Print Thread
Hop To
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Does anyone know if you can replace the old "T" Handle Collet assembly from a Trimmer 2 with the newer Lever operated assembly with Shell Holder Plates of the TrimPro 2? The bases sure look close.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know, the base on the old trimmers sure look like they're the same as the new model. I guess you can call them and ask.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the picture if you look at the back ears the collet barrel looks to be longer and lesser diameter than the trim pro. I would say no. If it were possible I am sure RCBS would have put out a conversion kit.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
By the picture if you look at the back ears the collet barrel looks to be longer and lesser diameter than the trim pro. I would say no. If it were possible I am sure RCBS would have put out a conversion kit.
I'm all but certain they did when the lever setup first came out. But I don't see it on their website now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I'm all but certain they did when the lever setup first came out. But I don't see it on their website now.

From 2003 RCBS catalog. And this is why I hoard! smile
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if you're wanting to use the universal spring-loaded jaws instead of shell holders, but RCBS says the conversion kit they have for that won't work on a Rotary Case Trimmer-2. https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/trim/trim-pro--2-shell-holder-conversion/16-90368.html

S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks a million!!! I don't get consistent results with the Collet "T" handle system. It looks like we have a winner! I couldn't call RCBS over this weekend and figured no one there would know about anything that old anyway. I knew someone here knew!

ETA: Thanks I have zero interest in that universal shell holder accessory. I am a firm believer in if it fits everything it actually fits nothing (perfectly).

Last edited by sbrmike; 02/11/24.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, I put the lever shell holder on my rotary trimmer many years ago and converted it to a Trim pro. It was a long time ago. I just looked it over carefully. I do not see that I had to make any modifications. Perhaps the purchase of a longer bolt.

But you have to purchase a separate shell holder for each class of cartridges. One for belted mags, another for 308/30-06 families, and another for 223 class cartridges, as well as a shell holder for all the different sized pistol cartridges. I load 327, 9mm, 38 super, 10 mm, 41 mag, and 45 ACP.

RCBS now makes a universal shell holder which is spring loaded, and fits the various sized cartridges. I use this shell holder on my RCBS priming tool and am very happy with it.

It is available for the trim pro. This is the way I would go today. https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/trim/trim-pro--2-shell-holder-conversion/16-90368.html
[Linked Image from rcbs.com]

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 02/11/24.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
RCBS now makes a universal shell holder which is spring loaded, and fits the various sized cartridges. I use this shell holder on my RCBS priming tool and am very happy with it.

It is available for the trim pro. This is the way I would go today. https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/trim/trim-pro--2-shell-holder-conversion/16-90368.html
As I posted earlier and is shown in your link, RCBS states it won't work on the Rotary Case Trimmers. Only on the Pro model.

ETA- even if it can be made to fit, the OP would still have to buy the discontinued conversion kit with the handle, then buy the universal one. At that cost he might as well buy a whole new trimmer kit. Not to mention he posted he wasn't interested in the universal jaws.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 02/12/24.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The body on my Trim Pro conversion APPEARS to be identical to the photo above. As you can see the photo above even includes the slot and drilling for the lever and pin.

It APPEARS that the universal chuck has simply been affixed in place of the prior shell holder.

I see a universal chuck in my future. I am sure that I will just lift the Trim Pro conversion off the body of my trimmer and bolt on the universal chuck. If it does not work out, I will send it back.

If they refuse the return, I have gambled much larger sums.

This is the one I had.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

I converted it to the Trim Pro. Which is supposed to be compatible with upgrade to the Universal Shell Holder.

[Linked Image from blackhawk.com]

I do not see why you could not skip the intermediate step.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not see why you could not skip the intermediate step.
The universal jaw conversion kit doesn't include the lever, does it? How do you fix that? That could be the reason RCBS states it won't work on the Rotary Trimmers. Already having the lever, knock yourself out. But without it, gotta do something to make it work.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The universal jaw uses no lever. You just slide the cartridge under the spring loaded jaws. My RCBS primer tool has the same chuck and it works well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The universal jaw uses no lever. You just slide the cartridge under the spring loaded jaws. My RCBS primer tool has the same chuck and it works well.
Below is a link to the Trim Pro with the universal jaws. On this linked page you can find the manual. I suggest you read it so you can see it does indeed use the lever.

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/case-prep-kits/trim-pro--2-manual-case-trimmer-kit/16-90366.html

You can see this guy's hand clearly on a lever.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 02/12/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read the instructions on the link above or below

https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware....Trim-Pro-2-Case-Trimmer-Instructions.pdf

Lever is necessary to release the jaws.

Swifty
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I guess I stand corrected.

My priming tool has no release mechanism. You just slide the rim of the brass under the chuck. The spring loaded chuck appears identical from the pics.

[Linked Image from adorama.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For anybody wanting to switch to the lever-style, might be worth checking to see what this seller has. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...198598/fs-rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-kit

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (907brass, AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,577
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.