkage, and doesn't dry out.

I hung our first 2 skinned, when it was warmish, 3rd 1 skin on to help insulate against the freezing temperatures, when was taken.

Paul.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ice age the venison for 7-10 days.

Cut a 1/3 to 1/2 section of the backstrap. Carefully trim all fat and silverskin. Coat with olive oil. Season liberally with Montreal steak seasoning. Smoke on a pellet grill until the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees. Remove from the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes covered with foil. In the mean time, heat up a cast iron skillet a temperature known as D*MN HOT. (It is best to do this on a burner outside due to impending smoke.) Sear the backstrap section for about 2 minutes on all 4 sides. This should bring the internal temperature to around 130, although 125 is fine. Take it off of the pan and let it rest for another 10 minutes loosely covered with foil. Slice it thin, and be prepared to break up fights for the last piece. It will go quick.

In all seriousness, my wife is a very reluctant wild game eater. She finally tried this with an open mind. She said she loved it. And, coming from her, that is saying something.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Marinate backstrap or steak in olive oil, Dale's Sauce, and lemon juice for a few hours and grill to desired doneness. Or, dump the same marinate into a browning bag with a roast and cook in oven.

Never had anyone not like it. You'll need to play with the proportions a little for your taste. Dales is very salty so go carefully with it BUT DON'T use the low sodium version! My wife likes to use a lot of lemon juice but she can sometimes get it a little tart for my taste.

Start with 1/3 dales and 2/3 olive oil plus one squeezed lemon and adjust to taste.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whatever you do, don’t leave the tenderloins in the carcass. Cut them out while the elk is still warm, put them in a large zip lock bag and squeeze out all the excess air. Leave them in the refrigerator for 7 days and then clean all the facia out of them.

Marinate them in teriyaki with some Worcestershire sauce, white rice vinegar and a few shakes of Tabasco sauce for around 2 hours, turning and kneading every 15 minutes.

Take the two tenderloins and season them with course ground black pepper and Lawrys seasoned salt, cut strips of butter long enough to reach full length of the tenderloins and tie them together with string. Seasonal the exterior with more course ground black pepper and put them on a smoker grill at about 400 degrees.

Grill them until the outside is noticeably cooked. Then cut the string and finish them separately until they are medium rare..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Perfect

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Venison Jalapeno Poppers

1 lb. venison steaks cut into 2" square pieces
1 lb bacon
8 oz block cream cheese
jar jalapeno pepper slices
tooth picks

lay each cube of venison on 1 bacon strip
add 1 tsp cream chz on top of venison cube
add one slice jalapeño on cream chz
roll bacon around venison/cream chz/jalapeno and secure with a tooth pick

cook in 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. I use a rack with a pan underneath it.

Note: I like to soak the toothpicks in a bowl of water before using, this keeps them from burning in the oven

Enjoy

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Season with SPG, cook in either cast iron pan or on the grill to temp desired (med/med rare) and consume with sides. Basically it and just like any other red meat I consume.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Come over to the cooking forum. There's hundreds of game preps in the dinner forum.

Favorite is probably a 2-3 lb chunck of backstrap, seasoned heavily with salt 24 hrs before cooking. Put on a cool smoke, 180-200 degrees. When that thing hits about 118 internal, pull it off, get a steel or cast iron searing hot, add beef tallow and sear it smoking for a few seconds per side.

Let it rest, slice and serve.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HCDH66

Cut a 1/3 to 1/2 section of the backstrap. Carefully trim all fat and silverskin. Coat with olive oil. Season liberally with Montreal steak seasoning. Smoke on a pellet grill until the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees. Remove from the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes covered with foil. In the mean time, heat up a cast iron skillet a temperature known as D*MN HOT. (It is best to do this on a burner outside due to impending smoke.) Sear the backstrap section for about 2 minutes on all 4 sides. This should bring the internal temperature to around 130, although 125 is fine. Take it off of the pan and let it rest for another 10 minutes loosely covered with foil. Slice it thin, and be prepared to break up fights for the last piece. It will go quick.

In all seriousness, my wife is a very reluctant wild game eater. She finally tried this with an open mind. She said she loved it. And, coming from her, that is saying something.

That's similar to what I do. I seldom do steaks anymore and just leave backstraps and parted out hindquarters as roasts. I often brine overnight in ice water with a little salt. then season the roasts before going on the pellet grill. My family prefers Traeger's Prime Rib rub, so tend to use that the most. I remove from grill at 105 and sear to 115-120. It doesn't suck...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perfect Super Bowl appetizer

lay down an extra large and thick slice of bacon.....lay a thin slice of backstrip (cut approximately twice as thick and the same width and length as the bacon) on top of it.....place a scoop of cream cheese on top of one end of the venison......lay 2-3 pickled jalapenos on the cream cheese.....roll into a spiral and fasten with toothpicks.....bake until venison is rare and finish to medium rare on a grille to crisp the bacon - good stuff

or, I really like this meatloaf recipe

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/meat-loaf-recipe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks like someone beat me to it

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by HCDH66

That's similar to what I do. I seldom do steaks anymore and just leave backstraps and parted out hindquarters as roasts. I often brine overnight in ice water with a little salt. then season the roasts before going on the pellet grill. My family prefers Traeger's Prime Rib rub, so tend to use that the most. I remove from grill at 105 and sear to 115-120. It doesn't suck...

Yep, with great meat, simple is best !

Back straps, for 6;

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi temp, fast sear, do not over cook !!

Heart;

Let the meat speak !

Paul.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
How bout liver it’s tasty

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Hi temp, fast sear, do not over cook !!

Heart;

Let the meat speak !

Do you use a thermometer?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, digital therma pen for small stuff like this & meater 2 probes for roasts etc.

Paul.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'm just going to dovetail off what everybody else has said about deer poppers. trappeys makes some pickled jalepenos that say "sweet'n'hot". that and i prefer onion and chives or garlic flavored cream cheese to the OG personally.

Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by beretzs
ST, I’m going to try the hide on on one deer next year. Just to see.

Try it. I've always left deer hang, but skinned. I was dubious about letting the hide on initially, but not anymore. Like I said, just don't forget normal procedures just because the hide is on. Chest cavity split all the way down and no blood left to pool. Splitting the hide down the neck and removing the trachea is pretty important IMO. I also cut the head off tight behind the ears, but I don't think that's something that's important either way.

Temperature is critical. Do that and you end up with venison that is perfectly aged, but no meat loss due to shrinkage, and doesn't dry out.

I hung our first 2 skinned, when it was warmish, 3rd 1 skin on to help insulate against the freezing temperatures, when was taken.

Depends on a persons situation and what he can control as far as temps obviously. I have access to a cooler typically, and would've this yr also, but temps were staying cold enough that I just left them in my garage and it worked out. As long as I can keep them above freezing but under 40, I prefer the end results of hide on.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
That looks amazing!

I agree with you on the fact that I almost never cut up into steaks prior to cooking.

Originally Posted by JGray
[quote=HCDH66]Ice age the venison for 7-10 days.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quot

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.