Originally Posted by earlybrd
Pop quiz 🎉 what was Jefferson Davis prior to the war

Secretary of War
Yes👍

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Slavery goes on in parts of the world today but you don't hardly hear anybody speak of it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"But you fought all the way Johney Reb,"
Yes we did wabi

Damn, how old are you?

P
39😄

Ah, you’re one of those “we” guys.

What do you think about slavery? Was it right in 1860?

P
We ?

Answer the question. Was slavery right in 1860?

P
🤣🤣🤣🤣 I won’t around then and I don’t take orders from dumfuk yanky oreogunnys

Can’t bring yourself to say it was wrong, can you?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
The issue of slavery was a dead horse regardless, it was slowly dying, strangling under it own cost.
But certain fire eaters in the south refused to accept this, and they knew the only way to avoid losing money was to expand it into other territories.
Years ago I read a study conducted by someone who figured up the cost of subsidized manumission by the government versus to cost to the north fighting a 5 year war!
We would have been 5 or 6 times better off by buying them out and setting them free!😀
But it still riles me some to hear revisionist history claiming that the north waged a war for the purpose of freeing the slaves.
Lincoln in fact relieved 4 separate department commander for declaring slaves free in their department. Even after the emancipation proclamation took effect in the south, slaves still held in states in the union and southern territories under northern control were not effected at all!
Reon

Reon, Thank you for exposing at least part of the revisionist lies.

It really is annoying to listen to or read that garbage. You will never ever find a modicum of truth in the spittle the MSM (AND FAUX!) spew. And, it gets worse with every passing year.

I rarely find discussion of the Civil War to be the least bit inspiring any more.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sherman foraged and then destroyed everything he didn't take with him.

But he never condoned or ordered harm to the civilian populations of the south. Although it's hard to believe individual isolated terrible acts didn't occur, they were not the practiced or official policy of the Union Army under Sherman's command.

Sherman was a lot tougher and ruthless on the Indians of the west than he was the confederate populations of the South.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeoW
Pop quiz 🎉 what was Jefferson Davis prior to the war

Secretary of War

"After leaving the army in 1835, Davis married Sarah Knox Taylor, daughter of general and future President Zachary Taylor. Sarah died from malaria three months after the wedding. Davis became a cotton planter, building Brierfield Plantation in Mississippi on his brother Joseph's land and eventually owning as many as 113 slaves.

In 1845, Davis married Varina Howell. During the same year, he was elected to the United States House of Representatives, serving for one year. From 1846 to 1847, he fought in the Mexican–American War as the colonel of a volunteer regiment. He was appointed to the United States Senate in 1847, resigning to unsuccessfully run as governor of Mississippi. In 1853, President Franklin Pierce appointed him Secretary of War. After Pierce's administration ended in 1857, Davis returned to the Senate. He resigned in 1861 when Mississippi seceded from the United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Read the book War Crimes against Southern Civilians. There was no excuse for the behavior they displayed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winners always write the history books. Therefore, they tell their side of it, which usually means that the real side is swept under the rug. The North won the war, and those who teach history and write books have spent the past 160 years or so repeating the story that the North wanted told.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Mr Oreogummy Im proud of my heritage I can do a break down of evry Virginia regiment and evry battle my folks wuz in from bull run to Appomattox.
Plz list ur families contributions if you would oblige 😃

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The winners didn’t write the case of the lost cause. The losers twisted history to sanitize the truth. It was a devastating time in American history. Brave men died on both sides so the idea that “all men are created equal” could be realized.

IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bkraft
All very interesting. Until you remember Article VI Sec II of the Constitution, which is often referred to as the Supremacy Clause which states: when State law and Federal Law come into conflict, Federal Law prevails. So the Union viewed the Constitution as a binding contract, which Art.VI made it. The Confederate States viewed it as a "gentleman's agreement" that could be dissolved when one part felt wronged by the other. The rub to the Southern argument was that Art.VI was in the Constitution when their representatives signed it or when they were admitted to the Union. So clearly the South was in the wrong for secession and the firing upon Fort Sumpter. Regardless of what your unreconstructed Great Great Great Grand Pappy says.

Horsesheit!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Read the book War Crimes against Southern Civilians. There was no excuse for the behavior they displayed.

Well Duh!
That happens EVERY PHUGKING time you interface armed soldiers with unarmed civilians. It has happened in battle from the beginning of time. It is human nature.

Who was it that said, "Kill them all, God will take his own."

There is an evil fraction in any group of humans. The most evil tend to gravitate together. In ancient times it was anathema to kill gentleman officers of apposing forces, as those officers could be counted on to hold their savages in check after the battle was won or lost.

The Japanese savaged the conquered Chinese. Koreans suffered greatly at the hands of Japanese invaders. Every combatant force in WW2 slaughtered captured POWs when it was not convenient to move them back to Headquarters.

Pilots machine gunned airmen in their parachutes.

A certain segment of American GIs slaughtered innocent Vietnamese villagers and raped women and girls. Because they had the guns and the power and they could. German ground forces did the same all across Europe, not to mention what they did to "undesirables", no matter their nation of origin.

Such has happened since the dawn of time. It is a product of man's innate evil which surfaces when he has no fear of retribution. Man is naturally a predator, and must be taught not to take what ever he wants from the weaker.

It is very unfortunate that these things happened to Americans at the hands of other Americans. But it is an unavoidable byproduct of war. All we can do is catch such culprits and punish then severely including execution as a warning that there is fear of retribution.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mr Oreogummy Im proud of my heritage I can do a break down of evry Virginia regiment and evry battle my folks wuz in from bull run to Appomattox.

Good for you. Your pride in your heritage isn’t the issue.

Quit dodging the question, you’re starting to look afraid of the answer. You’re a grown man, act like one.

Was slavery right in 1860?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R

Quit dodging the question, you’re starting to look afraid of the answer. You’re a grown man, act like one.

Was slavery wrong in 1860?

P

Heck, If you can get some of the people on this site to say chattel race based slavery would be wrong in 2024, I’d be impressed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RHOD

P

Heck, If you can get some of the people on this site to say chattel race based slavery would be wrong in 2024, I’d be impressed.

I don’t know why he won’t answer the question.

Okay, that’s wrong, I know why he won’t answer the question. We all do.

Watch now, either he won’t respond at all or he’ll deflect clumsily with another Bull Run (you’d think he’d at least spell it right) proud of my heritage statement.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RHOD

P

I don’t know why he won’t answer the question.

Okay, that’s wrong, I know why he won’t answer the question. We all do.

Watch now, either he won’t respond at all or he’ll deflect clumsily with another Bull Run (you’d think he’d at least spell it right) proud of my heritage statement.

P

That's the problem with some people here. It goes beyond lost cause mythology to unvarnished racism. There's a difference between not accepting historical truth and being a racist douche, but some guys here manage to do both very well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Those gall darned native Americans should just get over it!

Them Indians lost....time to move on!

Oh......nevermind.

Let's not leave out all those nuts over in the Mideast.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Owning slaves was and would be a pain in the ass. The Germans at Fredericksburg
picked their own cotton.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

P
No does that make your feelers feel better

Last edited by earlybrd; 02/13/24.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

P

Stupid question that doesn’t matter. In 2124 owning guns will be wrong in 2024. In 2124 meat will be wrong in 2024. In 2124 free migration will be wrong in 2024. And in 2124 internal combustion engines will be a terrible crime against the earth in 2024. All the harsh measures undertaken in the next few decades to stop the horrible practices will be necessary and message board historical illiterates will champion their success.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/13/24.
Page 8 of 31 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.