Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
ihookem Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I am going to buy a .223 Rem compact very soon. My gun shop has a Ruger Ranch in .223 rem and a Weatherby Vanguard compact. Most think the Weatherby is a better gun. Can the barrel be replaced on both? Some say they are pressed on and when the barrel is shot, that is it. I like both. Te Weatherby is $620 and the Ruger is $535. What gun is better , and why?

Last edited by ihookem; 02/10/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ll just say my experience with multiple Ruger rifles, they have accuracy issues. I have not tried a weatherby vanguard.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The WBY rifle is probably going to be heavier than the Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree with both above.

In campfire tradition, I’ll ignore the OP,
And go to what I’d prefer.
Tilka

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Vanguards are good. They are heavy though.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ruger ranch if its a gen 2. Can't go wrong with either though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much as I like Howas, the Vanguard .223 in a short action is an anvil. I bet the twist is a 1-9” too, if that matters to you. I had a SS one and it shot well, but it was just too damn heavy for a “little” rifle, just as my very nice Ruger Hawkeye was. The American Gen 2 is a pound lighter. I don’t like the giant magazine much though.

Consider a Howa Mini instead with a $175 hinged floorplate from Jefferson Outdoor. It’s scaled to the cartridge, and if you want to spring for a lighter stock later on, you can end up with a 6 pounder, if that matters. If weight isn’t an issue, then the Vanguard would be my choice, mostly for the hinged floorplate.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
To actually answer the barrel question: both are threaded and can be changed. The Ruger has a system similar to savage.

The Weatherby/Howa is a good rifle, but the American in 223 comes in a better format off the shelf, if twist, weight, magazine options, etc are a concern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If weight isn’t an issue, then the Vanguard would be my choice, mostly for the hinged floorplate.

This.

Do you want a removable mag or prefer a hinged floorplate?

Remember the Ruger will have a blade in the trigger if that bothers you. Weatherby has a pretty nice 2-stage trigger.

I prefer a little weight to my rifles to keep me steady as I don't have to hike mountains or anything where weight is a concern.

My pick would be the Weatherby.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
I am going to buy a .223 Rem compact very soon. My gun shop has a Ruger Ranch in .223 rem and a Weatherby Vanguard compact. Most think the Weatherby is a better gun. Can the barrel be replaced on both? Some say they are pressed on and when the barrel is shot, that is it. I like both. Te Weatherby is $620 and the Ruger is $535. What gun is better , and why?

The Ruger Ranch is more utilitarian. Someone said they don't shoot well, that is hogwash. The majority of the RAR ranch rifles I've shot (especially recently), have shot lights out. 1/2-1" groups at 100, and around 2-3" at 400 yards. The only downfall is the RAR is going to feel a little more clunky in the hands, because of the AR mag that hangs down. The RAR also seems like a more reliable and robust system, as I've had some extraction issues with the Weatherby vanguards. The RAR is not going to feed as smoothly as the Vanguard though. It's going to boil down to what you can live with, regarding both rifles, as they are both not really my cup of tea. Like someone else said, get a Tikka, but that wasn't the question..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Ruger's bane is schit magazines. They should be AICS,instead of Krunchenticker. Hint.

The Howas are fine,but take the RPM,though mag COAL can be manipulated. Hint.

Neither are done worth a fhuqk and both an easy pass. No big deal to rebarrel either. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I think Ruger (and others) do have an AI mag conversion, if you want? It boils down to if you want traditional, with a floor plate or detachable mags and more modularity? For AR-compatible cartridges, I don’t have much need for a traditional platform. You might prefer that. Some folks need short, threaded barrels, more magazine capacity and options, etc…..while worrying over aesthetics or how long they can load heavies and such becomes irrelevant for their intents….which are opposite to others. Your gun for your use, but they’re different platforms in those ways…..at least the ranch version.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ruger assuredly does NOT go AICS in 223. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint.

A 8" Tikka S/S CTR 223,stands in tall cotton,or simply going CTR DBM on a Teeker S/S Sporter. Like this. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

AICS is plausible in Teeker too. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a full size V2 and a couple of Gen 1 RAR-Predators in 223. Both styles are good shooters, but heavier than I prefer for a walking varmint rifle and lighter than I prefer for a colony varmint rifle. Since I don't have any need of a high capacity magazine in a bolt action rifle, that feature is a negative attribute for me. You need to determine which rifle's ROT will work with the longest bullets that you plan on using. The ROT on both rifles handles the longest bullet that I shoot in them, the 69 grain Sierra BTHP Matchking.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My .308 Vanguard's bolt is Cerakoted and the barrel is fluted. It warms up after 3 rounds (fired relatively quickly) and then the group opens up... I like it for hunting, but it's not a fun gun to shoot at the range because it needs a break between shots to maintain precision.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Lots of good posts everyone.. I am still not sure though.. I like real light rifles , and have a Ruger American compact in .243Win. and I like it a lot. I can get up in the trees with my stand very easy. I plan on shooting the .223 rem I want for targets, rare coyotes , and deer hunting so the Ruger for deer cause I hunt in such brushy cat tails ETC, or the heavier Vanguard for targets.. Not sure yet.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I bought my grandson a Ranch in .223/5.56. I can't stand the long magazines hanging down below the stock line on bolt rifles. A call to Ruger had a standard mag well and flush fit magazine on the way.

Unscrew a couple of bolts and swap out the bottoms. We haven't had any problems with the standard magazine. It's much handier carrying it in hand without the AR mags.

I've mounted a Bushnell Prime 1-4x24 with the illuminated #4 reticle. Grandson is doing a really fine job shooting it. Hopefully next season we can get a deer to cooperate.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I never could figure out why they have such a long magazine on a bolt.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I tried a Weatherby Vanguard .223 once, Heavy, clunky, Loud operating and so so accuracy with a gritty trigger. Worst part was Resale, couldn't sell it even for a resonable price. Ended up giving it away. A lesson I didn't really want to learn.
Tried the Ruger RAR next and it filled the truck gun category just not eloquently, so traded it and got away from those mags I didn't care for.
Bought Tikka T3 and got everything I should have started with, lightweight, quiet simple mags, clean break adj trigger, smooth quiet bolt operation, replaceable barrel, and a true measure with a strong resale market. I have quietly skipped a shell into the chamber with a called coyote standing there.
I understand a budget as well as anyone, so getting the right one first saves more in the end, I'm a great example of learning the hard way.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks, Tripod, I might go with a Tikka t3x light,, or something like that.. I always bought the better professional tools , be it my carpenter tools, or chainsaws, or tires. More expensive at 1st is many times turns out to be cheaper, and you have quality the whole time you own it. I have a Ruger American compact in .243Win.. I use it for cat tail marshes and ambush deer up in trees. I need compact . It is not real accurate but good enough for 50 yds . Later, Ihookem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

739 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,977
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.