Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Midway recently had some .224 75 grain dual cannelure SPs available as an overrun for cheap. Almost FMJ cheap. A little poking around showed them to be Hornady bullets used in their 223 “pistol” ammo designed for AR pistols. YouTube vids looked promising when they were shot into gel.

I’m always fiddling with different bullets in the 223 trying them out on pigs just to take notes and gather data. So I grabbed a few hundred and loaded a mag full over 23.5gr of TAC. I’ve only killed 4 pigs so far but I’m thinking they’re pretty sweet little bullets.

I have no idea of group size, I shot a rock about grapefruit size in an old pit from about 100 yards sitting and wrapped up in the sling, good enough for chasing pigs in the weeds. The BC I’m certain is horrible, they are sort of a semi spitzer, I rarely shoot anything over 300 so don’t care too much. Function has been flawless which isn’t a surprise as this rifle has always eaten everything without a bobble.

When they land they seem to penetrate very well, I haven’t caught one yet. Haven’t shot anything over 150lb but I did shoot one through both hips on the run and another intentionally through both shoulders. Exits have been roughly .50cal with a half inch ring of bloody pulp around it on chest shots. Slightly more carnage evident on the shoulder and hip shots, 1” exits.

More testing is of course in order, I’ll continue at every opportunity. But for some guys who express concern over penetration with 22CFs, these might be a good option if you can get some. I doubt I give up my beloved 77TMKs but if I can get more of these cheap I’m going to stock up.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I got a 5.7, my plan was to load for it, but I’ve suspended that for now due to cost/time/trouble. However I picked some really cheap bullets in the 40-45gr range that will get used in something, either .22 Hornet or .223, or maybe even the 5.7 again in a pinch. Never a bad idea to pick up useful stuff cheaply when you can. Those bullets were about the same price each as primers are now. Whodathunk that would ever be the case?

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm pretty sure I ordered a few hundred of those as well, but haven't actually tried them yet.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had tracking snow and tested out a couple more this morning. Shots were close, sub 25 yards so near muzzle velocity impacts. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Bullet on the left entered the skull of the spotted pig slightly left of his right eye and exited the neck after shattering the first vertebrae behind the head, I found it right under the hide down between the shoulders.

Right bullet went in through the shoulder knuckle of 125lb or so pig on a quartering angle and was under the hide back by the second to last rib on the other side.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the field data. Looks like they are a good fit for your needs. I’ve often wondered why there was no plain-jane .224 Interlock BTSPs or SSTs in 75gr weights for AR uses. Seems like they’d sell well for hunting.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JPro
Appreciate the field data. Looks like they are a good fit for your needs. I’ve often wondered why there was no plain-jane .224 Interlock BTSPs or SSTs in 75gr weights for AR uses. Seems like they’d sell well for hunting.

If they shoot for you, the Hornady 75 HPBT isn't a bad way to roll for cheap and pretty good killers. I have had hit or miss luck with them, but when they work, they are pretty great bullets.

Semper Fi
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have had very hit or miss results with the Hornady 75 BTHP as far as on game performance. I found that they really work most consistently when you hit big bones and that’s not always possible when shooting moving pigs in cover.

So I have tended to prefer SP or tipped bullets the last few years.

Funny story. When I was a teenager and just started reloading I had a bad experience with a Ballistic tip and swore off all tipped bullets for a long time. Not very scientific and silly looking back, but not unusual as easily evidenced by reading the Fire. But a few years ago when I relocated to where I have an endless supply of test subjects I thought it might be cool to try out as many bullets as possible and keep notes. I have learned a bunch and dispelled a lot of my old beliefs about bullet performance and effectiveness, plus had a lot of fun. It’s also made me believe that if everyone got the chance to shoot several hundred head of large animals instead of the usual few dozen there’s be much less concrete conviction on good or bad bullets.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good info. It's always neat to see your results on the porkers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dude270
Good info. It's always neat to see your results on the porkers.

For sure. I always like to read what TK writes and reports from his hog killin. Glad we don't have them, but a little jealous we don't as well..

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TheKid
I have had very hit or miss results with the Hornady 75 BTHP as far as on game performance. I found that they really work most consistently when you hit big bones and that’s not always possible when shooting moving pigs in cover.

So I have tended to prefer SP or tipped bullets the last few years.

Funny story. When I was a teenager and just started reloading I had a bad experience with a Ballistic tip and swore off all tipped bullets for a long time. Not very scientific and silly looking back, but not unusual as easily evidenced by reading the Fire. But a few years ago when I relocated to where I have an endless supply of test subjects I thought it might be cool to try out as many bullets as possible and keep notes. I have learned a bunch and dispelled a lot of my old beliefs about bullet performance and effectiveness, plus had a lot of fun. It’s also made me believe that if everyone got the chance to shoot several hundred head of large animals instead of the usual few dozen there’s be much less concrete conviction on good or bad bullets.

Good stuff kid, as usual. Hogs have become my favorite source of bullet testing media by far.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
… if everyone got the chance to shoot several hundred head of large animals instead of the usual few dozen there’s be much less concrete conviction on good or bad bullets.
Ain’t that the truth.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.