Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What's the consensus on the following solids for hunting Buff & Ele?

Woodleigh
Sledgehammer
Barnes

Keeping this restricted to solids available in factory loaded offerings. For hand loading, I hear North Fork and GS customs are the way to go. But unfortunately, sounds like NF will be closing....

GB1

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There are too many reports of trouble with the Sledgehammers to earn my confidence.

Woodleighs have worked fine in my 458wm on eles and buff at 2145fps and many who shoot the Lott have had equally good sucess. With Woodleighs and the Lott, you can go with 550 grain bullets at 2150fps as well, and those who use them on eles report excellent success.

With Barnes, I would look to the 500's, especially if your rifle has a fast twist barrel to stabilize the length.

North Forks have worked best for me, but I read that Mike is shutting down, too bad.

GS Custom make an excellent flat nose mono metal with an excellent reputation. I would try these before I used Barnes.

To meet the "factory loading" requirement, I would simply call Superior Ammo and have them load some samples for you and then load what you and your rifle like best.

Good luck,

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 01/01/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Barnes 450 grain Banded solids in my Lott to take three buffalo in Tanzania. I could not have asked for better performance. I have not used the others you mentioned so cannot offer an experienced opinion.

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting on the Woodleighs as I've heard numerous times that they perform best at 2100-2150fps in the Lott.

I may just have to get Superior Ammo to work up some loads with the NF Solids. Hoping I can get my hands on a couple boxes of bullets. Doubt I'll require more than that for my intended needs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're gonna hunt elephant, I'd strongly recommend a mono solid, preferably a flat nosed one, over a FMJ. The very best of them are the US made Northfork and the very similar RSA made GS Custom. - Both flat nosed solids. - Northfork is a lot closer to you, but I understand they have sadly ceased production. So GS Custom might be your only option. If you are going to use a FMJ solid, then Woodleigh are the best by far. However, they are very speed sensitive and you need to make sure you keep to the speed restrictions detailed on the box.

The two I'd recommend you avoid like the plague are the Rhino and the Trophy Bonded.

As JPK suggested, Superior Ammo will load anything you want.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The two I'd recommend you avoid like the plague are the Rhino and the Trophy Bonded.

Shakari, why the Rhino's????

As an aside, I have had good results with the 550gr Woodleigh Solids in my .450 Rigby (at about 2280 ft/sec). (4 elephant backed up by it so far, out of 16 hunted with them.) I aslo had good results with the GS Custom FN 500gr (copper bullets it seems) @ 2400 ft/sec., until I recovered 2 slightly distorted bullets out of the last 2 elephant shot with them. I now use the 550gr Woodleigh. Wish someonme will make a heavier than 500gr FN monolithic solid (brass, not copper preferably)....

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Usually I wouldn't buy Rhino bullets as I've seen a few clients have problems with them in the past, but last year I had to load ammo at short notice for Tanzania and I had to take what I could get and the only thing I could get were Rhino....... I'll try to keep this short.

I had two days to go before departure when I received a call from a buddy up in Tanzania asking me to take my new .404. So I had to get down to Sabi Rifles in Nelpsruit and take whatever they had........ which were Rhino. I loaded them that afternoon and that evening, I then tried to cycle them..... not a single round would allow me to close the bolt. Called Sabi Rifles the next morning and despite it being the busiest day of the week, they (God bless 'em) told me to bring everything to the shop and they wouldn't let me down. - When we got busy with the calipers etc it turned out the bullets were actually .424 and not .423. Not much of a difference, but enough. We then had to pull every round, machine off a thousandth of an inch and then resize the cases and reload everything. I just made it all in time and thought that was the end of my problems........ Remember these bullets were softs. They grouped well enough, but the first Buff that got shot was a big bodied bull, and the bullet entered under the tail and exited out of it's nose between the nostrils. The exit hole was the same size as the entry hole. The next two Buff that got shot with the rifle/bullets, both got hit transversally through the chest and the same again. - One of the bullets exited out of the side of the chest and through one tree of about 18 or 20 inches in circumference and three quarters of the way through another tree of the same size. The tracker recovered that one and other than the rifling marks, it could have been reloaded and used again. - Bearing in mind these bullets were softpoints, I'd call that damn awful bullet performance. That season, the rifle shot about 15 Buff and not a single bullet expanded at all.

