Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by Teeder
I never have, but someone tried to. This is the buck I got in 2022. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now that is astonishing! Can you imagine watching that buck run off after the shot?!

Makes you wonder what kind of archery shot they were going for.

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now that is astonishing! Can you imagine watching that buck run off after the shot?!

I wonder if that was when the buck was in velvet….

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Blacktails here in Southeast AK start losing their antlers in December. I've had various bucks that had an antler go flying off when they got hit. One time I grabbed one by the antler to drag him a short ways and went ass over end when the antler popped off in my hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wonder if that was when the buck was in velvet….

Shouldn't have been. Our archery season starts 3-4 weeks after they typically lose velvet.
When you look up close, the antler was fully hardened off based on the cracks.
I hadn't even noticed until I had it home and hanging.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
That could have been bad news if you grab an antler to drag him and pick the wrong one. Ouch!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
That could have been bad news if you grab an antler to drag him and pick the wrong one. Ouch!

I thought the same thing! eek

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
It happens pretty often if you’re hunt’n with a “one eyed dog”! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i almost shot one off with a 12 ga. only shot i had in high weeds was a head shot so i tried. he dropped at the shot but when i approached he blinked so i finished him off.
islug just barely nicked an antler and knocked him out. he was coming around as i walked up on him.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just once. I shot a fork horn mulie many years ago in CO in a really heavy snow storm. He was bedded in the sagebrush and all I could see was the head. Shot him where the ear hooked up to the skull on the right side (he was laying broadside) and when I walked up to him his left antler was laying in the snow about 5 ft away with a big chunk of skull attached to it. I used a 7mm Mag and his head was a real mess.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not a deer, my first bull elk though. Slowed him down considerably. We had fresh snow and I followed a nice size track down into the heavier timber. Then up ahead lay a very nice 5x6 with his head up, but looking directly away. I didn't dare go any farther for fear of spooking him, so I took the shot off hand at his upper neck. Brush deflection, a wiggle or elk fever or a mixture of all three, but the elk got to his feet and trotted about 50 feet to the right giving me a perfect broadside lung shot. Strange I thought because elk should run faster than that. Not that one with a perfect 7mm hole through the base of his left antler. That must have rung his bell pretty good.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Shot a knee-cap off once - does that count? smile

Got out of the boat, changed out of our Yukon River running gear, and started up the bank of a feeder stream.. Plan was to work upstream a mile or so (very shallow creek), cross, hunt back to the boat. If we found a moose to shoot , I could walk the boat up to it, through the riffles and shallows, and float it back down. Seemed like a good plan.

70-80 yards from the boat, a young bull moose came walking out 70 or so yards ahead, down to get a drink. Short hunt - I liked it! Just one riffle to navigate.

"Wait until he finishes and turns away- we don't want him in the water", I told my wife.

She did, and when she touched off her .243 the muzzle was about 2 feet from my ear. I reflex shot off the .270...

Her shot went thru both lungs... moose limped about 15 yards to behind a screen of brush, stood there for a minute or so and fell over. We heard it go down, circled around to a higher over-look bank behind, just in case. The Lab was bouncing around from the shot.... "Retrieve...retrieve....retrieve...!" He was 3, and had never even seen a moose. And not this one.

On spotting the downed moose I gave him the go.. He ran down, sniffed a leg, and looked back at me....

"You HAVE GOT to be kidding!"

Well, it was his first moose, but once earlier he had tried to retrieve a not-shot walrus.

That's another story. smile

Damn- I wish I was young again! With dogs to live with in the future.

Last edited by las; 01/12/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Definitely had a head ache!

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Have never shot an antler off, but several years ago I was hunting just outside the boundary of a state park. A nice 8 point was sneaking up a small draw on his way to the safety zone. Somehow he knew I was close by. He went behind a large oak tree and bent his neck around so that only his head was visible. The only shot I had was to aim between his eye and his antler. Dead right there, but his left antler was only attacked by the skin.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeverGunner
Definitely had a head ache!

There was a State Police game check station set up on the highway back to town.
I showed them the shot off antler and it garnered quite a crowd of interested hunters. No one knew of a one antlered buck being killed, but I asked the game guys to give my contact info out if a hunter brought him in.

Not 15 minutes after shooting the antler off, there was a rifle shot a few hundred yards away down the hill from where I was. A major game trail led up that ridge line from the shot and just stayed put to see what might happen. In a short while a heavy antlered 3 point buck came sneaking up the trail with his head held low - I killed him right there less than twenty yards from where I shot the other bucks antler off!!

The buck had been shot while going away from the shooter. The bullet tunneled under the skin From the back of the hips and popped out behind a shoulder, doing no substantial damage at all.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Blacktail53; 01/21/24.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Never shot one off, shot a deer and saw one fall off though. Deer was late season and fairly poor. Antler shedded right off as the deer hit the dirt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hog hunting in Florida and only had a Rugger 44 mag pistol. Six point deer came out on the road about 20 yards away and I dropped it with one shot But...it got up and started staggering around like the biggest drunk you ever saw. Thick brush all around so I start shooting but can not hit, even though it came within 5 yards. Finally hit it with next to last shot. Don't think it ever went 2 feet in the same direction and never quit jerking around. First shot had broken one of the horns off at the skull and obviously had messed his locomotion up bad. Never forget that rodeo

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Shot an 8 pt running straight at me with OO buckshot. Antlers exploded liked like kindling wood. He nose dived and slid toward me dead.
Shot another 8 pt with OOB. Was standing behind a tree and he came running by at about 8 feet. At the shot he went tail over tea kettle and slid to a stop. Noticed one antler was missing. When he flipped over one antler broke off in the dirt and about 3 in of brow tine was imbedded in his back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tdoyka
my dad (RIP) shot a decent 7pt and when he got it, he thought he shot doe. he looked around and found the antlers laying next to the buck.

I have done this twice !

1st time, got quite the shock, after dragging him out of a brush pile.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Power of the mighty .308 !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,770
Posts18,476,810
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.