Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They have some data on their website but I generally start by using Barnes data and go from there.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by John55
They have some data on their website but I generally start by using Barnes data and go from there.
Nosler data has been very good for me as well. Their "accuracy" loads mentioned for each load have worked for me time after time with the various Hammer bullets.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duckster
Where do you find reloading data for Hammer bullets? Their offerings look interesting but no data out there?
Right on their website https://hammerbullets.com/load-data/
Or give them a call.

Last edited by Dons99; 02/02/24.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a long time user of the Barnes X bullets and currently use the TTSX and LRX versions in my .338, 30-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I also only hunt in Alaska and prefer a deep penetrating bullet that leaves two holes.

That being said a couple of years ago I loaded up some 203 grain Shock Hammers for my wife's Winchester Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Win. that wears a Leupold 1.5-5x20 with a German #4 reticle. The 223 grain bullet is to long for the action.

If a moose ever sticks around and is under 150 yards I will try and lung shoot it. I'm hoping to test some bullets this spring, but after all these years I have an idea how they will do.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Dons99
Originally Posted by duckster
Where do you find reloading data for Hammer bullets? Their offerings look interesting but no data out there?
Right on their website https://hammerbullets.com/load-data/
Or give them a call.

Their loading data is very sparse...there is a thread, I think it's called, 'post your loads', 26 pages, on their forum but it seems to predominantly be very modern cartridges, and wildcats at very high velocities. I was trying to get a little baseline info before I ordered some 'shock hammers'...no such luck.
I am required to use copper here in the land of fruits and nuts, but I use old proven cartridges at modest velocities because I hunt steep timbered ground shots never exceeding 150 yards and am a meat hunter so I do not want high velocity bloodshot jellied meat.
I ordered anyway, not really finding out what the actual impact velocity window is, but I will be doing some testing.
If you order, they have a vets discount of 10% which pretty well covers the shipping.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I found the 55 Hammer Hunter very accurate in .243. Tiny groups and VERY fast. 4000 fps+. Just for fun I loaded them up for coyotes. Devastating carnage. I also loaded up 70 HHs in 240 Weatherby with good results on coyotes, accurate, but not so much carnage. Could be just the small sample size. This is California, so I have to be lead free. Not sure if I'd shoot them for coyotes if located somewhere else. Good luck!

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

First try in my 300 RUM. I think they'll shoot okay once I get going.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by comerade
This all good feedback, much appreciated.
I rewatched the Spomer interview with Hammer.
Interestingly, Hammer wanted the bullet to shear off, flat, I visualized a wadcutter and the frontal portion breaks off and patterns( in small fragments) around the main wound channel. The squared off , rear portion is expected to travel straight, likely exiting.
Mature Bull Elk are focus around here and I have not used Hammer Bullets but many, many Nosler Partitions with great sucess.
Did any of you see evidence of this?
Cheers
Yes. All the Hammers I've recovered have looked like this. This one is from a big bull shot at 400 yards with the 143 out of my 28 Nosler

https://imgur.com/MUYqy53

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thankyou 2five7.
I was looking for this info. Did you find the frontal pieces?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by comerade
Thankyou 2five7.
I was looking for this info. Did you find the frontal pieces?
Don't think I have. We don't gut though, gutless quarter method always, so I couldn't even tell you anything about internal damage, other than it was sufficient to kill the animal quickly.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 12 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.