Two companies showed stellar performance during all this. Sabi Rifles who built the rifle, bent over backwards to help me in my time of need and GS Custom who I called for advice on where I should look for the fault. Gerhard even offered to courier up some of his own bullets to me overnight if it would help. When I told him I wouldn't have time to get the payment made before he sent them, he told me not to worry about that and he'd wait for payment until I got home from the bush in 6 months time before I paid him! - You don't often see customer service of that quality huh?

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shakari

What's been your observations/experience with 500gn Woodleigh RN SPs on Buff please?

I will be using my 458 Lott at a planned 2250 FPS. I will also have Woodleigh 500gn Solids.....

mlg

Last edited by mlg; 01/02/08.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The only .458 solid I've used is the 500 gr. Trophy-Bonded 'Sledgehammer', and it worked perfectly. I shot completely through a Cape buffalo end-to-end with a 500 gr. TB out of my 458 Win. Mag. and one of the trackers found it in the ground after it exited the animal. It wasn't bent or distorted in any way, and I have it in my bullet collection. I also used the 500 gr. TB to shoot end-to-end through a zebra, and though both shoulders of a hippo. I simply couldn't have asked for better performance, and accuracy was superb as well.

AD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MLG

I like the Woodleighs very much but with that calibre on that species, you'll probably find the PSP has the edge on the SP. The SP won't penetrate quite as well - esp on a texas heart shot. On the left of the pic below is a woodleigh SP in .500 Jeffery (I usually use these on cats) that I used for a coup de grace on a Buff. It expanded brilliantly, but the shot was put into the spine at a range of about 1 yard - and it didn't quite exit. The PSP will perform better in a hunting situation.

Allen,

Interesting to hear you like the Trophy Bonded..... I hate the bloody things and have seen more of them fail than all the others put together. I had a client take a frontal chest shot on a MAGNIFICENT Buff at the end of this season. We have the shot on tape and you can see the dust jump where the bullet hit and the animal react etc. Everything looks good on the film..... but we never found the animal, despite looking for it for the next 3 days. - I can only assume bullet failure.

Another TB failure that always sticks in my mind was a client shot an eland with the TB solid. It went between the ribs on entry and failed to reach the other side of the body cavity and when we found it, the bullet had bent like a banana. Range was about 100 metres and calibre was .375 H&H.

In case anyone is interested, the other two bullets are GS Custom flat nosed mono solids also in .500 Jeffery...... but I can't remember what animals they were recovered from...... get an idea they might have come from Elephants though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shakari; 01/02/08.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My experience with those 500 gr. TB solids is limited to shooting paper and to shooting the three animals I mentioned. So my experience with them is anything but deep........

I could have shot more animals with them than I have and experienced problems, so I'm not going to stick my neck out too far in my endoresment of them.

For the present, I'm shooting 370 gr. North Fork Cup Point and flat-point solids out of my 416 Rem., and I'm going to use them for buffalo & hippo, etc., in Zambia this season. I've used these North Forks before in Tanzania, and they've worked extremely well, but again, my experience with them is limited, and it's likely that this is the last year I'll hunt with them.

AD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have much experience of the Northfork bullets but they have an excellent reputation..... and it's a damn shame they've stopped production.

The three types of bullet I've never seen fail at all are the Woodleigh,the GS Custom and believe it or not, the good old Winchester Silvertip which I always used to like for cats, - but I can't buy 'em for my 500. I've even used the Silvertip on Buff once or twice (through necessity) but I wouldn't recommend them for that species.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Spoke with Mike this morning and he is indeed no longer in the business. Was hoping I could secure a couple boxes, and even though he has remaining inventory, he felt it may not be in his best interest to sell them due as he wanted to avoid any potential legal issues as the company is no more....

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The three types of bullet I've never seen fail at all are the Woodleigh,the GS Custom and believe it or not, the good old Winchester Silvertip

shakari, the pictures you have of the 2 GS Customs from "I suspect an elephant", shows exactly why I stopped using them. They are distorted, and I do not believe they can be relied upon to penetrate straight anymore.
Then, with the risk of sounding VERY confrontational- your story of the Rhino's softs not expanding at all, I do not buy it whatsoever. The fact that they where "oversize" by 0.001 inch might have caused your reloading problems, and I will acknowlede that they had some quality control issues regarding consistent sizes and lenghts previously. This has probably made you mad at them, therefore the "story" about them not expanding. Also, your clients that have used it, and the story of the skinner recovering one, seems like an afterthought (Also the fact that the gentleman who started the post asked about solids, (Rhino makes a monolithic solid), and you a quoting softs "experience"). Please elaborate on the clients failures.

