Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hi all,
Any recommendations on a product set that I can use to strip my wife’s walnut BDL stock and refinish it? The wood isn’t bad but tje clear coat is blistered and fish eyed.
Never done it before but as she has decided to actually hunt Africa with me next year I should pretty up her .280 for her.

Thanks

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of finish/paint removers that work. What I don't like about it is that it's put it on, remove the sludgy melted finish that does come off, repeat until all off. Messy and very hard to keep that mix from getting down into the bare wood.

If you're up to it, look into what I would call flat blade paint or finish removal. It's an old time way that they used to strip piano finishes off to re-do them. Basically using a sharp square edged tool that you just tilt at an angle to scrape the finish off.

I did a M70 that way and liked the outcome. Little tedious but not that difficult. Once I had all the finish off to the bare wood, I did the whole wet sanding process to fill in the open pore's and applied several coats of finish. I did tape off the stock and remove the finish in the checkering areas with finish remover.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Used to do it in shop class back in high school days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can still find Epoxy and Varnish remover at Home Depot I found it will take off just about anything if you follow directions carefully. Hang the stock in the garage over a bunch of laid out newspapers as it will get messy. Apply, let it set the recommended time, scrape off. Repeat if necessary. You may have some small areas that are difficult- I use a cabinet scraper for those areas and sand smooth when done.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like fine sandpaper. Do use sanding blocks, though to sustain flats and edges. No infusion of one's wood with whatever chemicals.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/11/24.

1Minute
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jasco - follow directions and wear gloves. You want the most complete removal of non-wood substance to minimize sanding to remove uneven staining, etc. Put it on checkering as well and use toothbrush to clean out afterwards.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I much prefer to scrape the Rem gloss finish off than melt it off with a chemical stripper. Just seems a better means to a better end for me.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Feral_American
I much prefer to scrape the Rem gloss finish off than melt it off with a chemical stripper. Just seems a better means to a better end for me.

Yep, how I like to do it. Everyone has their ways and whatever works, but I like scraping it off. Somewhat tedious but thorough.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve had great luck with CitriStrip. It removed the thick “plastic-like” finish on a Browning A-Bolt and it’s worked well for me for at least a half dozen projects in the past 20 years. It’s non-toxic and won’t melt your neurons if you get a snoot full.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spray on stripper, the nasty kind. melts through some plastic gloves. not friendly with skin. Stiff plastic brush for checkered areas. Let sit for 10 minutes then hose off with pressure nozzle. May have to repeat for stubborn poly finnishes. Let dry then sand.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Another vote for Citristrip. Just follow the directions. Works well. Leave the sanding blocks and sandpaper alone except for final sanding with very fine paper prior to finishing.
Good Luck,
Rick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Citristrip works ok just takes awhile, acetone works better, but for peel it off in a hurry, on a glossy Remington 700 a can of brake clean or carb cleaner accidentally sprayed on works best

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Jasco - follow directions and wear gloves. You want the most complete removal of non-wood substance to minimize sanding to remove uneven staining, etc. Put it on checkering as well and use toothbrush to clean out afterwards.

It's been years but this was my method.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like this approach and have used it with good results.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Yep, how I like to do it. Everyone has their ways and whatever works, but I like scraping it off. Somewhat tedious but thorough.

Those little, like 1" wide, replaceable blade paint scrapers work great, just keep the blades sharp and learn how to drag em back towards you. Works good on the large areas. The tedious part is close to checkering, and the grip wrist area. Have deployed a standard pocket knife pushed with my thumbs for that work. I've made convex scrapers for the lower part under the cheek rest out of 1/2" flat wood chisels ground to shape and bent 90 degrees with a blue wrench. I usually like to dress up that concave area anyway with a molding line so I don't worry too much how neat I am getting the poly off there.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The shiny finish on my 788 was all nicked up.
I removed the stock and sprayed it with carburetor cleaner, which caused the finish to lift and bubble. I scraped it off with a knife blade and lightly sanded the maple, and rubbed it in with linseed oil.
Turned out really nice too. I think I was out about $10 and a few hours time.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've done several of those, citristrip. Then I run the stocks through a hot dishwater with no soap. Doesn't affect the checkering, and will pull out a lot of scratches and dings. Then I hit with formsby tung oil until I get it where I like it and finish with a couple of coats of minwax clear satin wipe on poly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Citristrip works ok just takes awhile, acetone works better, but for peel it off in a hurry, on a glossy Remington 700 a can of brake clean or carb cleaner accidentally sprayed on works best

Similar for me:
Step 1 Citristrip
Step 2 Acetone
Step 3 sand paper.

For dings, instead of dishwasher, I use a damp cloth and hot iron.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mcshunatona
Hi all,
Any recommendations on a product set that I can use to strip my wife’s walnut BDL stock and refinish it? The wood isn’t bad but tje clear coat is blistered and fish eyed.
Never done it before but as she has decided to actually hunt Africa with me next year I should pretty up her .280 for her.

Thanks

Miles Gilbert refinishing kit. Really nice satin finish.

stock refinishing kit

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/12/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,346
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.