Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I hear a lot about Newfoundland , but rarely about New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.. Is the moose hunting good there too, or not so good. I don't know much about the whole region, but my dad was stationed in Newfoundland , and that's it.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New Brunswick has great moose hunting. Lot of moose per square mile compared to Alberta or BC. Problem is the season is only 5 days, but that is an improvement from the 3 day season that ran for decades. Bigger bulls on average than Newfoundland, actually some pretty big bulls have come from there.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I agree with bushrat. When I was stationed in Chatham, we used to hunt just off the Plaster Rock/Renous Hwy (108), but more toward the western side. We were successful one year and skunked the other.

This was back in the 1980s, and I am sure that a lot has changed, but getting a licence involved showing the game guy that you could hit an 8.5x11 piece of paper at 50 yards.

While you certainly can get shots farther than 50 yards, almost all of NB is heavily forested, with 99% of the population along the edges. The arrows indicate the Plaster Rock Hwy (formerly 108). It was decommissioned years ago, and this is old news to anyone living down there. I think Irving had the hwy built. It was a dangerous ride because they did not maintain the hwy and vegetation grew up to the edges of the road. The paved portion was not kept up either. I lost a friend on that road to a moose. It came out of the bush as he was passing on his motorcycle. frown

Maybe SuperCub can suggest an outfitter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
I hear a lot about Newfoundland , but rarely about New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.. Is the moose hunting good there too, or not so good. I don't know much about the whole region, but my dad was stationed in Newfoundland , and that's it.

Getting tags for moose here in NB is done through a draw system. I know folks who have gone more than 20yrs w/o getting a tag. I've been here 39yrs now and have only been drawn 3x.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/nr-rn/pdf/en/Wildlife/MooseNonResidentFactSheet.pdf

I'd go to NFLD and go that route. I went over during the covid border closure (no none CDNs allowed) and had a great hunt. I'd there again in a minute. There were 5 in camp that week and all shot a moose plus another guide shot one and the camp cook shot one. I love NFLD.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Dang cool Supecub. I always hear about Newfoundland .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by ihookem

Getting tags for moose here in NB is done through a draw system. I know folks who have gone more than 20yrs w/o getting a tag. I've been here 39yrs now and have only been drawn 3x.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/nr-rn/pdf/en/Wildlife/MooseNonResidentFactSheet.pdf

I'd go to NFLD and go that route. I went over during the covid border closure (no none CDNs allowed) and had a great hunt. I'd there again in a minute. There were 5 in camp that week and all shot a moose plus another guide shot one and the camp cook shot one. I love NFLD.

If I was still living in NB I would be applying every year, but Newfoundland would be the place to go for sure. Quebec is expensive for non-residents.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How expensive is a hunt up there?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
SuperCub will be able to tell you what it costs where he went.

Here are some outfitters and their posted rates.

https://nextridgeoutfitters.com/pricing
https://newfoundlandmoose.com/rates-info
https://bucklakeadventures.com/rates
https://redindianlake.com/rates

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
SuperCub will be able to tell you what it costs where he went.
I got a deep discount the year I went as it was during the covid and border restrictions did not allow any Americans to come into Canada. Those rates no longer apply.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Which outfitter did you use, Paul? So much area there with some fine animals!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Which outfitter did you use, Paul? So much area there with some fine animals!
I went with West Woods Outfitters. I chose them as they are close the the ferry at PAB and had good reviews. My ferry trip back to NS was cancelled (weather) and had to go one day later. They let me stay in camp one night extra free of charge. They treated me very well.

One thing about them is the the moose were smaller. They said they sell moose hunts, not trophy hunts. I'd choose them again without a thought.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A handful of us are going to Newfoundland this October and we're using West Woods. $7000 for a 5 day hunt.

I've never been there before, so wish me luck.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/14/24.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
A handful of us are going to Newfoundland this October and we're using West Woods. $7000 for a 5 day hunt.

I've never been there before, so wish me luck.

Great choice. Wait till you meet Grace. She will feed you to death and nothing but the best.

Funny story about her. I shot my moose on a Tuesday taking a small bull given the weather coming in for the rest of the week. On Wednesday about noon I was dressing my moose on the game pole which was around the corner on the driveway to the camp. You cannot see the camp from the game pole. A shot rang out from the camp and all you could hear was Grace loudly exclaim ..... "I gots me moose!" It was hilarious and she did in-fact shoot her moose from the camp with her apron still on.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know there are a few bad eggs, but I have never met a Newfoundlander I didn’t like. 🙂

Good people to work with, socialize with, and in the military at least, trustworthy.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.