PS- What bullet is next to that 2 recovered GSC bullets?

Last edited by Karl Stumpfe; 01/03/08. Reason: spelling

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Karl,

sorry to hear you don't like the GS Custom bullets...... I guess these things are all down to personal experiences and taste. I love 'em to bits.

Regarding the Rhino bullets, I'm not sure I understand your comment about 'not buying' - unless your implying you doubt my word? - That's exactly what happened to me and that's why I won't buy any more. I appreciate the experience I mentioned related to their softs, but it was such an unwelcome suprise to me, I decided that it should be a case of once bitten, twice shy...... that applies to ALL their product range. You mention they previously had some quality control issues regarding consistant size and length. I guess I experienced some of that....... but I can't (and won't!) afford to take that chance with my, or my clients life. - All the while there's a choice of good, well made other bullets out there, why on earth should I accept second best.

Regarding the clients bullet failures, I didn't exactly make notes on them, but I hunted 2 SA clients in 2006 who had previously experienced problems with the Rhino bullets and also an English client who had (I believe) bought or borrowed some on a previous hunt in SA and also wasn't particularly enamoured of them.

I told the story of the other bullet in that post, but it is a Woodleigh SP. I usually use these on cats, however that one was used as a coup de grace shot on a Buff at a range of about a yard. I shot the animal through the spine from behind and it was recovered by the skinners, just under the skin of the sternum. It was posted as an illustration of why I prefer the (Woodleigh) PSP to the SP on Buff.

Hope that clarifies matters.

Last edited by shakari; 01/03/08.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here is the caption to the two FN bullets Shakari sent me two years ago:
"These two bullets were used for Texas heart shots on previously wounded Buffalo. Both penetrated the entire length of the animals and were found just under the skin of their chests. The one on the left hit and broke the spine (the animal was running downhill) and the one on the right hit below the tail/spine."

According to Shakari, both bullets gave linear penetration. From many other similar reports, It is obvious that the flattened nose on the GS Custom FN on the left, gave relatively better penetration because the nose flattened, the bullet shortened and it more closely resembles a cylinder. The perspective of the photo gives the impression that the bullet on the right is bent lengthwise. Fact is that there is not enough axial distortion of either bullet to cause any concern with me.

The small amount of distortion you will see on the front section of a recovered GSC FN (when they do not produce exit holes) will not influence the linearity of penetration. It is better to have a slight flattening of the meplat as that promotes penetration and increases shoulder stabilisation. Bullets that bend lengthwise are the ones that change direction inside the target. This has been reported frequently. Our testing as well as many field experiments and results since we launched the FN range, also back this up.

Bullets will react to the medium in which they penetrate in different ways. The obvious way to illustrate this is by keeping all else equal and shooting a steel plate and a bale of wool. My job as a bullet designer is to produce a bullet that will do the job in a hunting environment, no more and most definitely not less. Looking at a recovered bullet under magnification tells a lot about where it has been and what it has done. When a person has fired enough bullets into enough different types of media, it becomes difficult to fool that person about the media a bullet has encountered.

To those who subscribe to the idea that a solid bullet should be so tough that it must be reloadable upon recovery, I have some comment. Firstly, no matter how tough you think the bullet was after visual inspection, measurement will prove that no bullet would be reloadable after any impact with a game animal. It is a myth - been there, done that. Secondly, anything tougher than what is needed to complete the task on a game animal, will just wear out the rifle barrel faster. Karl said it well when he talked elsewhere about visualising a cloud of rifling following a hard bullet out the muzzle.

My personal opinion is that copper is a better solid bullet material than brass/bronze. Copper is more difficult to machine to close tolerances, wears out tooling faster than brass/bronze and is more expensive as a raw material but it makes for a better bullet. FN bullets made from brass/bronze could be considerably cheaper than those made from copper or, at the same selling price as copper bullets, afford the manufacturer a wider profit margin. I sometimes think that they would also be easier to sell because they "could be reloaded".

