Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
CA so need to shoot non lead. Would like to use Thors (or some other non lead option?) in one of my traditional 48" twist caplocks, but am afraid to in case I need to pull one. Has anyone actually tried with success?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe a Co2 unit instead of trying to pull it out?

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Maybe a Co2 unit instead of trying to pull it out?

Yes but they aren’t 100%. Is like to know there’s a foolproof back up plan before shooting.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I gave up on bullet pulling years ago. If I can't shoot it oit, I use my compressed air unloader.
I use it every day I go out huntimg rather than have a charge and ball sit in the gun

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Awesome bullets

IC B2

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I gave up on bullet pulling years ago. If I can't shoot it oit, I use my compressed air unloader.
I use it every day I go out huntimg rather than have a charge and ball sit in the gun
Specifically what kind of rifle? Ever had it not work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if the bore is clean and unfired I leave the charge and ball alone the entire hunting season.
I don't use them newfangled thingies but have had lead loads so stuck i had to use a grease gun to clear the load when it wouldn't move via air, or puller.
find a grease zerk that fits if it is a cap lock and pump it out.
flinter's are harder but can be done.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With my cap lock, I once shoved a slug down an uncharged barrel. Unscrewed the nipple and worked powder in until it would absorb no more. Reassembled and fired. That was enough to send the slug about 50 yds downrange.

1Minute
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deerstalker
if the bore is clean and unfired I leave the charge and ball alone the entire hunting season.
I don't use them newfangled thingies but have had lead loads so stuck i had to use a grease gun to clear the load when it wouldn't move via air, or puller.

So you find a zerk fitting that is the same thread and pitch as the nipple threads, and then pump that barrel so full of grease that it hydraulically pushes the projectile out? That’s brilliant on one hand, yeah, what an incredible mess that must be on the other hand! How on earth do you clean that out?

R
R
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

So you find a zerk fitting that is the same thread and pitch as the nipple threads, and then pump that barrel so full of grease that it hydraulically pushes the projectile out? That’s brilliant on one hand, yeah, what an incredible mess that must be on the other hand! How on earth do you clean that out?
I watched a shooter do this once.
To clean the grease from the barrel he first removed the nipple. Then put a paper towel next to the opening. He pushed a patch down the bore with the ramrod and all the grease just piled up on the paper towel. A couple dry patches down the bore afterwards and he was ready to go.

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."
Jake Spoon - Lonesome Dove
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rum_River
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

I watched a shooter do this once.
To clean the grease from the barrel he first removed the nipple. Then put a paper towel next to the opening. He pushed a patch down the bore with the ramrod and all the grease just piled up on the paper towel. A couple dry patches down the bore afterwards and he was ready to go.
bingo!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Considering that thors normally load with 15-20lbs of seating pressure, removing them with a ball puller should be a very easy chore. They sell ball pullers in different sizes that would fill up the hollow point, or narrow enough to cut into the ballistic tip, depending which thor you are shooting.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Considering that thors normally load with 15-20lbs of seating pressure, removing them with a ball puller should be a very easy chore. They sell ball pullers in different sizes that would fill up the hollow point, or narrow enough to cut into the ballistic tip, depending which thor you are shooting.
Thor recommends a sizing pack to find which diameter you need. That’s what scares me a little bit, I don’t want to stick one midway down, so these removal suggestions are very helpful.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
See link, in a traditional ML I was hoping to be able to pull or blow out the too small ones during this sizing process. I suppose I could shoot them out too, but that would require another trip to the range.

https://thorbullets.com/pages/thor-bullets-sizing-instructions

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,459
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.