-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is way too much out there for two weeks. Pick out parts of our suggestions and go see them. Don't stretch yourselves out too much. There is another year. I try to keep driving miles down below 300 a day. Sometimes well below.

In April 4WD might be advisable. One year in September we stayed in 4WD from Glenwood Springs Colorado to the Utah Uinta Mountains to Wyoming north of Flaming Gorge. Early snow.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Wife and I are in Middle Tennessee. We plan to get in the car, drive west for a week, and turn around and head home the second week.

All we’ve seen west of the Mississippi consists of Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam.

What should we not miss?

Don't miss the Tulsa Arms gun show. Ap. 6 and 7. Largest gun show in the country.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My earlier suggestion of Yellowstone as a destination was predicated on your being able to reschedule your trip to late May or early June.

If you’re locked into the April timeframe I would not plan anything much north of I-40 in the states west of the plains.

Reserve the northern Rocky Mountain destinations for summer trips.

Lots to see along I-40 if you plan a few northward excursions as weather conditions permit. (Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon etc.)

April is Spring in Tennessee, but still Winter in the Rockies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last August from Indiana I went up to I80 in NE, into WY, a night in Pinedale, on to Jackson and the Tetons, 4 days in Yellowstone, back east to Cody for the Museum of the West and rodeo, on to the Bighorns, then Devils Tower, stayed all night in Sundance. Next day on I90 to Deadwood, Sturgis, Mt. Rushmore and Blackhills, Badlands then headed home. Many other sites to see near that route. However, April may be too early for Yellowstone.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed Carlsbad Caverns. Spent most of a day wandering underground. There's more stuff in that area past the caverns too.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
have not read all this so ..

depending on your route and seeing as you are on here you might like seeing the Bass Pro national headquarters which also house a very cool NRA gun museum. , located Springfield MO
kust south of Springfield a bit is big time tourists destination Branson.. you can find lots of info on line about Branson attractions ...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We roadtrip in the west all of April every year. Our primary focus is hiking and critter watching. We have spent the last 2 weeks of April in Cody, Wy. several times and will do it again. The North fork of the Shoshone river between Cody and the east entrance of Yellowstone is spectacular and like a big game zoo. We have seen Big horn Sheep, Buffalo, Moose and Griz from the road and the pastures are overrun w/ deer and elk. That area also offers a huge variety of trails that you will probably have to yourself, carry binos and your favorite bear blaster.

The Black Hills area is also a destination worthy of a week long stay. We stay in the cabins of the lodge near the west entrance of Custer State park. Mt. Rushmore is a good day trip but hiking in the Park and the prairies south of there is mind blowing if you like wide open spaces populated w/ buffalo, Mule Deer and about a billion prairie dogs. April can be magical for visiting great places w/out the crowds.

If winter lingers hit Moab and the rest of Utah's canyon country.

mikr r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
So how are the current road conditions around Yellowstone? The extended weather forecast doesn’t look bad.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Many thanks for the advice, men! We had a great trip and saw many amazing sights. We did miss Yellowstone due to an impending snow storm, but we saw 8 national parks, and most importantly, I got to spend a day in the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody. We put 5300 miles on the odometer and are still on speaking terms. I saw elk, bison, antelope, and mule deer. I’ve never seen these in the wild before. I’m already ready to go back! God bless the USA!!!

P.S. to folks in Utah and Wyoming….I can offer cooking lessons for a nominal fee. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many thanks for the advice, men! We had a great trip and saw many amazing sights. We did miss Yellowstone due to an impending snow storm, but we saw 8 national parks, and most importantly, I got to spend a day in the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody. We put 5300 miles on the odometer and are still on speaking terms. I saw elk, bison, antelope, and mule deer. I’ve never seen these in the wild before. I’m already ready to go back! God bless the USA!!!

P.S. to folks in Utah and Wyoming….I can offer cooking lessons for a nominal fee. grin

Which national parks did you hit?

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

My advise

The best of Utah is not in the NP's where the crowds are

I travel Utah in 'off season' 'off touron' seasons

Otherwise I'm in BFE.........

This spring weather........been unrelentless with wind/storms

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

Badlands
Devil’s Tower
Mt Rushmore
The Arches
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Petrified Forest
Grand Canyon

Last edited by gregintenn; 6 hours ago.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wake up here.......

You'll say.....

'what NP's'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
another non NP pic camp spot

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tikkanut

My advise

The best of Utah is not in the NP's where the crowds are

I travel Utah in 'off season' 'off touron' seasons

Otherwise I'm in BFE.........

This spring weather........been unrelentless with wind/storms

Oh, I agree. Some of the most beautiful scenery we saw was when driving between parks.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
another non NP spot

Told my wife........dump my ashes here..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zion or the mighty 5 are truly spectacular.
I'd probably just fly to Vegas (maybe Saint George) rent a car and go that way.

Or fly to Tahoe stay few days, then drive 4 hours south to the sierras (mammoth , June loop) area, ones of my absolute favorites. The drive to Yosemite on tioga pass is something else. Don't even have to go into the park. I think you need reservations now to get in there.

Bend, Oregon.
Drive to crater lake one day, Painted hills/john day fossil beds. Smith rock maybe Richardson rock ranch dig for thunder eggs/fossils..
Day drive to the Oregon coast like canon beach, Columbia gorge/mt hood..
good luck
You can see John day river in the pic. I'll probably have my ashes or some dumped out here.

Zion canyon overlook trail watched the sunset. Easy hike. Get there at dark. Only like 5 parking spaces.

Last edited by Dre; 2 hours ago.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,171
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.