Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I never could eat plain kraut but a friend got me to try hot kraut he made with habaneros mixed in. I fell in love with that and got him to share the recipe. Usually cook it with Polish sausage
ETA:
The recipe I was given is a tablespoon of canning salt, half tablespoon of white vinegar with the quart jar packed tightly then cover with water. Place lids and rings on jars but don’t seal/tighten them. The jars will work for at least a month, likely more. Best to have a towel or pan under the jars to keep the mess to a minimum. Seal them when the fermentation stops.

Last edited by Firecontrolman; 02/11/24.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't care for it by itself. I do enjoy it with brats. rubens and pork.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right from the jar or can with a fork.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good sauerkraut is awesome but I’ve never tried making it myself. One day I will but for now I’m buying the Costco sauerkraut. I’m sure it’s nowhere close to homemade and I’m sure homemade sauerkraut is not as good as DigitalDans sauerkraut (Dans secret ingredient….add a half a teaspoon of napalm per quart) but it’s better than anything else I’ve tried. I have to have sauerkraut and red cabbage when I make a pork roast or Schnitzel otherwise it feels incomplete.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

Opened a jar of kraut just a few weeks back. Mighta come out of that same kitchen. It was great!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice work. The three boys are on their own, my wife won't touch it so it is a couple of Rubens a year for me when we are in Idaho for the summer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Making me feel guilty for not making any this season. Busy with an out of state hunt, then the shoulder surgery.

I have a couple heads out in the well house where it stays cool with the taters. I wonder if they might still be good, have to check tomorrow. Maybe now that I'm allowed to use the arm some I can whip up a few jars.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sauerkraut with a sore shoulder?

For chitts and giggles I made two whole heads into sauerkraut.
Saw it at a festival years ago, finally tried it this year. Having so much cheap cabbage, it was the perfect time.

Remove the heart,
fill the hole with canning salt,
put it in a non reactive container, (hole up)
make brine and cover the heads,
Weight them down.

Now I don't know what to do with it!

My vision was on Reubens, but it creates a sliding layer that makes them
harder to eat. The crunch is nice.
Thinking about cabbage rolls with them,
but when you change a classic....

Could always just chop it up, but that ruins the fun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by RHClark
Isn't sauerkraut fermented? Don't you stop the fermenting and kill the bacteria when you can it. All I have ever seen made was kept in a cloth covered jar because it is still fermenting.

Not the way we can it. You let it ferment until done......varies on temperature/humidity, and even cabbage from yr to yr, but usually around 6 weeks, sometimes longer. When we can it all we are doing is hot packing it........basically put it in a pot and bring the temperature up enough that when we jar it, it seals when it cools back down. We are not water bathing or pressure canning because of the acid in the kraut we don't have to get it hot enough to kill bacteria to be safe for long term storage.

I would think the bacteria are dead when you seal it, or it would explode. Good tasting I am sure, but the best health benefit is in eating the live bacteria.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh man that’s looks great! I love homemade kraut! My mouth waters just looking at it!

I’ve had poor luck making it myself. I have the slicer and the crock, but my kraut spoils in the crock.

My dad used to grow his own cabbage for it, Dutch White, which I can’t locate any to buy, but can any variety of cabbage be used to make kraut?

How long do you let it ferment in the crock?

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My wife makes a small batch of kraut every year. Water salt and ferments it in a crock.

We have a couple friends that raise cabbage. One has a commercial cabbage farm the other has a large dairy farm and raise all kinds of stuff. They keep us supplied in cabbage. We mostly eat it plain or on brats.

Fermented cabbage has some good health benefits. Between that and all the other fermented stuff I consume, I should be pretty well preserved.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ribs-n-Kraut time!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.cleanfoodliving.net/ Here's a resource for home made fermented foods.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
Oh man that’s looks great! I love homemade kraut! My mouth waters just looking at it!

I’ve had poor luck making it myself. I have the slicer and the crock, but my kraut spoils in the crock.

My dad used to grow his own cabbage for it, Dutch White, which I can’t locate any to buy, but can any variety of cabbage be used to make kraut?

How long do you let it ferment in the crock?

Make sure everything you use is clean
Cabbage, salt, stomp it until juice covers the cabbage.
Weight it down to keep the cabbage under the juice. Cover. 1 to 2 months 70 degrees is the perfect temp.
Cooler slows things down, warmer will make it stronger. Too warm could cause trouble.

Nasty mold on top is no big deal.
Carefully skim it all off, the kraut underneath will be fine.

Sauerkraut is the product of cabbage being consumed by a succession of naturally occurring bacteria. As waste from one causes a habitat unsuitable for it, it creates the perfect condition for the next. Each increasing the acidity. Eventually it’s no longer suitable for much of anything, and preserved.
This from a Microbiologist friend, who gave me heck for throwing away 5 gallons of kraut years ago. We forgot about it, and it was moldy when found. I dumped it in the garden, to find it seemed fine under about 3” of ugly stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Sauerkraut with a sore shoulder?

For chitts and giggles I made two whole heads into sauerkraut.
Saw it at a festival years ago, finally tried it this year. Having so much cheap cabbage, it was the perfect time.

Remove the heart,
fill the hole with canning salt,
put it in a non reactive container, (hole up)
make brine and cover the heads,
Weight them down.

Now I don't know what to do with it!

My vision was on Reubens, but it creates a sliding layer that makes them
harder to eat. The crunch is nice.
Thinking about cabbage rolls with them,
but when you change a classic....

Could always just chop it up, but that ruins the fun.

Yeah Dillon, the shoulder is sore, but not unusable for light weight stuff. My cabbage carving knives weigh less than the limit I'm allowed at this time. I can lift the head up to the counter with my fairly dumb left hand. Would hate to try slicing with that one, might lose a finger or two.

Haven't tried the whole head kraut yet. Not sure I've got anything big enough for it. I do have a big plastic food service container that I use to put the jars in to keep the juices from getting on stuff should they overflow when fermenting, that might hold a whole head.

Alaskajim, I've used a couple of different varieties of cabbage over the years. One I like as it seems easy to grow and gets pretty big is the Late Dutch Flat variety. Far as I know, when it comes to kraut, cabbage is cabbage and they will all ferment. Maybe there's some slight difference in taste? Now you've done it, I may have to do experimental taste tests one year.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
5 gallon plastic bucket.
Hit up a restaurant, sandwich place.
They get pickles and such in them.

If you know it's not scented or contaminated with something,
a plastic bag works. Just use it in a bucket or something to support it.

A good friend makes his in heavy, clear food grade bags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't made any in a couple years, but I like it made with 1/2 white cabbage and 1/2 red cabbage.
Gives it a beautiful color and even the kids like it.

Politics is War by Other Means
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That’s a lot of Reuben sammiches 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never in my 64 years tasted the stuff. Couldn’t get past the stench.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do 50 lb of it every year with my cabbage grows right otherwise it's seven or eight bucks a head around here I had a teaspoon of caraway seed to about every other head real light just so it's a hint of it in there

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 25 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.