Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sonxx: Don't let ANYONE talk you out of the short sojourn to Jackson Hole, Wyoming from Yellowstone!
It is one of my most favorite scenic places on erf! If you do stop in town (Jackson) hold onto your wallet as everything there is expensive - including the tram ride up a mountain for an even more incredible view/vista of Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons. Even if pricey those tram rides are well worth the money.
Be sure to plan one of your days in Yellowstone to arrive at "Artists Point" right about high noon as there will be no/fewer shadows to interrupt your viewing/photography of the world class vista from there.
Also a trip up Beartooth Pass (just north of Yellowstone Park) is incredible if the road is open in your part of June.
I have one of the current National park Passes and mine is/has been good forever and was $20.00 about 12 years ago when I qualified for it (age wise).
If you have youngsters you may NOT be old enough for that money saving pass.
Enjoy your time in the Rockies.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me and a buddy went last August, drove out, managed to get 4 nights at a cabin in the lake village. Booked that a month in advance and was lucky to get it. Day one drove the lower loop, up the east side to the falls and canyon. Hiked several boardwalks around thermals. Afternoon headed west to Norris geyser basin, couldn’t get in for the traffic jam, same at Grand Prismatic. Went down along the Madison river and took the Firehole falls side trail. Headed on to Old Faithful, plenty of parking to handle the crowds. Be sure to see the lodge and hike the other thermal features, not just see the geyser blow then go.
Day two we left early and were at Grand Prismatic at dawn with two other cars. Be sure to hike the boardwalk. We then hiked Artist Paint Pots, it’s a good one. On to Norris, do the hike. On north to Mammoth Springs and the crowds were unbelievable. Found parking and took a short hike then headed south on the east side. Drove up Lamar valley but construction to repair road damage from the 2022 flood turned us back. Ate at the Canyon village and on south to our cabin. Spent the evening watching elk east of fisherman’s bridge.
Day three we hit visitor centers at the bridge, canyon and Old Faithfull. Took a big hike at OF. Ate dinner on the lake at Grant village. Next morning headed to Cody.
Pack lunch and drinks and be ready for crowds and traffic jams due to buffaloes. I would not drive an RV.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VaHunter
The Lamar Valley is the place to see if wildlife is a priority. I have been there 3 times and each time we have seen bears and wolves. Two of those encounters were with grizzly bears guarding a elk/deer kill from wolves.

THIS, in spades.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Hey guys,
Need help and input planning a Trip to Yellowstone for June.
Wanna take the kids (4 kids ages 7 to 14) to Yellowstone.
We will have to fly and plan to then rent an RV, as that seems the best option at this point.
High points would be Old Faithful, thermophile pools, wildlife.

Any recs on where to start reading/researching? Wat to avoid. There are plenty of websites, but I trust the experience here.

Yellowstone does reservations inside the park with link shown...not Rec.Gov

Don't wait any longer to try to book what you're looking for

I made reservations in Teton NP for June...receipt shows booked/paid for Dec 30th

Along with Yellowstone..........camping both spots

https://secure.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/booking/lodging

Last edited by tikkanut; 02/09/24.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whiptail
River rafting on the Snake River outside of Jackson is a ton of fun but the water level may high in June.

Lots of hiking.

Lot of traffic jams on the roads with people stopping to walk among the buffalo.

Plus one on the river rafting.

The kids will love it. We did it as an afterthought because my son was begging to do it. The river guides were great and it was well worth the extra few hours after leaving the park.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As some have alluded to, you may have missed the raft for this year. If you start right now, you MIGHT be able to get decent reservations (for the RV and the park) for 2025. This June? nope.

Go ahead and try, but don't make any payments you can't cancel because everything else is impossible.

It is something everyone should see, for sure. The problem is that it will seem like everyone on the planet is in line just to get in to the place. Thirty years ago, you could just drive in. Not now. And that's true for all the great parks out west. Some even have time slots you have to reserve. You get a slot of a few hours starting at X and that is it. No kidding.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are camping/RV spots available at Cave Falls. Plenty of hiking, lots to enjoy, catch and release fishing, beautiful river and falls, but no geysers. Cave Falls is very disconnected from the rest of the park. You have to drive far out around to get to the rest of the park, so it doesn't get so many visitors.

