Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
I shot a bull moose in Newfoundland with a 338RUM and a 250gr Accubond bullet. The moose was hit on the point of the shoulder and it flipped him over backwards, DRT. The bullet penetrated both shoulders and was captured in the off-side hide. The expanded bullet weighed 140gr after tearing through all of that bone.

My opinion - use a 200gr Accubond/Partition or similar bonded bullet just in case you encounter a lot of bone.

He may have gone over backwards, but the impact alone didn't do that.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by moosemike
I don't want to have to have my animal broadside when I'm hunting. I want the ability to take raking shots.

Why the preference for raking shots over a good broadside lung shot?

No. I said I don't want to "have to" have an animal broadside. Another words I don't wish to be limited. I want to have the option to take the angling shot

Gotcha

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Barnes TTSX is great too

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mathman
I shot a bull moose in Newfoundland with a 338RUM and a 250gr Accubond bullet. The moose was hit on the point of the shoulder and it flipped him over backwards, DRT. The bullet penetrated both shoulders and was captured in the off-side hide. The expanded bullet weighed 140gr after tearing through all of that bone.

My opinion - use a 200gr Accubond/Partition or similar bonded bullet just in case you encounter a lot of bone.

Clearly, you do not understand knock down power! 😳

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WMR

Clearly, you do not understand knock down power! 😳
On my first hunt with my .300 Wby, Jason Matzinger's Dad, Tim, videod me shooting a Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas that flipped over backward. Jason never used that footage on his TV show "Into High Country".

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by buffybr
On my first hunt with my .300 Wby, Jason Matzinger's Dad, Tim, videod me shooting a Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas that flipped over backward. Jason never used that footage on his TV show "Into High Country".

Have had a handful of moose flip over backwards, but that’s because their ass falls while their front legs are stiff and the momentum pulls them over.

Unless you shot that Oryx with a bowling ball, you didn’t flip him over from bullet “energy”.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis
Barnes TTSX is great too

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee"

Bee you say, well that is just PERFECT!

From this day forward I am calling my .300 Win Mag Weatherby "Bee" or "Next of Kin"

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/08/24.

KB

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

Have had a handful of moose flip over backwards, but that’s because their ass falls while their front legs are stiff and the momentum pulls them over.

Unless you shot that Oryx with a bowling ball, you didn’t flip him over from bullet “energy”.

The principle here is conservation of momentum. If the projectile carried enough momentum to flip a moose, then the recoil of the rifle would be tremendous.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The principle here is conservation of momentum. If the projectile carried enough momentum to flip a moose, then the recoil of the rifle would be tremendous.

Well, yeah. It would flip the shooter over possibly several times....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, I never had a mule deer or elk flip over backwards from a close range hit with my .300 Weatherby but a few fell down in their tracks or staggered a few steps and tipped over. YMMV

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one thing about it, they all ended up dead.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had a whitetail flip over backwards, but I was using a 270.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

I didn't say or even try to imply that the Oryx flipped over backwards from my bullet's energy, but that he flipped backwards as a reaction to being hit.

Now a few prairie dogs that I've shot blew apart or flipped high in the air as direct result of my bullet's energy!

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
buffy, these guys just want to argue, they are not worth your time.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Barnes TTSX is great too

From this day forward I am calling my .300 Win Mag Weatherby "Bee" or "Next of Kin"

cool

More like anomaly. Ha ha.. I always thought the Weatherby rifles chambered for 300wm were weird. Why not just chamber them properly?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Well, yeah. It would flip the shooter over possibly several times....

We've all seen the videos..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Barnes TTSX is great too

cool

More like anomaly. Ha ha.. I always thought the Weatherby rifles chambered for 300wm were weird. Why not just chamber them properly?

It is weird, the first time I shot it I said to myself, "Man that is weird, nowhere near the target, what a piece of junk!"

Had to swap out the barrel, glass bed and fee float it before I turned it into a Killing machine.

To be honest I bought it for the fit, something about Monte Carlo stocks that fit me perfectly.

My Bee stays home most of the time, the BSA is my Bestest Friend cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/10/24.

KB

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
To be honest I bought it for the fit, something about Monte Carlo stocks that fit me perfectly.

You just made the most sensible quote on the fire with this statement.
There was a time when I likely wrote more artlcles on Weatherby's than the other writers combined and the reason for that was rifle fit. Owning 2 John Rigby rifles taught me something mere words fail.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I didn't read all this thread, but a .300 will be excellent. I have killed two moose with my .300 Win. One with Sierra 165 HPBT and one with a 200 grain Nosler Part. If I get another hunt in, it will be with 165 Accubonds. What ever shoots best and you like use it. My late wife killed two. One with a 180 Sierra out of an 06 and one with a 7mm RM and a 140 gr. BTBT. All these internet commandos only read and pass it on.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Barnes TTSX is great too

yes they are

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 65 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.