Karl,
I am relieved that you are no longer using the 500gr GSC FN in your 450 Rigby. As I said to you when you first ordered them, the 450gr FN will be better. The Rigby has a twist rate of 1:16.5" where the 458 Win and 458 Lott are 1:14". Due to case capacity limitations we recommend the 450gr FN in the 458 Win Mag. Although the Rigby has the capacity, due to the slower twist, we recommend the 450gr FN in the 450 Rigby. The 500gr FN can be used in the 458 Lott as it has the twist rate required as well as a bit more case capacity but, even there, the 450gr FN is better. That is why we had the conversation where I recommended the 450gr FN over the 500gr FN. If you are recovering 500gr FN bullets that are axially bent, it proves that they are yawing on impact. You must increase gyroscopic stability at impact to ensure a better transition from flight to tissue and this is done in only two ways. Increase rotational speed by increasing muzzle velocity and/or decrease bullet length. Both these requirements of course point to a lighter bullet - the 450gr FN. It is significant that the only people who have ever complained about the performance of our FN bullets, were those who did not follow the recommendations for correct use. How about giving the 450gr FNs a try?

It is nowise foolish to tilt at windmills, providing you learn to knock them down. - Jeff Cooper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gerard,

Thanks for correcting me. - I checked my photos and consulted my diaries and they did indeed both come from Buffalo. I apologise for any confusion caused.

FWIW, the one on the left was when I was hunting with an American client on the last day of his hunt and the other was a young Pakistani client, again on the last day of his hunt. Reading the diary refreshed my memory of both occurances.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Adding to my previous post, I've just found the two bullets concerned in my desk and when I laid they down and rolled them along the desk, there's absolutely no discernable axial distortion in either bullet.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Gerard and shakari, you are mostly missing the point. My first point was that I did not believe shakiri's story of his "problems" with Rhino, especially the part that states that the penetrated straight though a buafflo without expanding. (I did acknowlage that they might have been out of specs, size wise.) Hell, that is a terrific solid's performance! He himself has now shown how inaccurate his data can be, claiming elephants as the victims for those bullets, when in fact they where buffalo.

Then, have a look at this photo-
[Linked Image]

The bullets are as follows:
1) 9.3mm 286gr Woodleigh solid out of an elephant bull
2) 550gr Rhino solid out of a elephant bull
3)-5) 550gr Woodleigh solids out of elephant cow (chopped out of her neck, hence the axe marks to the nose), and another cow and a elephant bull.
6) 500gr GSC FN out of an elephant cow.

I had another one slightly more distorted at the nose, which I cannot find now. I never said that GSC does not penetrate very well, in fact I think I told the story of one of these bullets exiting on the cheek of an going away ele cow that was shot about 3.5 feet behind the shoulder. Gerhard your explanation that a slight flattening might be beneficial makes sense (you have much more knowlege about these things than I), but I am still hesitant to use it on elephant. (no problem on buffalo) What happens if that slightly too soft bullet hits a shoulder bone with only half its frontal FN? Will it still penetrate as one would wish? That is why I prefer the harder bullets. (and also the heavier bullets.)

Gerhard BTW, my rifle has a .458 WM barrel from Vektor, reamed to .450 Rigby, so it should have the 1-in-14 twist then? Then the 500gr FN GSC would not yawn? The picture shows a slight bending to the left? Why is not even the 550gr Rhino yawning? (A bullet I stopped using as it was really too long, even for the 450 Rigby case.) Also, where did I post that you could see a cloud of rifling?

Last edited by Karl Stumpfe; 01/06/08. Reason: spelling

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hold on Bwana, firstly, I said I wasn't sure what animal they'd been recovered from, but I thought it was Elephant, and as soon as Gerard corrected me, I acknowledged my mistake and apologised for any confusion caused.

Secondly, you've just called me a liar on a public forum. I'm the straightest guy you ever hope to meet - hell, I can't even bring myself to wear a copy watch, let alone anything else....... However, I was there, and you were not, but there is something I can do something to prove my case. I won't give names etc on a public forum, but I'll PM you the name of a well known PH who saw all 3 occurrances himself AND I'll PM you the name of the client, (actually the Father of the shooter) who is another well known outfitter in the Eastern Cape of RSA. I won't give you the phone numbers because if you do your own search on the internet you can be sure you're talking to the right person.

Once you've spoken to them and they've confirmed the facts I've stated, I'll be very interested to see if you have the moral courage to apologise to me on this same public forum........... I appreciate that convention time is rapidly approaching and it might not be easy to get hold of both parties, but I'm a patient man and don't mind waiting until they get home for your public apology.

Even if the lack of expansion were not true, and it is..... the size error would be enough to make sure I'd never buy another Rhino product again........ not even for a fishing weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.