By all means enjoy Teton National Park while you are there. It's not far.

In Jackson, there are dinner shows available. I've heard of Bar T 5, which is a chuckwagon kind of thing.

Be not weary in well doing.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
DO NOT skip a trip over Beartooth Pass.

And if possible include Sunlight Basin and a stop at the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite part of Yellowstone was the Cody firearms museum.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As some have alluded to, you may have missed the raft for this year. If you start right now, you MIGHT be able to get decent reservations (for the RV and the park) for 2025. This June? nope.

Go ahead and try, but don't make any payments you can't cancel because everything else is impossible.

It is something everyone should see, for sure. The problem is that it will seem like everyone on the planet is in line just to get in to the place. Thirty years ago, you could just drive in. Not now. And that's true for all the great parks out west. Some even have time slots you have to reserve. You get a slot of a few hours starting at X and that is it. No kidding.

Yellowstone still needs no reservation to get in, but the line is several blocks long, choking traffic in West Yellowstone. It is best to start late in the day or before 6:00 AM if you don’t want to be held up in a real long line.

Then when you do get into the Park, you will have to wait again on the road for the idiots that won’t drive around a buffalo…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Yellowstone still needs no reservation to get in, but the line is several blocks long, choking traffic in West Yellowstone. It is best to start late in the day or before 6:00 AM if you don’t want to be held up in a real long line.

Then when you do get into the Park, you will have to wait again on the road for the idiots that won’t drive around a buffalo…

This.....

referred to as 'Timed Entries'

Arches & Zion start April 1st

Buy your time slots at Rec.gov'

$2 a pop (vehicle)

https://www.recreation.gov/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It won't be long before Yellerrocks goes that way, too. Inevitable with so much pressure. They may even be forced to go to a drawing some day. My prediction.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you're lucky the whole sumbitch may blow up while you're there!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If you're lucky the whole sumbitch may blow up while you're there!

LMAO !!!!!!!!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If someone from New York City sees a chipmunk on the side of the road expect a instant traffic jam and back up or miles. Course if you are from New York, you will be used to it. I would advise to always have your cameras handy to take pictures,videos of people ignoring the keep your distance from the animals and stay on walkways signs. Also if you walk out closer to get a close up picture of a grizzly, always take a friend along that runs slower then you. Have fun, you will enjoy the park.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by PJ65
North end of park around Gardiner is the best. Cody Wy is worth a trip. Jackson is basically an extension of California.
THIS^^^,Stay in or around Cody,Be prepared to be hammered with people in June.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will be crowded. We typically go for extended stays post Labor Day when one rarely needs to make reservations in or out of the park. If one wants to do the park without jumping from the rig to snap a photo and then rushing off again, spend about 4 to 5 days in the park taking time to walk about and smell the roses around the various loops. Yes, do get out as early as possible if wildlife is of interest. Pack your own lunches and drinks to avoid being forced back into mob zones midday. There are a few dead-end side road runs that are worth doing too, with a few being rather tight. Typically, they are signed such that one should not attempt with a huge rig or trailer. Lots of places to escape the crowds too if one will just do a little hiking.

Around a few of the larger facilities there are some evening presentations on things like geology, wildlife, wolves, fire history, etc that are interesting and informative. Fishing can be quite good, but it's a bit challenging as the trout are extremely educated in the roadside runs.

Also, some warm clothing as one will be out at 5 to 8,000 ft of elevation.

For sure bring your cameras with both wide angle, long glass, binos, and a spotting scope if possible. If one does not own big glass, there are companies that will rent out long lenses.

Sometime around Jackson, the Tetons, and a ride up the lift are also worthwhile.

Yes, on the golden age passports. Gets the whole carload in for free.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/10/24.

1Minute
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Last year we rented a house in Idaho visited the park and the Hole a few times , hiked a bit , fished the Henry Fork, horseback rode in Harriman. Pretty country and would visit the north and Cody on another trip.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Don’t feed the bears.😆

I was lucky enough to see a grizzly my first time there. It was less than 50 yards.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.