Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I bought some JP Enterprises action screws to try out on my Sako L579:

[img]https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/SAKO-TRG-ACTION-SCREW-SET-p72243497[/img]

and since I built it with a blind magazine, there's a smaller (#8-32) screw for the front:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19201517#Post19201517

The one in the picture is a flat head screw that doesn't fit flush. I want an oval head (or maybe, the J&P's are dome heads? Not sure) hex drive , #8-32 (or the closest metric size) machine screw for the front of the trigger guard. Looked in McMasters-Carr, Fastenal and a number of other specialty fastener sites but nothing yet. Am I looking for something non-existent, or does someone offer such a specialized screw?

I'm willing to put some effort to avoid using the original slotted head screws.
Thanks!

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
How handy are you? Start with a standard hex/torx cap screw or flat head screw and re-contour it to the shape you want. Running it in a drill against a grinder would be one method. A lathe would make it easier. You mentioned the sources I would suggest so can’t help there.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not sure what you're asking for.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the 8-32 to fit flush with the trigger guards, I chuck it in my small lathe and simply face it off the amount needed to be flush or a bit below. The edges will be razor sharp at that point so I touch the sides about .010 to give it a flat outside edge. On a blued screw, a bit of cold bluing works great. I also do this on aluminum butt plate screws if needed. On this one, I used button head screws for mounting the plate but the center screw for the weight system is done as described for your trigger guard.

If you're looking for an exact domed head style screw to match the action screws...that's going to be a tough to duplicate. The Allen head screws on a Sako are a great upgrade. I do it on every pillar bedding job unless the owner specifies the original slatted screws be retained.

Hope this helps. smile -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Steven60

and since I built it with a blind magazine, there's a smaller (#8-32) screw for the front:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19201517#Post19201517

The one in the picture is a flat head screw that doesn't fit flush. I want an oval head (or maybe, the J&P's are dome heads? Not sure) hex drive , #8-32 (or the closest metric size) machine screw for the front of the trigger guard. Looked in McMasters-Carr, Fastenal and a number of other specialty fastener sites but nothing yet. Am I looking for something non-existent, or does someone offer such a specialized screw?

Thanks!
Take the screw that has the dome profile you like, chuck it up in a drill motor and shape it the way you want it.
You can run a peanut grinder (or Dremel) into it to speed up the process then go finer (read file, 0000 steel wool) and polish it to match your trigger guard.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Originally Posted by Steven60

Thanks!
Take the screw that has the dome profile you like, chuck it up in a drill motor and shape it the way you want it.
You can run a peanut grinder (or Dremel) into it to speed up the process then go finer (read file, 0000 steel wool) and polish it to match your trigger guard.

That's how I'd do it. No need to complicate things.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another way to do it would be to use a 8-32 button head screw.

Reduce the O.D. to fit the trigger guard recess and either spot face the screw recess in the trigger guard flat, cut a 82 degree angle on the back side of the button head to match the trigger guard angle or leave it and live with the angle-to-flat fit.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.