-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think Corrections Officer would be near as bad as most think.
I know quite a few who do it, except for Blow Hards, most say it's not that bad.

It couldn't be as bad as I think it would be, I'd rather be test dummy for a discount
bungie jumping operation.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Armednfree: Sad deal that - my opinion, dealing with scum sucking slimeballs every day with no end and NO satisfaction from accomplishing anything, wears on humans.
I know.
My 1,100 man department had 11 men and 3 women commit suicide in the 29 years I worked there - and for much of that time (first 2/3's of my 29 years) extensive testing, background checks and mental evaluation was mandatory.
I advised ALL four of my VarmintChildren to seek employment careers outside law enforcement.
May she rest in peace.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It's not bad for me now. No nearly as it once was. Maybe in some ways I'm just hardened to it. In my case now I am the most senior officer at my facility. That comes with perks. I work in visitation as the shake down officer. I deal with about 36 inmates on most days. That's 18 in the morning and 18 in the afternoon. I have been in the position that the young officers are in now. At that time for me there was little tolerance for any mental issue. In fact is they (supervisors) knew someone was having issues they would push their buttons on purpose. I always found that a really sick mentality and never did anything but support. Today we have some mental health support. But he fact that we are so shorthanded that people are working multiple double shifts seems to be somewhat discounted. The state won't fix it, because frankly the only way to fix it is to give more money. They did a little two years ago and that helped, but it wasn't far enough. In fact, the Biden economy ate that up. My thought is to pay us the same as a State Trooper with the same retirement system.

Last edited by Armednfree; 02/11/24.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I know quite a few who do it, except for Blow Hards, most say it's not that bad.

It couldn't be as bad as I think it would be, I'd rather be test dummy for a discount

It's basically working in an insane asylum. Always some nutter screaming or smearing s hit on the wall.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
No missing or suspect inmates, coworkers that might have helped her with deed? Or, is there a 100% certainty it was a suicide?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It's basically working in an insane asylum. Always some nutter screaming or smearing s hit on the wall.

Like the Q thread, but real.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
The state won't fix it, because frankly the only way to fix it is to give more money. They did a little two years ago and that helped, but it wasn't far enough. In fact, the Biden economy ate that up. My thought is to pay us the same as a State Trooper with the same retirement system.

Does the corrections department have the same hiring requirements, education, and training requirements as the troopers? In Missouri, the Department of Corrections doesn't require even a high school diploma. The State Patrol requires a Bachelor's Degree.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sad deal.

If someone is that unhappy with their job- get a different job.

Yep

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sad deal.

If someone is that unhappy with their job- get a different job.

Yeah...that's not the problem.

I am MAGA.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Armednfree: Get your time in and get out!
And til then protect yourself at all costs.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
The state won't fix it, because frankly the only way to fix it is to give more money. They did a little two years ago and that helped, but it wasn't far enough. In fact, the Biden economy ate that up. My thought is to pay us the same as a State Trooper with the same retirement system.

Does the corrections department have the same hiring requirements, education, and training requirements as the troopers? In Missouri, the Department of Corrections doesn't require even a high school diploma. The State Patrol requires a Bachelor's Degree.

It does not.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

No way could I spend a career in a jail. It always gave me the nervous creeps to be inside our jail when I would deliver a prisoner and have to be inside for 30 minutes with the doors locked behind me. If I were looking at a 20 or 30 year career and be financially unable to quit I might go the shotgun route myself. I can only imagine the angst felt by someone with personal and financial problems and a job as prison guard.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Who knows what combination of things will bring a person to such despair.

No judgement.

Just sad.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I like hiring corrections officers for the most part. They seem to be a bit more comfortable in their own skin and aren’t as quick to use a “tool” to solve everything. Makes sense since they don’t have all the toys on the inside.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I like hiring corrections officers for the most part. They seem to be a bit more comfortable in their own skin and aren’t as quick to use a “tool” to solve everything. Makes sense since they don’t have all the toys on the inside.

Worst thing a baby cop can do is use a taser as a crutch. Time and place? Yes. But newbies try to use it every time....until they pop someone and nothing happens lol...then it's on with one hand to work with lol

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Like the Q thread, but real.

100%

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It sounds like we should just close them all down, and let them all go. Problem solved!

It doesn't matter who gets more votes, It matters who counts the votes.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Twopatch
It sounds like we should just close them all down, and let them all go. Problem solved!

I do have a solution to reduce the prison population. Every death row inmate or lifer should be given a second chance. That second chance is out of a c130 or 17, attached to a static line parachute, with the planes located directly over N. Korea, China, Russia. Or the ocean.

If they live, they got it made!

Or unlimited fentanyl inside the prison. No narcan.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/11/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC

I don't think PA Corrections ever needed a degree, but it used to be the best way
to get the job. PSP did require a lot of hours, not sure how it correlated into a degree.

A friend's son had just finished the required education last year, was going through the process to get into the academy, and the governor lifted those requirements!
Actually removed education requirements for a lot of state jobs.

A good thing, if done for good reasons. But he is a Demonrat...

COs get the same retirement package as PSP.
20 years and out.

Prisons have become a huge employer her.
There are 4 Pa State facilities within 40 miles,
plus a Maryland state and a Federal pen in Cumberland.

I haven't heard that overtime is such a burden on our system.
They work a lot, but I haven't heard any complaints.
No idea how their system works, I know they do a lot of overtime, they also
seem to be off work a lot. Seems like a week off every couple weeks.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my agency over my 34 years we had 3 Leo's from my agency who committed suicide. One was known domestic relate the other two the cause was not known. Our agency CID investigated but not a word was leaked out as to the Why. People knew what the cause was but to this day, years later. No cause was given. The rule is, If you say something about an issue, your done, out of a job. If you seek help outside the agency privately, and or medicated for that issue, your done. out of a job. If they drug test you and you do not disclose that your are medicated, your done. You have suffer in silence.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by cs2blue
In my agency over my 34 years we had 3 Leo's from my agency who committed suicide. One was known domestic relate the other two the cause was not known. Our agency CID investigated but not a word was leaked out as to the Why. People knew what the cause was but to this day, years later. No cause was given. The rule is, If you say something about an issue, your done, out of a job. If you seek help outside the agency privately, and or medicated for that issue, your done. out of a job. If they drug test you and you do not disclose that your are medicated, your done. You have suffer in silence.
Your Agency has a lot of work to do to be better by the sound.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.