Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Educate me on these rifles please. Is the price justifiable by the rifle? Are they really that much better than a ruger no 1? What makes them so expensive? I’m asking because a shop about an hour from me has one used with a zeiss optic for sale. It’s in 280 rem and looks to be in excellent condition for around 5 grand. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are a more refined rifle than a Ruger, for sure. A couple people here have them. No visible screws on the action, and (usually) better barrels than Ruger. The wood I think is over-graded, on most of the Dakotas. Not as nice a rifle as a Soroka or Martini, but very neat rifles.

I'd like to have a M10 in 7mm Dakota - assuming I can also find brass or ammo at the same time. Parkwest is selling them again, prices start at $12k. As DSC they told me they were hoping to have some Dakota brass and ammo in the future.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
They are a more refined rifle than a Ruger, for sure. A couple people here have them. No visible screws on the action, and (usually) better barrels than Ruger. The wood I think is over-graded, on most of the Dakotas. Not as nice a rifle as a Soroka or Martini, but very neat rifles.

I'd like to have a M10 in 7mm Dakota - assuming I can also find brass or ammo at the same time. Parkwest is selling them again, prices start at $12k. As DSC they told me they were hoping to have some Dakota brass and ammo in the future.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-model-10-7mmdakota.cfm?gun_id=102566660

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you don't buy the Model 10 280 would you please PM me the name of the seller?

Thanks.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by limabean
Educate me on these rifles please. Is the price justifiable by the rifle? Are they really that much better than a ruger no 1? What makes them so expensive? I’m asking because a shop about an hour from me has one used with a zeiss optic for sale. It’s in 280 rem and looks to be in excellent condition for around 5 grand. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
If you don't buy the Model 10 280 would you please PM me the name of the seller?

Thanks.

JMHO,

IMHO, a rifle is worth what someone is willing to pay in cash.

One sees Ruger #1's for $1,100 to $2k probably in a ratio of 20 or 30 to 1, compared to listings of Dakota's 10's

One seldom sees a Dakota Model 10 with (most likely Talley Bases and rings worth +/- $125) and a Zeiss Optic, whose value could be $350 up, depending on the model, under $5K.

If you could buy it for $4,900 out the door, you'd effectively be in the rifle for +/- $4,400 or less depending of the value of the scope.

Gordy's in Houston, Tx had a number of M10's in the past. IIRC the base price model was $7,999. I figure 60% of MSRP(+/- $4,800) is a fair consumer price.

If it is a case colored model, the figure that comes to my mind is add $400.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Are they a much better gun than a Ruger #1. If one was to intentionally decide to destroy each, the Ruger #1 would be the winner as it is much more robust rifle.

Mine chambered in 7mm-08 is svelte and petite.

It balances and carries like a dream.

The majority of my shots are 120 yds or less

I have taken a number of critters with it.

The only perceived negative IMHO is that it can be difficult to extract a spent cartridge. I shoot single shots a lot. Where I hunt, most time one only gets one shot. Consequently speed of reload is not particularly important. My experience is that with low mounts, one must pull on the rim of the cartridge with your fingernail.

I have found it advantageous to hold the rifle barrel upward to let the shell fall out.

Anywho, best of luck in your pursuits.

Ya,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/09/24.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thank you geedubya, beautiful rifle you have there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s in 280 rem and looks to be in excellent condition for around 5 grand.

The last Model 10 I was watching at auction went for $5,288 so the above price is not out of line with what I've seen: https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/88/3639/dakota-arms-model-10-single-shot-rifle

Last year there was a thread on this particular model that had some nice photos in the later pages. You might find it interesting if you haven't seen it as you try to decide whether to part with that amount of money: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18286665/1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
They are nice guns but at that kind of price point I might start thinking a Merkel K3 or a Blaser K 95. Hell for stout actions, beautifully machined and in the K95, the ability to swap barrels, albeit at an "ouch" barrel price.

RAS

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you geedubya, beautiful rifle you have there.

One more thing I forgot to mention.......

Do not know if it is true or not as I've not tried to prove it.

IIRC I have both heard and read that pulling the trigger on the Dakota 10 on an empty chamber can damage/break the firing pin/assembly. I always have a spent cartridge in the chamber except when hunting and the rifle is loaded with a live round. I guess I should buy a snap cap, but rather mark and X with magic marker on a spent case.

Best,

GWB

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well I went to the shop and someone had already put it on layaway. Probably a good thing since I didn’t need to drop that kind of money on a rifle.

Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have several Ruger #1's and have used that action for 3 builds. Last summer I bought a Dakota M10 off a member here. It's a gorgeous rifle in 6.5X55 with case colored action and exhibition wood. It was much more than $5K but IMHO worth every penny.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow, you’re right about that.

DF

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm a single-shot fan & have always admired the Dakota 10's but the prices are definitely way out of my budget! But I always look them over & ask a lot of questions at the DSC & NRA conventions. I've never seen one at a gun show & I've been to some really big shows here in Texas. One comment that I've heard a couple of times, is to never dry fire the Dakota 10 as that can break the firing pin. Just FWIW from the sales guys at the conventions.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't know why Dakota always or so it seems put that big ugly black recoil pad on their guns. It's just butt ugly and not needed for the most part. Fortunately the previous owner of the gun I bought had a leather covered pad done.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Snagged this one yesterday.

Custom Build on Dakota 10 Action, 26" Pacnor Barrel, 405 Winchester

Hope to have it in soon.

Ya!

GWB

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yo list of fancy toys is growing.

I like that one.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Those are some very nice rifles!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice snag there GWB. I have a #1 in 405 and love it. That will be a pig killer extraordinaire.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have only had one 10 in my life. It was chambered in the “Bob” and was a dream to carry and shoot. The wood was ok but not nearly as fancy as The ones above. It shot pretty well but I just did not hunt much with it. As I recall, I was told to not dry fire it at risk of damaging the firing pin. I just sold it last year at a decent profit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You can probably find a Browning/Winchester Low Wall in .260, .243, 6.5 CM, or 6.5x55 if you look around for a bit. Some of the Brownings have very nice wood. Not a Dakota by any stretch of the imagination, but slimmer and more attractive that the Number 1s IMO, and much less money than a Dakota, even at crazy Gunbroker prices.

You should avoid snapping those on an empty chamber too btw.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.