Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Were parker hale mauser's based on a large ring 98, I am not at home to measure but will a parker hale barrel fit a BRNO 98 action?

GB1

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Depends on whether the Brno 98 is a Large or Small ring action. Also depends on which PH the barrel came off of. The majority of PH's used LR actions, the most notable exception being the Hussar which used a ZG47 action. It being neither LR or SR threaded.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The BRNO is for sure a large ring action, is there a thread difference

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by captjohn
The BRNO is for sure a large ring action, is there a thread difference

Again, it depends on which Parker Hale action the barrel came off of. Assuming it was a large ring 98, then yes, the threads would be the same as on the Brno.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
ALL my several Brno Model 21 and 22, early postwar sporting rifles as by couple of ZG47 rifles are most definitely small ring defined as of smooth, non-stepped sidewall with "step" to larger ring. These receivers were Not end of war surplus Reich era production. All of the bolts of a strictly commercial fashion "flat carbine" descriptor style. Should anyone doubt my information, I can furnish a few file photos! These rifles collectively were dated from 1947 into 1951.
As for Parker Hale, no commentary as 'none' under my watch.
Best!
John

IC B2

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes, do show us your Small Ring ZG47 please.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I believe towards the end of their manufacture some of the 21/22s (small ring) were supplied with zg47 style safeties and a round bolt handle. Never ran into one myself, but that could be some of the confusion that is Brno!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I believe towards the end of their manufacture some of the 21/22s (small ring) were supplied with zg47 style safeties and a round bolt handle. Never ran into one myself, but that could be some of the confusion that is Brno!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hey Z1R... You show me yours, I'll show you mine. Oh, cancel that - wrong gender! smile smile smile
Dang these pix limits. A small montage as taken from both rifles = same models both in 7x57 and 221 is vintage 1951, other is 1950. Marked in English: Made in Czechoslovakia. Butt plates are finely checkered steel bolt handles flat. Bottom metal is of "shotgun pattern trigger bow as ornate but separate in a fancy sporting fashion. Lightweight, good handling. I have European scope & bit tall mount for one as fitting either of course! What else... Except to say quality product.

Concerning "round bolt handle, 'IF' with guide rib, no comment. If without guide rib then I believe late war or early CZ post-production. I have once such bolt. Minty-as new, that came with a CZ military model and 01.66 dated 7.61 NATO barrel. That bolt didn't work well in the thumb cut style action as getting hung up in closing right at the said "cut". Replacing with proper guide rib bolt in as action intended for such, instantly cured the problem as headspace yet to be determined... smile

I've included pix of the bolt shroud and unique safety configuration.

Best!
John

Attached Images
R221-3.jpg (25.94 KB, 128 downloads)
R221-5U.jpg (21.11 KB, 129 downloads)
R65-4U.jpg (25.49 KB, 129 downloads)
R65-13.jpg (27.14 KB, 129 downloads)
R221-12U.jpg (31.18 KB, 129 downloads)
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Still waiting for a pic of that SR ZG47

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by captjohn
Were parker hale mauser's based on a large ring 98, I am not at home to measure but will a parker hale barrel fit a BRNO 98 action?
Are Parker Hale actions not Santa Barbara mauser?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plumbdog;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day down in Florida is seasonally appropriate and tolerable and that you're well.

As z1r mentioned above, the Hussar action was a Brno made one.

They also had a line of converted Lee Enfield barreled actions that were usually No 4 Mk 1 - I think?

Whether or not they built stuff on war surplus actions like Churchill did, again I've heard about some but can't recall handling one, so I can't say.

We see a fair few Parker Hale variants up here and like Husqvarna rifles, I've given up on attempting to ever speak in absolutes.

Just in the last couple years I've had folks show me Husky rifles that I had no clue they'd put together, but apparently they did, because there it was.

Back to Parker Hale, the last ones that were offered were Santa Barbara made Mauser actions, or better said any that I saw were.

They built one that took a detachable box mag that is of course unobtanium now. I've seen them at local gun shows for north of $200CDN.

Anyways sir, when I re-read all this, I see that once again I've introduced more questions than actual answers.

Sorry about that, but all the best with all the rest outside the Parker Hale realm.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dwayne,

I can't complain about the weather, it being 74 degrees (f) sunny and calm. A nice respite from the winds that push the tides out too far and make fishing (and boating) a little less enjoyable.

I've been watching a U Tube channel out of Kelowna, and am amazed at how pleasant that Okanagan Valley seems.

Well I'll be darned. I had no idea PH made rifles on so many actions. You learn something new every day unless you aren't paying attention!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Mr. Z, what's up? My assertion of small ring ZG47 models produced. Offer of proof in pix available upon request. Your request and my 'timely' fulfilment. Ball in your court. Foul! As cryptic non-response in game format altered in Childs' game portending, "I spy with my little eye..." Adult game of failure of ball in your court, as timely taking objections or exceptions to evidence tendered. The non-responsive cryptic remark of "awaiting"! A central precept in rules of debate and the military. Debate as" failure of meaningful response" taken as presumption arisen of full acceptance of proposition asserted as valid as evidence presented as "conclusive" of that proposition. Military context of no gripes, "make your case or forfeit your cause and move on'! smile

Feisty old man here and for sure, the shame if you're not! A sad situation if you're a young whippersnapper and acting the part without either aged countenance nor cane to waive!
For me, coming away from an interesting Thread with neither "Point Set" in assertion even as humbled by "wrong", qw vqlu4e 'learning opportunity' for me; denied! Dang!

Best!
John

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Dad always said, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshot! Clearly you subscribe to the later philosophy.

Still waiting for that pic of a ZG47. You post a pic of a SR Brno 21/22 action and everyone is supposed to see a ZG47? Ok.

Back to plumdog's question, BC30Cal pretty well summed it up. PH make rifles on a great many different actions. I'm a Mauser guy so will confine my comments to them. Early examples were simply factory sporterized surplus 98's They then Gravitated to using a Commercial 98 action made for them by Santa Barbara of Spain. The also used a Brno made ZG47 action in their Hussar model.

The ZG47 used a unique rotating safety and had other features that distinguished it from the SR 21/22 series.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plumdog;
Top of the morning once more sir, I hope you're a whole lot warmer than we are and that you're well.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Very quickly on the Parker Hale Lee-Enfield sporter rifles, I need to recant the guess that they were No 4 Mk 1, as a quick look at another BC based YouTube channel showed an obvious Mk III complete with the military rear sight on the barrel, though the barrel might be shortened when they installed a different front sight.

Sorry about that sir, again the rabbit hole goes deeper and all that.

Another twist on the Parker Hale LE rifles, they usually came with a more or less flush 5 round magazine, which again up here goes for 5 times what we used to pay for an entire LE surplus rifle, but I digress.

Here's a video of a No 4 from them that made is south of the medicine line.

Finally, if you find one of that vintage, most of the recoil pads are really crusty now, so should you find one that has a recoil pad that isn't disintegrating, that's unusual in my experience.

On the Okanagan valley comment, we're the northern tip of the only real desert in Canada so it's been a tourist destination because of that for the past 50-60 years.

If you're so inclined and please feel free to PM me too, I'm curious as to which YouTube channel out of Kelowna you're watching?

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

edit to add;

Another Canadian YouTuber with a Parker Hale video.

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/16/24. Reason: schpell czech broked

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]
Don't worry, boys - I'm one of you.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 12savage, 61 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,684
Posts18,475,043
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.