Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Steve
Goddamnit! Just give me a shotgun and send me in!

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

Been to the Middle East a couple times. No real desire to go there again, or Eastern Europe for that matter. I’m more worried about what happens here in the coming years. Of course, many of you posting won’t have to worry about that. You’re already near the end of your road.

Again, I helped develop a hand held anti-drone 'gun' and wrote all the SW for it's first iteration. I know a little bit about the subject.

Tell me what you know about it.

Carpe' Scrotum

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It's amazing how it has evolved over the last two years. From retrofitted light duty stuff to the larger heavier payload stuff. It is more useful for reconnaissance. They are always coming up with new ways to get around jamming and stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Krazi
It's amazing how it has evolved over the last two years.

It floors me what is packed into them now.

My middle son has had a few, and the one he flies most now has a thermal camera and a laser rangefinder good to 1000 meters. He can laze targets at night and it instantly computes their GPS coordinates and elevation. Way, way ahead of what he had just a few years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Krazi
It's amazing how it has evolved over the last two years.

It floors me what is packed into them now.

My middle son has had a few, and the one he flies most now has a thermal camera and a laser rangefinder good to 1000 meters. He can laze targets at night and it instantly computes their GPS coordinates and elevation. Way, way ahead of what he had just a few years ago.

The range finder would sure help with calling in artillery.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How would the CIA keep someone from using a drone to drop a bomb on a presidential motorcade?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
How would the CIA keep someone from using a drone to drop a bomb on a presidential motorcade?

A shotgun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A shotgun.

Ha!

Carpe' Scrotum
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yup. You can't hide from them. If your in a bunker, you better be covered. You can't hear the small ones either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scary. But I’m thinking about how in WW2 , everyone was introducing automatic rifles into each squad of riflemen. That became necessary for troops to push forward, because breechloading rifles made it possible for defensive troops to keep up a good rate of fire without exposing themselves. Machine guns encouraged them to keep their heads down until friendlies could gain position.
The next war may well include each squad to have 2 of 3 infantrymen carrying scatterguns to cover their comrades from drones. It will probably involve a bloody learning curve, but then every advance in weaponry does until somebody figures out a way to beat it.
Barbed wire and trenches begat tanks. Tanks begat antitank guns and ground support planes. Pillboxes begat self propelled artillery.
It’s scary, but it can be defended against with some brains and courage.
Remember Goliath? A ten foot tall Philistine? Scared the hell out of the Hebrew Army!
But he was defeated by a little guy named David with faith, brains, and a sling, along with a healthy dose of courage!
There ain’t nothing the enemy can throw at us that can’t be overcome with faith, brains and courage.
Pedo Joe think F15s are enough to defeat the American People?
He oughtta read some history. I can see he’s never read a Bible!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Been to the Middle East a couple times. No real desire to go there again, or Eastern Europe for that matter. I’m more worried about what happens here in the coming years. Of course, many of you posting won’t have to worry about that. You’re already near the end of your road.

Again, I helped develop a hand held anti-drone 'gun' and wrote all the SW for it's first iteration. I know a little bit about the subject.

I’ve never shot down a drone. I think that would be a great field of study. Like so many other times in history, war can be the mother of necessity and hence, invention.

I’m sure the drone detection devise you helped develop is a great tool. Where can I get one? How much does it cost? How often do I have to charge the battery? Will it work if it gets dragged through the mud, dropped out of a truck, sits in the rain and morning dew?

Not saying your tool won’t be a game changer, but I’d still like a shotgun.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve never shot down a drone. I think that would be a great field of study. Like so many other times in history, war can be the mother of necessity and hence, invention.

I’m sure the drone detection devise you helped develop is a great tool. Where can I get one? How much does it cost? How often do I have to charge the battery? Will it work if it gets dragged through the mud, dropped out of a truck, sits in the rain and morning dew?

Well, it meets all the military specs and the battery life is 10 hours in detect mode and 2 hours of jamming/hijacking. Batteries can be hot swapped. It will stop a drone in mid flight and send it flying away from the person operating the unit.

It's military only and they're in the 5 figures.

Last edited by Steve; 02/11/24.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

A shotgun.

Obviously .gov will have the best. But what will YOU have when things get bad here? Maybe Steve can hook you up with one of his 10 pound drone detectors that’s won’t do anything for you when you need to clear a trench or take a house.

HA!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Well, it meets all the military specs and the battery life is 10 hours in detect mode and 2 hours of jamming/hijacking. Batteries can be hot swapped. It will stop a drone in mid flight and send it flying away from the person operating the unit.

Great. So your awesome device is an awesome tool for .gov. Great.

You ever given a piece of gear to a LCpl? Hope that thing comes with a good lanyard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are your night time shotgun skills?

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
10 hours in detect mode? Damn. So if I go out in the field for 6 days, how many batteries do I need? How much does a battery weigh? What are the size dimensions? Can I charge it with one of those cheap little solar panels?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How are your night time shotgun skills?

I’ve been know to blast a thing or two at night with a shotgun, but those instances have been targeting things that move on their feet and not wings..

Pretty simple solution to IR drones. Hole up at night. Not always possible, but that’s one way to avoid night time drone attacks.

There is no perfect solution here. We’re not talking about advanced military drones that .gov possesses. We’re talking about cheap, civilian drones fitted with rudimentary explosives.

Go watch these videos from Ukraine. They are nearly all day time attacks. Recently there have been more IR drones, but not on a large scale. I’m sure the IR drones are more expensive. This is a new way to wage war and we are watching the evolution of modern war in real time.

Regardless, a shotgun has been a useful tool in the battlefield for a long time and it can serve many purposes.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The people running the drones probably don't know a lot about weapon systems or IED's but hook them up with someone who does and look out. I would think things change weekly on the battlefield.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great. So your awesome device is an awesome tool for .gov. Great.

You ever given a piece of gear to a LCpl? Hope that thing comes with a good lanyard.

Reminds me of a joke about Army privates....

If you put 3 privates in a locked room with 3 anvils and come back in an hour, one anvil will be broken, one will be missing, and the other will be pregnant.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Fast forward about ten years.

Imagine a reasonable size shell or rocket flying toward DC that releases a few thousand dragon fly sized drones. The drones, which incorporate advanced facial recognition technology, fly into open windows at the US Capitol and seek out and kill US senators. The kill mechanism would be a .22 caliber device that detonates when it hits the senator's forehead.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Isn't there some kind of electronic jamming device that could render the control signal to these drones useless?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,374
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.