Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The first-time hearing lions and hyenas in the night was a primal experience for me. Also, hearing some crocodiles splashing in the river and thinking death by crocodile would totally suck. The sounds of doves in the early morning brings about a good, peaceful feeling. Campfire smoke.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
So many have described wonderful sights, sounds, smells and I love most of what has been posted. But for me, nothing compares to listening to a lion’s roar. It’s my favorite sound in the wild.

Fortunately I’ll be in a camp in northern Cameroon in just a few weeks, so hope to again enjoy so many of the sounds mentioned on this thread.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
The sound of doves.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

And the smell of Mopane wood smoke.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
Fortunately I’ll be in a camp in northern Cameroon in just a few weeks, so hope to again enjoy so many of the sounds mentioned on this thread.

What are you going after in Cameroon? I was there in 2003. It is a great safari destination.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I hear the barking of baboons fouling up my attempts to sneak up on game.
Frustrating, memorable, and something I would love to hear again.

Last edited by RinB; 01/27/24.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RinB
I hear the barking of baboons fouling up my attempts to sneak up on game.
Frustrating, memorable, and something I would love to hear again.

Yep, that'll do it--especially since their barks carry so far!

But had more than one stalk screwed up by giraffes in the Okavango--which I would also love to hear/see again....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mac, I’ll primarily be hunting Lord Derby Eland and Roan. Other game Hartebeest, Cob, Reedbuck, Oribi.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mac, I’ll primarily be hunting Lord Derby Eland and Roan. Other game Hartebeest, Cob, Reedbuck, Oribi.
Are you taking your own rifle/s, and if so, did you need to send your passport to Brussels to get the gun permit?

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nice. Roan was my primary reason for going there. The one I got taped a little over 34 inches. They have great Roan there. I hunted with Ngong Safaris and was very happy with them. I saw Lord Derby 3 times while I was there, neat critters but way too pricey for me.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
  
The little stinkers... smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the doves

Last edited by NDHuntr; 01/28/24.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
The sound of doves.

Yes!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
My trips are seared in my memory. The sounds I hear are the doves and guineas at sunrise and the zebras at dusk. It is truly infectious. On the plane in Windhoek leaving on this last trip, my 23 year old son looks up at me and says, "Dad, I miss Africa!" We hadn't even left the gate yet!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The first time I was landing East London, I was beginning to scheme how I could go another time. I'm have now gone 3 times in 9 years.

If I was still working, I would be going a 4th time soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
The night sounds, the smell of the morning air, the birds, the views, there is just so much. I “dine on” my Africa trips every day.

If you have not gone and it’s something you desire to do, get it done.

Too true. Africa is changing rapidly, and not for the better. Find a way to go while you can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Those freaking "go away" birds, A dark dark Namibian night.....not a light to be seen anywhere except the sky.

THIS..bu tin Zim

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I worked in two hospitals in Cameroon - Gara Boli and Ngarendery

They were dirt poor.
Dust on the operating table. Patients pooping in the hallways and in their rooms. No refrigeration. Patients were 75% HIV positive. Poisonous snakes in our living quarters. Natives found black mamba in my hut, king cobra at the dump, Crocodiles, elephants, hippos, baboons etc. no one had a gun. Hospital rooms smelled worse than the chicken houses I cleaned as a kid.
I watched people die due to disease. Electricity wasn’t secure. The back up generator for the hospital ran on diesel. Natives stole the diesel.

Don’t want to be a patient there.

I worked in a village next to Central Africa Republic. I was the first white man many in the village had ever seen.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/05/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Are you taking your own rifle/s, and if so, did you need to send your passport to Brussels to get the gun permit?

Yes, I’m taking my .375 and yes I had to send my passport to Brussels for my Cameroonian Gun Permit. Gracy Travel handled that for me, as they have a fellow in Paris who takes the passport to Brussels, gets the Visa and Gun Permit and then FedExes it back. It’s not cheap but they have the process down pat. Nothing about an LDE hunt is cheap, unfortunately.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
But for me, nothing compares to listening to a lion’s roar. It’s my favorite sound in the wild.

About how far does a lion's roar carry at night?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
I worked in two hospitals in Cameroon - Gara Boli and Ngarendery

They were dirt poor.
Dust on the operating table. Patients pooping in the hallways and in their rooms. No refrigeration. Patients were 75% HIV positive. Poisonous snakes in our living quarters. Natives found black mamba in my hut, king cobra at the dump, Crocodiles, elephants, hippos, baboons etc. no one had a gun. Hospital rooms smelled worse than the chicken houses I cleaned as a kid.
I watched people die due to disease. Electricity wasn’t secure. The back up generator for the hospital ran on diesel. Natives stole the diesel.

Don’t want to be a patient there.

I worked in a village next to Central Africa Republic. I was the first white man many in the village had ever seen.

Spent a few days visiting the Lutheran Church hospital in Ngoundere about 10 years ago when I was still in practice. Also saw the “local” hospital, if you could call it that. Compared to a first world hospital, it was night and day in the Lutheran hospital and absolutely no comparison in the local hospital. On topic, the sound of lions roaring and elephants trumpeting at night will raise the hair on your whole body.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jdollar, are you still a covtard or have you seen the light and pulled your head out of your assss ? You're a coward, and you and people like you ruined many people's lives. I don't understand why you keep crawling out of your hole and coming back over here instead of kissing the libtard/covtard's assses over at the muslim owner's board. Screw you and the horse you rode in on.

Originally Posted by jdollar
Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.

Originally Posted by jdollar
The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

You can’t fix stupid.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,554
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.